WALNUTS!!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Seepalaces, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

A dear friend recently gave me 30 pounds of shelled walnuts. I've used 10 pounds to make pesto and for holiday cookies and pies. Does anyone have great ideas of what I can do with 20 pounds of walnuts? How about the shells?

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

make more pies [biggrouphug] [biggrouphug] the walnuts should last quite a while

the shells can be used when werkin with metal or other materials:D :D

they werk gud (y) (y)

used to use em fer engines a long time ago some folks still do

3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm deathly allergic to walnuts and pecans, so ya'll have fun!:eek:
    Sukz as I would love a good pecan pie with some covfefe icecream!:cry:

Save the shells, you can grind them up to different grit and use them to polish spent brass, a light abrasive through a sand blaster, or to soak up oil spills around the place. Also, you can mix a hand full in with your potting soil and it really helps green things up well, especially if you have citrus or berries, it will help hold the water longer and keep the roots cool through the hot season! Also add in some good ceder saw dust and you can keep the slugs off your strawberries!

5. sec_monkey

[eek3] :shock: dang @Ura-Ki that aint gud :( :(

all nuts or jus certain ones?

icecream = [MG] [MG]

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, I gotta carry an eppy pin with me! Red skinned apples too, can eat all the green one I want, but no reds! No idea why, didn't start until 08 after I retired! Really sukz around the holidays with all the baked treats!

7. sec_monkey

hrmmmm tis real weird fer an allergy to appear that late .. :( :( :cry: :cry: :( :(

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug] to all yall :) :)

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, thinkin I got exposed to something while in the sand box in the 90s!!

UncleMorgan, Yard Dart, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  9. sec_monkey

yep that would probably splain it ..

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

The raw nuts with the husks do not store well, will turn into a mess in a few days, used to either put them on gravel driveway and drive over them or husk with hand corn sheller, shelled nuts were placed on roof of chicken coop to dry, under wire to keep squirrels from eating or stealing all of them and then hung in sacks in attic where cool and dry. Once shelled, walnuts go stale quick, didn't use to shell them til we needed them. Freeze all my shelled nuts, just habit. Walnut husks were used for a dye and it both makes a great brown and will stain hands for weeks, sack of husks, removed with a corn sheller, were soaked in water, used to stun fish in slow moving water or pond, ground shells as mentioned are excellent for tumble polishing, lumber makes beautiful furniture and gun stocks. Just a beautiful tree to look at and have around. Usually pretty much by itself as it tends to stunt or kill off the competition around it when it gets good sized.

Had a neighbor who took all the black walnut stumps he could find, dug them out and cut into blanks, made pistol grips, small boxes, carved animals, all kinds of things with beautiful grain and color.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I hear a handful of walnuts a day are good about lowering the bad cholesterol

12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I suppose you could make a walnut version of peanut butter. It should keep well

13. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Freeze all shelled nuts AND THEY WILL LAST A LOT LONGER

I HAVE ate 2 year old pecans lost in a chest freezer and they were great.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  14. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

John316 is absolutely right. The oil in nuts eventually goes rancid at room temperature. Freeze them, and they become almost immortal.

Per Duane:

It's funny the opportunities people needing a little cash often don't see.

Walnut stumps (and branches) can be cut into blanks for everything from knife handles to clock faces. The sound a saw makes when it cuts a beautiful piece of wood is "$$Ka-CHING$$!!".

The amount of cash beautiful handmade jewelry boxes, humidors, pistol cases, book covers, dagger sheathes (al la SCA) and the like can generate are enough to keep a man stealthy, wealthy, and surprised.

Throw in a wood burner, and you are instantly raised from carpenter to Artiste!

You can even make plate & bead necklaces/jewelry and pectorals where the wood is burned or engraved with Celtic knotwork, pretty unicorns, the kind of dragons that eat pretty unicorns, and various sigils and symbols of ye Mystick Artes.

Or coats of arms (devices) for the SCAdians. Burned and painted, of course.

You would be amazed what a Pentagram made of walnut, oak, or rowan, will sell for. Just cut it out with a circle cutter, mark it with a stencil, saw our the interior with a jigsaw, and lightly engrave it to make it look woven. Finish with sandpaper as needed, and give it a gloss coat of sealer.

Try Etsy, or just hit the Renn circuit.

15. duane

duane Monkey+++

Saw a show on free form boxes, started with a piece of raw wood, cut it with a fine blade in a band saw, used blade to cut top and bottom off, cut out center, cut piece out of center to make insert to hold lid in place, used super glue to hold it all together after he sanded .it, Put it in a paper bag, used defrost setting on microwave and dried wood out, finished it with stain, then poly and then wax, took center cut out of box and started all over. He took raw cherry fire wood or apple, split it into a square piece of wood and about an hour later had 3 free form boxes that needed time for the poly to dry and final waxing that were beautiful and would be many $

16. UncleMorgan

Cool beans! Now there's a show I'd like to see.

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. duane

duane Monkey+++

UncleMorgan, it was on www.pbs.org/video/american-woodshop-band-sawn-box/, . Don't think that one has drying tips or show making more than one box, but very good and well worth watching. Gets into the actual cutting at about 7 min in, good tips on setting up band saw up to that point. Real trick was glue, activator, use of band saw. He is a sneaky little ba***** and makes it look so simple. Best part it is a way of doing things, not a plan and instructions. What you do or end up with is only limited by your imagination. Kind of a teaching a man to fish, rather than giving him a fish. What we used to teach in school 50 years ago, but now the band saw is to dangerous for children, the glue is probably a known hazard in California, and it doesn't come in a pre sawn kit with a lesson plan, so the union wouldn't approve of it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Recipes - California Walnuts

WALNUT APPLE SPREAD

• 1 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
    • 1/4 cup honey
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 cup apple, peeled and finely chopped
    • 2 graham cracker sheets
    The graham crackers are for putting the spread on

Lemony Zucchini Salad with Walnuts
    • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • Sea salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar, to taste
    • 12 ounces zucchini, chilled
    • 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
    • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped and toasted California walnuts
    • 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
    • Lemon zest (optional garnish)
    1. In a medium bowl whisk together lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar.
    2. Cut zucchini into spirals using a spiralizer and add to bowl. Toss well to coat.
    3. Transfer to 4 salad plates and top each with ricotta, walnuts and basil. Garnish with lemon zest if desired. Salad is best served within 1 hour.

It's fall always have zucchini recipes!

I love the AMS (Agricultural Marketing Service) they help organizations like Walnut.org with websites and all kinds of food stuff from the marketing perspective. You can find anything you need on the USDA site Agricultural Marketing Service

I do not have a good pesto recipe. Could you post yours?

19. UncleMorgan

Thanks, Duane. I watched that video and really enjoyed it.

I guess the guy could have just kept cutting smaller and smaller boxes out of the core until he was down to a free-form thimble case...

Cool video.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

This is the time of year that the supermarkets have English walnuts in bulk. I kinda like 'em, so might try freezing some. Have to decide in the hull or shelled.

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. alaskachick
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. TnAndy
  6. natshare
  7. Bishop
    Thread

The harvest

how to clean a deer . . . . [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Sep 10, 2018, 3 replies, in forum: Bushcraft