Wanted: Semi-auto handgun recommendations

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

MM this plus 10,000, Go to an indoor range, Play touchy feely with several that feels good, Rent it and put a few rounds down range, Don't hesitate to try several selections before you buy something you may not care for.
    Pretty much like buying shoes, Try on several pairs!

Idahoser, GOG, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

What I like about Glocks is that they run, period.

I used my competition (Stock) Glock 35 40S&W for over 4500 rounds with out cleaning just to see if I could get it to fail to load, fire or eject. It never did stop.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I gravitated towards the Glock (one time thought I would NEVER say that) but the M&P worked so well for the Mrs. we went that direction instead. I don't regret it, though.

GOG, AD1, Motomom34 and 1 other person like this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Personally have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9C (Compact) for concealed carry that the wife was there for the purchase of. Both she and my oldest daughter were comfortable with it from a handling perspective. Wife prefers to shoot it over most everything we've tried (with the exception of a .22 match pistol but...that's a different story).

Gator 45/70, GOG and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

But a steel gun means never having to say the dog ate my handgun.....;)

GOG, AD1, Gator 45/70 and 1 other person like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Who puts a pistol where a dog can get at it? I've seen the pictures of chewed up pistols, but all it tells me is that the owner is careless with firearms. Hope they don't have small kids running around...

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

THERE ARE AS MANY OPINIONS AS THERE ARE PISTOLS HA HA HA . Good luck picking one :)

Idahoser, Zimmy, VisuTrac and 4 others like this.
  8. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Colt model 1911 .45 auto. When your life depends on it get a real gun ,not a plastic toy.

9. Unique

Unique Monkey

Primary reasons I like Glunks
    1) It's a simple design and that's part of what makes it work so well. Historically, Glock has had 1 basic pistol design. Some of that may is changing now, but it really didn't with Gens 1-3 and (arguably) Gen 4. It scaled the design up or down depending on caliber and purpose, but every design was basically the same collection of ~35 parts.

2) That simplicity makes for really, really easy cleaning & replacement of parts. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I can get my Glock from "EDC" (in my holster with a mag and one in the chamber) to "ready for the Hoppe's" in about 10 seconds. Without hurrying. I was also able to replace the broken spring I had using a pencil eraser after watching a Youtube video. I honestly don't think there's much of anything I could not replace on my Glock without hiring a gunsmith. In practice you can purchase any spare part you may need for a Glock now as part of your preps. I also like the fact that the 26/19/&17 will all run off of 17 magazines which are about 10 bucks cheaper than S&W magazines (assuming OEM magazines which is all I use)

3) If you hate it, you can almost always sell a Glock. Their reputation for reliability is undeniable. (Whether that reputation is true, or whether they're really more reliable than their competitors, . . . . may be subject to debate, but it's undeniable that they have the reputation.) Because they've been so popular & widely used for so long, there's always someone looking to buy a Glock.

Idahoser, AD1, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  10. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

FWIW, I generally recommend 9mm, and the Sig 226 variants for full size (personal combat pistol is Sig 226 Mk25), and for EDC I personally run the Glock 43, but the new Sig P365 looks nice as well. Some people really love the Shields if they're picky about grip feel.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I need hand surgery. That became clear after trying bigger pistols. After 20 mins of shooting and then having issues with the slide, now I know why I always fall back to my Ruger Rimfire. I do not think doing hand exercises is going to solve this issue.

GOG, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Weak hand, pmr30 then.
    The slide is very easy to rack, barks like a 380acp, KE like a 22lr from a rifle definitely enough to ruin someones weekend, with recoil close to that of any other 22lr pistol.

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

In a 9mm look at the M&P Shield - easy to rack, felt recoil less than the full size version (I think due to less moment of arm due to the compact design), adjustable grip inserts.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Go with a 9mm. Cheaper and more available ammo.

As for types, you should handle each type that catches YOUR eye and make a decision. As far as reliability goes, Glock and SIG Sauer have my respect. G19, G17, P228 and P226 would be my first choices.

Good luck.

Just noticed your hand surgery issue. A 5.7 mm Five-Seven pistol has almost NO recoil. My wife went to this platform due to arthritis problems. Keep in mind it is a very costly weapon, but very accurate with no hurting of the hands.

Elite Ammo manufactures mil-grade ammo for it for self defense.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018
    Motomom34 likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tack, you get full agreement on the handling before buying plan.

So far as the 5-7 goes, not only is the weapon itself WAY costly, ammo is hard to find, at least in my experience trying to find it for my cousin, who has also had problems finding it. He bought the gun for prestige not for real duty and has regretted it for more than any other reason than the cost of practice.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The FN 5.7x28 pistol is superb, but they cost around $800 and ammo is around $25 to $35 for a box of 50.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Lone Gunman likes this.
  18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

@motomom34

This is a crazy topic ripe for disagreement.

I have a few questions:

How far away with your rimfire handgun can you hit a coke can reliably? 6/10 at least.

How far away do you feel you should shoot at someone with your handgun? Legally, morally, and proficiently?

What caliber handguns haven’t cause you difficulties? Which have?

Which caliber handguns do you think you can learn to shoot with proficiency although you probably won’t shoot them recreationally due to discomfort?

Do you prefer pistols or revolvers?

How big of a carry gun will you really carry every day? Is weight or size the most important factor?

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Zimmy

How far away with your rimfire handgun can you hit a coke can reliably? 6/10 at least.
    That sounds about correct, 10 to 15.

How far away do you feel you should shoot at someone with your handgun? Legally, morally, and proficiently?
    No more then 6-10 feet because a threat is the only reason. If it is more, I have a chance to get away safely. That is what you are supposed to do. That is what our teacher taught.

What caliber handguns haven’t cause you difficulties? Which have?
    My rimfire and .380 are easy. My .38 special is small- but I have less control and it jars me more. Not sure if it is the grip/design or what but I am not as proficient with it.

Which caliber handguns do you think you can learn to shoot with proficiency although you probably won’t shoot them recreationally due to discomfort?
    Your questions are great and they are having me re-examine. I know what has worked. I see the design, the weight, grip but your first question has me thinking. I have a pistol that I love, can shoot properly but I also have a .380 that I can shoot, that causes no pain but I lost faith in the gun itself. Making me think I should just get another .380 that is better made. Ammo is is not as popular and others but I have seen a trend of .380 becoming more popular.

Do you prefer pistols or revolvers?
    Pistols. Used to be a revolver girl

How big of a carry gun will you really carry every day? Is weight or size the most important factor?
    .380 or 38 special. Yes, weight matters so does size. Notice that I carry the two I am not 100% liking.

3M-TA3 and Lone Gunman like this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Sounds like you have it figured out. Try out a Sig 238, maybe

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. hank2222
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. T. Riley
  6. hank2222
  7. AxesAreBetter