WARNING - Do Not Load Facebook Messenger!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mountainman, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Below is the 13 permissions under "Review individual permissions". This kind of crap is why I will never have a Fakebook account.

Review app permissions - Google Play Help

"Note: Over time, the Android operating system may introduce new capabilities and features. Permissions groups may change as new capabilities are added to the Android operating system.

An app can ask you to make purchases inside the app.

An app can use one or more of the following:

• Read sensitive log data
    • Retrieve system internal state
    • Read your web bookmarks and history
    • Retrieve running apps
    An app can use settings that control your mobile data connection and potentially the data you receive.

An app can use your account and/or profile information on your device.

Identity access may include the ability to:

• Find accounts on the device
    • Read your own contact card (example: name and contact information)
    • Modify your own contact card
    • Add or remove accounts
    An app can use your device’s contacts and/or calendar information.

Contacts and calendar access may include the ability to:

• Read your contacts
    • Modify your contacts
    • Read calendar events plus confidential information
    • Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge
    An app can use your device’s location.

Location access may include:

• Approximate location (network-based)
    • Precise location (GPS and network-based)
    • Access extra location provider commands
    • GPS access
    An app can use your device’s text messaging (SMS) and/or multimedia media messaging service (MMS). This group may include the ability to use text, picture, or video messages.

Note: Depending on your plan, you may be charged by your carrier for text or multimedia messages. SMS access may include the ability to:

• Receive text messages (SMS)
    • Read your text messages (SMS or MMS)
    • Receive text messages (MMS, like a picture or video message)
    • Edit your text messages (SMS or MMS)
    • Send SMS messages; this may cost you money
    • Receive text messages (WAP)
    An app can use your phone and/or its call history.

Note: Depending on your plan, you may be charged by your carrier for phone calls.

Phone access may include the ability to:

• Directly call phone numbers; this may cost you money
    • Write call log (example: call history)
    • Read call log
    • Reroute outgoing calls
    • Modify phone state
    • Make calls without your intervention
    An app can use files or data stored on your device.

Photos/Media/Files access may include the ability to:

• Read the contents of your USB storage (example: SD card)
    • Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    • Format external storage
    • Mount or unmount external storage
    An app can use your device’s camera and/or microphone.

Camera and microphone access may include the ability to:

• Take pictures and videos
    • Record audio
    • Record video
    An app can access your device’s Wi-Fi connection information, like if Wi-Fi is turned on and the name(s) of connected devices.

Wi-Fi connection information access may include the ability to:

• View Wi-Fi connections
    An app can access your device ID(s), phone number, whether you’re on the phone, and the number connected by a call.

Device ID & call information may include the ability to:

• Read phone status and identity
    An app can use custom settings provided by your device manufacturer or application-specific permissions.

Note: If an app adds a permission that is in the "Other" group, you'll always be asked to review the change before downloading an update.

Other access may include the ability to:

• Read your social stream (on some social networks
    • Write to your social stream (on some social networks)
    • Access subscribed feeds
    When you review individual permissions, all permissions, including those not displayed in the permissions screen, will be shown in the "Other" group."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I don't have an Android phone, and so I don't think this will be problem. I have pretty much quit using alot of the apps on regular Facebook anyway.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Not into Facebook.

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't have an android but I still am getting very irritated with FB. I allegedly have my account settings on high but I googled myself the other month and there was my personal picture on google images. FB was the only place I put that picture. I am now very cautious of anything I post on FB. One day my whole FB history will be out there for the whole world to see.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Google Play is discussing the apps... not all apps will do these things.. But some will... Take a close look at any apps that you down load... and remember ... Caveat Emptor... Let the buyer Beware

Mountainman and kellory like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It likely already is, moto.
    I watched my son on Facebook access a page he was not welcome on. He did it simply by going through the people who did have access. Each person you allow to see your page has friends who can see their page and friends beyond that who can see their page. By accessing ANY of those pages and using their permissions, he was able to skip through them like links in a chain to the page he wanted. (,a page that did not allow him entry, said "welcome".)
    It is said, that there are only 15
    Degrees of seperation between everyone on earth. So of ANY ONE of those pages has a security leak, then so do you. I am not on Facebook at all.

7. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I was on Facebook for a couple of weeks several years ago. After a week or so I have people "friending" me whom I had not seen since the early 1970's and frankly speaking, I had moved 600 miles away from because I no longer wished to be associated with.

Deleted my account and never looked back.

BTPost and Mountainman like this.
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have to admit that I do have a Fakebook account, but there is only one (not me) picture on it and all the other info is false. Only accessed with my old computer and never my phone. Got it so I could access other peoples pages.

9. HK_User

Still your ISP can track you.

Mountainman likes this.
  10. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

i have recently deleted spacebook from my phone. do you believe that at the beginning of this week they somehow made my "Iphone 5s 64gb" phone jump out of my pocket and into a bucket of water, they knew that i had taken my lifeproof case off temporarily. So to fight back i have been cell phone free all week and it has been some what liberating. It has been tough trying to run a business, but when i get to the office i have a list of calls to return and throw away the ones i dont want. [sarc2]

(I did drop my expensive pocket computer of a phone in a bucket of water after deleting facebook, TRUE STORY)

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Speaking of Facebook, the other day I decided to check out the CDC's page on it, to see what they're saying about Ebola, and what people are commenting about it. Now I know who will be the first to die from the outbreak. The people who A: think the CDC will protect them and there's nothing to worry about, and B: the people who apparently have nothing better to do than argue with each over grammatical/spelling issues. That will really help when you're in 'isolation/quarantine'. You'll be able to spell them right.

12. HK_User

Right! I was once a member on a site that had a lot of spiel checkers as well as the know nothings of anything near tehie as well as the self announced academics.

That site is now as stagnet as a septic pool.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7