Warning. Don't wait for the 'I told you so'

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by melbo, Nov 24, 2007.

1. jash

jash Monkey+++

But could we put together a manufacturing base. Met a guy from WV who had 1500 applicants for a specialized welding job in the 70's and when it came available two years ago they couldn't find anyone with the actual skill. We are so service orientred that people who have actual honest to god skills seem to be disappearing. Why make something when you can buy it at walmart? Or why fix anything? Just throw it away and buy another.

2. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

jash, check the expansion of production during WWII. "Rosie the Riveter" didn't know how to rivet until her first day on the job.

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

There would be a time of adjustment to a point but basicly the folks who already have the skills would be in top demand and would give no the job training to folks willing to learn. One reason not many folks have a lot of those skills is they know there isnt a arket for them so they work on learning other things but a lot of us would jump at the chance to make an honest wage for most any kind of job and be willing and able to learn. Main problem at present is most of the companies would rather pay pennies in a third world country than anything here so even with the limited number of workers here there are still more workers for most skilled labor jobs that there are jobs for them so theres no demand and the pay for those jobs goes down accordingly then noone else wants to learn that trade so they can compete for mid pay jobs.

4. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Ain't that the truth. I was a machist for 10 years. I got my training in Wis. at the time I could walk into any shop in the area and start the next day making 16-21 dollars an hour. Then I moved down here and started working for some companies that sent me around the country doing jobs for other companies on contract. A couple of years ago I went on a job back up to Wis. I looked in the Sunday paper classifieds the same one that use to have a page or two of jobs for machists and there 2 yes count them 2 jobsd listed. Both of them offering 10-12 dollars/hour and you had to several years experance. I was making that much half way through my aprenticeship!!!!!!

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7