Wash Your Hands!

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Sounds simple and we all have been doing it since we were children. Some of us may still be properly washing our hands. But do you? I bring this subject up because today once again the hand towel in the bathroom was dirty. A dirty cloth towel is a contaminated towel. After looking at the hand-towel, I decided to have a how to wash your hands properly conversation with the boys.And since there is a spot of what looks like engine oil, I think we also need some stronger soap options.

IMG_5184.JPG

Here is how to properly wash your hands:

Wet your hands with clean water — warm, if available — and apply soap. Lather by rubbing hands together; be sure to cover all surfaces. Continue rubbing hands together for 15 to 20 seconds — sing "Happy Birthday" twice in your head.

I believe that people are in a hurry and they may wash their hands but it is so quickly done that the germs are not removed. Singing Happy Birthday twice takes longer then it sounds.

Handwashing Facts and Stats
    • On average, you come into contact with 300 surfaces every 30 minutes, exposing you to 840,000 germs.
    • Only about 5% of people wash their hands correctly.
    • Most people only wash their hands for 6 seconds.
    • Around 33% of people don’t use soap when washing their hands.
    • Up to 80% of communicable diseases are transferred by touch.
    • Proper handwashing can reduce diarrhea rates by 40% and respiratory infections by close to 20%.
    • Failing to wash hands correctly contributes to nearly 50% of all foodborne illness outbreaks.
    • Only 20% of people wash their hands before preparing food, and 39% before eating food.
    • About 7% of women and 15% of men do not wash their hands at all after using the bathroom.
    • Most bacteria on our hands is on the fingertips and under the nails. The number of bacteria on our fingertips doubles after using the bathroom. Most people wash the palms of their hands and miss everything else.
    • Damp hands are 1,000x more likely to spread bacteria than dry hands. Only about 20% of people dry their hands after washing them.
    • There is fecal matter on 10% of credit cards, 14% of banknotes and 16% of cellphones.
    • Approximately 39% of people don’t wash their hands after sneezing, coughing or after blowing their nose.
    • Elevator buttons harbor 22% more bacteria than toilet seats.
    • Reminder signs are successful in encouraging more handwashing.
    • Dirty sinks result in less handwashing.
    • Handwashing rates are higher in the mornings than evenings.
    17 Handwashing Facts and Statistics

What if you are out and about? How do you clean your hands? I really dislike pumping gas because those nozzles are filthy.Please note: hand sanitizer is not the same as washing your hands.

john316, Hanzo, Grandpa Patch and 4 others like this.
  2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

My son (middle) washes his hands as follows, and sees nothing wrong with it when pointed out:
    1. Turn on water, warm-ish...or not. Running water is important though...apparently
    2. Pump soap onto a dry hand. Foam or not, doesn't matter, just pump that soap onto A dry hand (not both)
    3. Put hand with soap on it under the water as you begin to start to commence to proceed to rub your hands together. Evidently it is crucial to wash most, if not all of the soap off before it can come into contact with more than say, a quarter sized patch of skin
    4. Continue to F&*$ around with your hands under the running water for 15-20 seconds, "rubbing your hands together vigorously"...for some reason...no idea why
    5. "Rinse" your hands
    6. Dry your hands
    I don't get this and when I point out that he is wasting water and soap he looks at me like "You are using words that I recognize, but for the life of me I don't get putting them in that order..."

Love him to pieces but, ugh, whatever.

duane, Grandpa Patch, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I had "Wash your hands" pounded into my noggin at the ER.

I had a guy at work the other day asked if I was bathing.

"Nope." I said, "Just keeping the flu away."

Gator 45/70, chelloveck, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  4. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Question?? If you wash your hands with vodka then drink the wash, is that useful recycling?

john316, Hanzo, Cruisin Sloth and 6 others like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

nope

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This is a good post , especially this time of year with the Flu moving thru the country .

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I worked in production on cardiac stents . before entering the clean room you washed your hands and put your gown on and then put on 3 pairs of gloves ,some of more, some less, depending on their job.
    I had no problem with that except that the machine I performed my work on was like a sand blast cabinet I had t force my hands into because the glove in the cabinet was too small on top of all the gloves I was required to wear .
    Other jobs I've had as a mechanic wearing gloves is a novel concept but not practical. it's much easier to wash hands .
    Gloves get contaminated and work gloves are not cheap latex gloves tear just picking up equipment . If your dealing with sharp things that are contaminated those work gloves became sacrificial /disposable .
    But working on equipment it's just not practical to be stopping to glove when a rag takes care of the temporary problem .
    I wear gloves while driving both my car and motorcycle and wear gloves working with brush and sheet metals ,they are a good valuable tool and have pairs setting all over the place . an important tool in survival if you must deal with the ill or dead or blood .
    You can't always wash your hands , but wearing gloves I think should come back as a cultural necessity .
    I am not fearful of germs ,my body has a good strong immune system ,and in the winter time I add cider vinegar to my diet , but it is reasonable that folks that go to the store consider wearing gloves while shopping and driving .
    Something comfortable and something sacrificial .
    Harbor freight has good deals on gloves of all sorts .
    One last thing, I don't care what people think of me wearing gloves especially driving or on the motorcycle. In the event there is an accident , wearing gloves puts me at an advantage dealing with broken glass and torn sheet metal. an insulator against hot steel or melted plastic . I have dealt with gasoline on fire on me and the places with the least damage were those covered .
    You wear shoes to protect your feet ,because if you go lame you can't work , If you life depends on your hands, they should have similar care.

duane, Ganado, Hanzo and 3 others like this.
  8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

9. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Who uses white towels , THEY show the grime
    Black and when they crinkle there done , into the fire starter bucket .
    Same as clothes , I've never had a problem get a seat on a bus . ;)

I haven't done a bus in years 1994-95 in @Hanzo state !!

This I do Before and after all the time . Plus use the paper towel to leave .
    I see many just squirt & leave !!

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do and you are correct they show grime but if you wash your hands properly, the towel should stay white longer.

Gator 45/70 and Grandpa Patch like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There was a company that sold a product called basic H . It was a hand cleaner that one could apply before work and simply wash off when done . Seemed like a good idea at the time but I don't know what happened to it.

13. Just looked up Basic H. Appears to still be available. It's a Shaklee product.

14. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Most of the time I also use soap to wash my hands in my home. I avoid to use towel in the hotel.

15. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Then there are those who don't bother. I was called to HR for going off on our general manager for taking a leak (right beside me), walking straight to the door, grabbing the handle and walking out. I called him a nasty m****F**** and told him no one wanted his junk on their hands when they grabbed the handle. I got a stern warning but not fired because I told them I would go to a competing news station with the story.
    Then I started taking notice, probably 10% don't wash at all and 80% just run a little water over their fingers. Ugh! Then someone comes along and touches the same things.:sick:

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  16. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

We call them the "unwashed masses."

duane, Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ha, its worse than those percentage's. 100% if they sitting on the throne playing with those cell phone's.
    All of em carry that gas attacked cell phone out the door covered with gas attack airborne particles.
    Does my cell phone smell da faus?

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. jefferson
  15. fl4848
  16. HK_User
  17. Ganado
  18. Ganado
  19. hot diggity
  20. Ganado