Washington State Mudslide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Mar 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

108 people may be missing in Washington state mudslide, authorities said | Fox News
    [angelsad]

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and Georgia_Boy like this.
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[angelsad]Been watching that one.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is so awful and tragic. I look at the overhead pictures and wonder where did the mud come from. I know that I plan for the dangers in my area, fire being the biggest threat. I wonder if mudslides have been an issue in this area, it looks like it was an area high up.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, Mud Slides are very common in that river valley, as well as most river valleys in western Washington State. This was just a larger than normal Slide, and due to saturated Ground, typical in Spring, in this area.

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm hoping no one I knew when I lived in Snohomish county are those who died(or had family/friends die). Don't need that right now. I don't think mudslides are a direct threat to us in our current location, but they could be a problem because there could be ones on the way into Klamath Falls which would cut our access off to supplies and (emergency) medical treatment.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Hope they have one in Chiloquin to get rid of the problems there!

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Natural disasters, the worst kind. Prayers of those taken and for their families.

Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Having lived in Chiloquin for a year and a half, I don't think a mudslide would help. I think you're S.O.L. there, Mountainman ;)

Mountainman likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thanks for posting that picture YD. It give more of a perspective of what happened. Those overhead shots were confusing.

I wonder if the river will be on a different path now.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

It doesn't look like the river was moved much - from what I've seen before and after - but I could be wrong, too.

MMom - where there's rain, there's mud. Mus is prevalent (an understatement) here in the NW. When contractors build where the ground is unstable; mud slides. Innocent people (ones with no geology report - or ones willing to take the chance) suffer.

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

The river backed up for a bit behind the slide but fortunately it cut a new channel through the debris and prevented additional flooding.

I suspect there are going to be some significant law suits out of this tragedy if they can prove that there was some geological studies found saying this area was prone to slides.....which I have heard was the case. Either way, a lot of folks have lost their lives and many are struggling to find the missing still. The news here is pretty much nothing but this recovery effort as it is just an hour away from Seattle....

13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

YD , Find the before pictures from 2006-8 time & then at 2012 or just before 2014 the slide , It shows clear cutting logging . The pictures I found on sunday night have been pulled. Some show the lighter green from young saplings.

Just this year there have been five snow slides & since 2000, about 5 mud / mountain slides up here in BC Canada. It's just that the news stops at 49 going south. Those folks trying to help could also be in grave danger ,due to the rain & the river blockage .. The last slide we had up here in BC , Non-Equipped helpers also became a statistic, If you can't breath under snow , mud is so much worse.

Link of slides just in 2012 :
    bc landslides 2012 - Google Search

Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

[​IMG] This pic was from Komo news website.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

Very sad. Lets hope the SAR crews stay safe, and we don't end up with more casualties. Still praying someone else comes out alive.

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I would think skis would work on mud better than snow shoes.

1. hot diggity
  2. arleigh
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. Motomom34
  5. HK_User
  6. HK_User
  7. Hosster
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7