Watching The "News"

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by jim2, Dec 9, 2022.

1. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Got a good laugh out of the Austin, Texas news tonight. One of the lesser bright lights of the media breathlessly exclaimed that 30% of the news items on the internet were proven to be false! This from a group of professional liars that refuse to use the truth even when it would work better for them than a lie. I am guessing that the MSM is about 99% false or inaccurate on a great day?

One just cant make up stuff like this.

jim

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Watch local news, not network news. Network news is all about ratings, not news. Even the local news has network BS that the stations are required to read, but you get unbiased local coverage most of the time.

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Haven't been to Austin Texas I see. :D Of the four predominate network affiliates the weather is the only somewhat unbiased reporting. Austin leads all the other major metro areas in local liberal bullshit reporting by a looooong mile. I lived there over six years.

4. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

So the internet has a %70 accuracy rate? That actually sounds pretty decent seeing as anything on the idiot box is 50/50 at best.

JW

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 2 others like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

MSN has become propaganda news for both sides. NEWS with black X and white Y and 90 % not news but infotanaiment with everything repeated every 15 minutes and 10 minutes of ads has lead me to not even turn on the TV most days except for black and white cowboy shows, Wagon Train, Rawhide, etc.

Younger generation, under 30 ish in particular have been brainwashed by the educational system to believe it all and to be willing to "suffer" for the common good. Will ask for clean towels when they take them to the death showers and go without them like the good Germans did in the 1940's. Hope it never comes to that, but didn't think we would be ignoring possibility of nuke war with Russia over the Ukraine either. Was that "color revolution" we arranged with the Ukraine the equal of the Poland game in the beginning of WW2? Didn't work out well in the long run. The sanctions on the Japanese in about 1940 worked out well.We knew they would give in right up till Dec 7, didn't we.

6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I stopped watching the news when Obummer took power it was an insult to my intelligence and sit their and have them blatantly lie to me. Pravda is alive and well in the USA just under a different name ---CNN, MSNBC, The local news I stopped watching when they refuse to tell you the race of some one committing crimes --unless of course they are white.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    duane, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I never watch ABC, NBC, or CBS News. Haven't watched PBS News programs for 25 years. It is very difficult these days to get real news reporting without opinion dominating the report. As said, there is a competition for ratings and audience in order to attract advertisers and the distortion and sensationalizing of news has been driven by advertiser money.

duane, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 2 others like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I hate to say it, but Radio Havana is more truthful than the US msm...

9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

BBC on shortwave isn't bad either.

duane, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Anything they repeat multiple times over and over and anything they say any government body recommends is automatically deemed false at this point.

duane, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

from what I understand, Austin is to TX as Memphis is to TN.

duane, oldawg, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

img - 2022-02-20T213524.449.

duane, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I remember resisting the temptation to throw objects at the TV in the late 80s when Tom Brokaw was Mr. Popular news guy. I knew full well that the majority of people were swallowing his trash reporting hook line and sinker. That's what pissed me off more than anything.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    SB21, duane, Dunerunner and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Local news is okay, now when they switch to national news we know its a load of croc.
    Even the weather man admits he gets it wrong sometimes.

SB21, duane and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have always avoided the "news". Been too biased and politicised. It's bad when the news reports from unfriendly foreign news agencies is more honest and believable than that of the 'ol US of A.

SB21, duane, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

In my career I am privy to first hand knowledge of many many significant incidents which make the news. I have generally found that 1/3 is wrong 1/3 is mis-stated or incorrect detail (as opposed to being false entirely) and 1/3 is close enough. I am 100% sure that it is not only the things in my space that this applies to.....

SB21, duane, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

An increasingly popular tactic challenges conventional wisdom on the spread of electoral disinformation: the creation of partisan outlets masquerading as local news organizations. An investigation by the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia Journalism School has discovered at least 450 websites in a network of local and business news organizations, each distributing thousands of algorithmically generated articles and a smaller number of reported stories. Of the 450 (Ed now 1200+) sites we discovered, at least 189 were set up as local news networks across ten states within the last twelve months by an organization called Metric Media.

more at Hundreds of ‘pink slime’ local news outlets are distributing algorithmic stories and conservative talking points - Columbia Journalism Review (cjr.org)

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

duane, VisuTrac and mysterymet like this.
  19. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

CNN is essentially dead as news outlet. The Trump psychosis isn't selling with their audience and many have bailed leaving the network on the edge of being a non-player in cable news. Late night has shifted to FOX, and the other late night shows are earning the poorest ratings in history. Local channels mouth the talking points of their parent networks and with possibly the exception of the weather and the parent network sitcoms, they are meaningless.

Who knows what the truth is anymore....?

duane likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7