Water Barrel Tower Project

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by ditch witch, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Is this for ascetics or to hide the barrels from causal view.. Just curious as to your thinking

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

It's because I like to complicate the chit out of every project I take on, to ensure it never reaches completion.

Both actually. I don't want to look at that thing every time I go through the garage, and I don't want the crazy lady across the street thinking I've got barrels of anhydrous stocked in the garage.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I completely understand... I have love/hate relationship with my nosy neighbors.. same with my cluttered garage

4. ditch witch

Finally getting the faucets on. The first ones I had leaked big time, so if you ever decide to do something similar do not buy these. King Drum & Barrel Faucet 3/4 " Mpt - Utility Sink Faucets - Amazon.com

20150502_115734 (1).
    Filling them up now, so far bottom and middle are full and no leaks. Top one was leaking ever so slightly where the male connector goes into the bung so drained barrel and put sealant on there. No more leaky.
    20150502_115848 (1).

5. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Great thread. We need a better system, like yours, for our cabin.

Did you decide not to connect them? I think that would be better. More parts, more chance of fail. IDK.

6. ditch witch

I had a couple of ideas floating around but in the end the old Keep It Simple Stupid prevailed. I tend to complicate things to the point I never get them finished, trying to break that habit.

They don't hold the full 55 gallons since they're on their sides and only full up to the bottom edge of the top bung, but I'm figuring there's 45 gallons in each one.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I think, were it me, I'd put a hole in the upper bung so the barrel can breathe. If bugs are a worry, a screen can be added.

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Then again, I'd put a 90 in that upper bung hole pipe, take it up about 4 inches, add a valve and get full use of the capacity and have a way to let the tank breath and keep bugs out.

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  9. HK_User

Try running a machine shop in your garage in the city with deed restriction and Inspectors.

Tully Mars likes this.
  10. HK_User

A typical Engineering Problem, the "Never Turn Loose of It" syndrome.

BTW, Mr Ford's Charcoal is a fire hazard and especially should it get wet and end up in a state of self combustion.

I normally keep mine in a storage container away from the house. And I did till all the storms and the sacks got wet. Placed the sacks outside to dry (in the shade).

Turned my back the cattle had eaten two sacks.

11. ditch witch

I just set the charcoal there while I'm dismantling the shelf it did sit on.

Maybe I'll go back later to jack with the top bung. For now, it's done and I have 20 other projects that need to be completed.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Natural wood charcoal is better :p

13. HK_User

I use Ford's charcoal product to burn out small stumps, I have a steel chimney affair to aid in draft and to control the burn area.

I BBQ with Mesquite.

14. ditch witch

We have a couple cords of mesquite and assorted fruit wood in the back yard for the wood fired grill. The other one uses pellets. Don't ask me why we have charcoal. We never use it. It's just a spider catcher.

I'm still not seeing how you can get the barrel full when it's on it's side. You can put a 90 degree with a stack on it, but that air inside is going to push upward and once the water level comes to the top of the bung hole, you're done. The air can't go down through the water and then back out the pipe. Right? You'd need like a piece of tubing going down through the pipe, then U-ing up to the top of the barrel so the air could escape as the water rose.

Tully Mars, Ganado, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  15. HK_User

I was not trying to complicate it but yes you could put a breather pipe inside the the tank, at the bung hole. Not that it is necessary, my intent was to allow a vent and a way to close it off.

Tully Mars, Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Certainly not criticizing... just a few thoughts to consider for next time. The faucets are at risk of being hit, banged, etc. with risk of the PVC or plug breaking. Bung plug, faucet, or plumbing attached to the plug can leak. Filling to brim is not easy nor draining the last couple gallons. And there is extra support needed for a drum not really designed to be on it's side. Why not just stand them up and fill/use them that way? (looks like in DW's situation they fit the space better laid down). But in general, leaving them standing upright solves lots of troubles. Oh, how to get the water out? Easy, siphon system. You could build a PVC siphon right into the bung with a faucet up close to the barrel.

AT

17. ditch witch

Once upon a time on another forum, there was a man who wanted to hide his 55 gallon water barrels away from prying eyes. He hit upon the brilliant solution to smuggle them into his attic and strap them to the rafters of his house, thinking not only would they be out of sight but with the addition of a hose or two he could easily have running water down below.

I will leave you to imagine what happened to the thousands of pounds of water barrels he hung from the rafters of his home.

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

DEPTH CHARGES, CAPTAIN!!!!!:eek:

Ganado likes this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It was a Great Idea, DW... accept "HE" didn't do the "Engineering" of the Structure, before he installed the containers.... Around here, it is Common Practice to build Water Storage into the Insulated Attics, of our Cabins, so that our Water doesn't Freeze Up in the Winters, and has Gravity Feed to the Kitchen and Hot Water Systems. If the cabin is warm, the domestic Water is liquid.....

Georgia_Boy, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  20. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

That's a nice build. In fact, one of the best I've ever seen. Screws are usually stronger than nails. Good move there. You've pretty well grounded out all of the compression loads, and that was well planned. Only one small suggestion, though: The time may come when both bottom barrels are empty and the top one is full, making your tower top-heavy. So, especially if you're in an earthquake, tornado, or hurricane zone, I'd recommend strapping the tower to the walls. 1" steel strap would do the job. Screw it into the studs, two straps per wall. With four straps at the top, you can be sure the tower will stay put, no matter what.

1. JackBlack
  2. jodirumph
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. DKR
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid