Water Barrel Tower Project

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by ditch witch, Apr 19, 2015.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Depends, for shear strength, nails are better, for pullout resistance screws are better.

Dear Builder's Engineer: Nails or Screws? | Builder Magazine | Construction, Associations, Austin-Round Rock, TX, Texas

Let’s assume we’re connecting a 2x of Doug Fir. Here are some strength values for different types of connectors from the NDS.

SHEAR SHEAR
    DIA Wood-Wood Metal-Wood PULLOUT
    * 16d common nail .162” 138 lb. 134 lb. 40 lb.
    * 16d sinker .148” 115 lb. 112 lb Not listed in table.
    * 16d box (nail gun) .131” 95 lb. 93 lb. 33 lb.
    * #6 screw .138" 71 lb. 70 lb. 141 lb.
    * #8 screw .164" 90 lb. 89 lb. 168 lb.

For this application I would say that more shear strength would be needed thus nails should be used. JMHO

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I would disagree. Screws would be my clear choice as well, because we are not worried as much about straight weight, and the torque and leverage applied to the fasteners should the structure start to lean or shift.
    Should the tower start to lean, how well the fasteners hold in pullout resistance is key to the tower's survival. (Jmho)

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

wood glue, then wood screw, and if you are still worried add a nail... or drill through and use bolts and washers...:)

4. kellory

Yep, tightbond is quite good. The glue is actually stronger than the wood.

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Remind me never to post a project on here... All the back seat driving... Geezzz

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I agree @Ganado. I personally didn't see much wrong with it and appreciated her sharing the idea. DW looked at her need and designed something took up little space. I saw a Doomday Prepper show and the people had barrels of water with a mattress on top. No spigot, just barrels of water. When SHTF people are going to be plenty busy. I like @ditch witch's set up because all she has to do is turn the spigot and water comes out. As for the freezing, I think depending on the location, some many not have to worry about that. IMO since the barrels are in a corner, next to a heated wall they should receive some warmth.

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

So, now you have hit the infamous Male/Female project Snafu.

If I read you correctly you have now decided to disconnect yourself from the interactions of others involving your projects.

What we have here is a failure to communicate across gender lines, most often seen in marriages as well as business settings. Men and their projects are familiar with being scrutinized, a give and take and a little BSing about what "would have worked better" or why did you not do so and so. This is just good natured ribbing and a way to get to know another's ways and skill sets.

OTOH, and take this as you will, women in a mostly home settings have a different out look on their projects and tend to mother hen them. If the old Man makes a comment it is usually followed from him "Yes Dear".

You may also note that when such things happen in public, private or on line "sides" are quickly chosen and it becomes one against another, you can fill in the blanks.

In short, chill out, live and learn and just consider all others on this Forum to be your friends and not your advisories.

YMMV

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol you could be right. And my 2 points for saying what I did are from having read all of this thread

1) DW said she was trying to keep it simple and hide in plain site. And she was generous in sharing that info. Many of the later posts completely missed these points

2) I don't see very many people posting their projects on here... Most of the comments in the beginning were well thought out with good questions being asked about her objectives. The last few are clueless... They obviously did not read the post and had to put in 2 cents that were either a repeat of what was already said or were inconsistent with DW's stated objectives

I have no use for lazy people who cannot take the time to ask what was intended but only pay attention to what only what happens between their ears.

What someone ' would have done' without actually doing the project and without understanding the intended objective is like going into a fire fight telling the chain of command how to lead the troops and not knowing the target.

For a forum to be successful you have to respect the original poster and do them the courtesy of reading their post and looking from their perspective... Not jumping in with a critique without knowing the plan. It's disrespectful.

As for chilling out...
    Gtfo @hk I will Never back down when I think something is wrong... Still like you lots HK but you are out of line

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Maybe IF you had posted #48 first instead of the blanket, Post t#43 "Remind me never to post a project on here" we could have known what you were upset about. But as you say "For a forum to be successful you have to respect the original poster and do them the courtesy of reading their post and looking from their perspective... Not jumping in with a critique without knowing the plan. It's disrespectful."

Said another way "For a forum to be successful you have to make yourself and your complaint clear the first time to prevent appearing disrespectful to others who post.

Knives and words cut both ways.

10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

( The tide came in? :) )

For practical attic water storage (assuming that we're talking about a typical 3-bedroom/2 bath house with a central load-bearing wall and a truss roof) 55 gallons of water can be safely stored by laying 37.5 feet of 6" PVC pipe across the ceiling rafters directly above and parallel to the load-bearing wall. The weight would be nicely distributed. Screw some verticals on each side of the pipe running up to the roof rafters at reasonable intervals and you could even stack three or more pipes vertically if you wished.

Long, skinny water-barrels, IOW.

No problem with weight: Each pipe is only about 12.23 lbs per ft, plus plastic. A stud wall should be able to handle that. A concrete wall definitely would.

If you have AC ducts in the attic, just solidly platform the pipes above them. Crawl space will be "somewhat restricted". Anticipate warm to pretty hot water. YMMV.

Overall, a little pricey for my taste, but doable.

11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

As I recall, he simply suspended them from the rafters with nylon tow straps or something... this was a long time ago, around '99... so I don't remember the entire story but it caved his roof in.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Very good POINT, there @UncleMorgan ..... Never thought of using the Skinny Barrel Idea.... Up here, we tend to use what we have, and those 350USG Cube, Food Grade Plastic Containers, are available for just hauling them off, because the Cannery has to PAY to get rid of them.... They use about 3 dozen a year.....
    A 4'X4' sheet of 3/4" Marine Grade Plywood Centered over a Bearing Wall Corner with a 6"x6" Corner Post should be sufficient, structurally. We tend to build Walls with 2X6 Plates, and Staggered 2X4 Studs on 10" Centers, with 6X6 Corner Posts. This allows a Second Story, as the Family expands.... Just Raise the Roof 10Ft, and put in some stairs.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    HK_User likes this.
  13. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I'd kill for six of them and a spade...

Georgia_Boy and HK_User like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

All it takes is Money.... The barge leaves here, once a week, in the summers.... Check with your local Commercial Airport... The DeIcing Fluid for AirCraft comes in the same Cubes. The Cubes now come inside Aluminum Frames.

Georgia_Boy and HK_User like this.
  15. kellory

attic storage would be a very bad idea here. the ceiling insulation is laid directly above the ceiling joists. And gable trusses are vented to prevent moisture and mold.anything mounted above the insulation would freeze.

ditch witch likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Point taken and made. It'd always nice to ask =)

HK_User likes this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

To fill them all the way to 55 gallons you would need one of these.

[​IMG]

Ganado likes this.
  18. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

What is that?

19. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Those are what are now being sold as fuel can vents, because the new fuel can can't be trusted with vents, cuz we might tip them over and the fuel will spill out.

Anyway you drill a 1/2" hole in any plastic container and pop this in, it's less than a dollar, probably closer to half if you buy a bunch, open it up for air, or you probably could even fill with a smaller tube the last 5-10 gallons in each of those barrels.

Rancher

ditch witch, Ganado and oldawg like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dang AZ rancher... Share a link or a name will ya? =) don't make us pull it out of you ;)

1. JackBlack
  2. jodirumph
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. DKR
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid