Water filtering for storage question

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by GunshowNick, Jan 23, 2009.

1. GunshowNick

GunshowNick Did you get your tickets?

Is it necessary to filter city/municipal water before you store it? I have all the additives (mainly stabalized oxygen and baking soda), but wasn't sure if you HAD to filter it.

What happens if you don't and just add the additives?
    And, has anyone else used stabalized oxygen for an additive?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

GSN, filtering city water before storage is probably a waste of time and resources if you seal it up. However, in all cases, filtering when tapping the keg is not a bad idea.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My city water is treated, and at times I can smell a slight chlorine odor. I still add the recommended dosage when storing/rotating it.
    Never had a problem.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I chose not to use our city water here, due to the great levels of chlorine and the alkali content.
    Instead, I dragged all 6 of my barrels to the waterstore, (yeah it was funny!).
    There they have a reverse osmosis x 2, as well as UV treatment x2, and quadruple filtering.
    Overkill, but I'm worth it!
    $1.00 per 5 gallons.....
    Those 30 gallon barrels were a lot cheaper than those massive 55 gallon bad boys!
    And, you need a crane to pick up them monsters! Over 440 lbs each.
    OUCH!:oops:
    Bill

5. GunshowNick

GunshowNick Did you get your tickets?

ok, here's what i did for now. I filled my 5 gallon containers (10) with city H2O, used stabilized oxygen, and baking soda (to make it more alkaline) after checking it with Litmus sticks. When I have my RO system installed in a few months I'll rotate the old out and put the new in. At this time I'd rather have H2O than not. make sense?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7