Water storage...looks good!

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by bnmb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. reinkefj

reinkefj REINKEFJ

It only keeps the water fresh for 16 weeks? (According to the web site.) Observations?

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I wish I could get away with that! My preps take into account two brothers and their families that live within three miles and who don't think that the merry-go-round will ever stop. I'm also including an older couple across the street that I won't be able to say no to.My plans are closer to 1,500 gallons of storage that I also need to conceal from snoopy neighbors.

Edit: Craigs List comes through again - $180 locally here in commie land and not too far away. Way cheaper than the alternatives I was looking at and easier to cover as well. Probably get a sixth one and place them 2x3 with a shed looking cover for the snoops.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    natshare likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Those are EXACTLY, what I have been "Giving Away" to my locals, for a few years, now.... They are Food Grade Plastic, with Aluminum Cages, and a Hard Plastic, or Aluminum Base. I have 30 of them in the North 40, right now, but a local Outfit has committed to come pick them ALL up, and haul them away, later this month.... These make GREAT Water Storage Systems, and the Outlet Pipe, after then Valve is 1 1/2" NPT and can be connected up with a simple Coupling, or Union....

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Since you can't physically access the inside, how do you clean them out to prepare them for potable water storage?

5. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

It occurs to me, that if you had the room in your back yard for a nice deck (to entertain guests on, of course), that a number of these could be stashed underneath, with some excavation work to get them low enough for the deck to go over top of. Some nice decorative woodwork along the sides, along with the extra dirt you'll have from excavation, and they're as good as hidden, from all but the snoopiest snoopers!

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ours come filled with a Dextrose Solution we use in the Fish Egg (Caviar) Production... So we just wash them out with water, and then let the folks that want them, deal with any other stuff that they think they need. I usually just tell them to fill them with Hi Chlorine Concentration Water a few times, and drain.... That seems to be good enough for us....

3M-TA3, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think that is probably correct. I like this waterbob for those income storms. Often when a huge snow/ice storm is headed our way, we fill the bathtubs but we cannot drink it so we drink our other water storage. IMO using the waterbob for "short-term" water storage it would be great.

chelloveck, Tobit and Ganado like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A great idea that would work well in conjunction with our Berkey water filter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A Berkey is on my list. I also read where you could take a filter kit and two 5 gallon buckets to make a larger group sized filter. Cut part of the lid from the lower bucket away, drill holes in the bottom of the upper bucket, install filters, set it on top of the lower bucket and add water.

chelloveck and Hanzo like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That would work. But the metal casing looks much better in the kitchen. Ours will hold something like 3.5 gallons at a time. I have a bunch of five gallon containers and buckets as well... My intent was to just pour the water I want filtered into the filter. And use unfiltered water for washing, etc.

We all carry liter or larger water bottles (and bladders too if in the woods), so decanting and refilling to filter is not a problem.

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Not as I understand it. Drill through both bottom lid and top bucket bottom. Filters go through both. Drill and mount a spigot for water to be drained from bottom bucket, snap lid in place. (Iirc) the filters need to be mounted in the top bucket, so dirt does not get inside the filter. The more filters installed, the faster water is cleaned (but more cost). Top lid just keeps out wind blown dirt, and should not be sealed tight, or the vacuum formed will stop the filtering.
    I intend to build one of these myself when funds allow.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's a way better way to build one from buckets.You could also consider drilling a vent hole in the top lid and glue cloth or screen inplaceto keep out debris and critters

kellory likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Why bother? Just lay the lid back on top and sbap a couple of the clips, just not all. It should stay where you put it (even in wind) bug still let air in.
    If you are going to cut the top lid anyways, I would cut out the center, and fill it with a piece of deneer fabric (trampoline jump surface) this would act as a prefilter as you pour through the top. (Could even be left under downspout from gutter)

DarkLight likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I still like the concept of the waterbob but didn't like the one time use. Someone ask the question on Amazon and the reply on one use only reason was:
    Amazon.com: waterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage (100 Gallons): Home Improvement

kellory likes this.
  15. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I have given these to my daughter and my ex-wife, who both live in Florida. They fill them when a hurricane is imminent (if they are riding it out rather the evacuating) and I buy them another after.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  16. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

There is a difference between something being "single use" for its intended use and single use period. My son-in-law uses the old ones as cheap tarps.

kellory and ghrit like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You can get a 275 gallon tote for about the price of three waterBOB, so if you have the room this is probably a better way to go. Properly cleaned and shaded you should be able to store water up to 10 years. For apartment and townhouse owners, the waterBOB may be the only option.

Here is a pretty decent discussion on emergency water storage including treatment options for long term storage by nutnfancy:

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Did you read the piece I quoted? They say one use because they are afraid people will not drain & dry it properly. I think they have to say one use due to liability because may people are kind of stupid. Just like McD's has to put caution could be hot on their cups of coffee.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  19. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

I have four IBC containers, 275 gallons each, daisy-chained in my basement to the water supply. The IBC's cost me around $125 each, I picked them up with my pickup truck so no delivery. I did have to clean them out, which wasn't hard.

Having them gives me 1100 gallons of water extra storage in my home.

I also have one in the guest house and two in the shop.

Having water is a good thing.

techsar, Motomom34, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  20. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have 2 IBC containers sitting in my back yard right now. They will be used for rain water collection (as soon as I install my gutters). I plan on making a cement pad then building a deck to raise the containers up a few feet. I will plumb them together to use the water for my garden, non-potable uses, and potable after filtering/cleaning.

I can get 3 or 4 more totes as well. My wife works for a yeast making plant and the totes contained HFC (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and/or "defoaming" agents. I also got 2 metal barrels that had HFC to use as burn barrels.

BTPost, oldawg and kellory like this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Ganado
  7. DKR
  8. Motomom34
  9. ColtCarbine
  10. Graciesdad
  11. Asia-Off-Grid