We all need Salt

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by tacmotusn, Dec 2, 2011.

1. onegeorgian

onegeorgian Monkey++

What happens if you run out of bullets? What if you run out of water? What if you run out of food? What if your generator you use for your c-pap or kidney machine runs out of fuel or breaks down? What if, what if?

What they hell am I gonna do with rendered down lard?

What if I don't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

BWM

3. onegeorgian

onegeorgian Monkey++

You keep making arrows and meet me at my house, I have enough bullets, reloading components and gun powder to last me the next couple centuries. Maybe you can make me some lard bullets so that I may shoot a deer or a wild hog and throw half of it away for the sake of not stock piling cure just because you can cure meat without them.

Yes I know lard has a thousand uses...but, this thread was about stocking up on salt for the purpose of curing meat...I simply suggested stocking up with cures as well.

At the ratios of cure vs salt I can store many years worth of cure in a shoe box, and I will feed my family healthy non sodium ridden or moldy musty uncured meats cooked with your 500 gallons of lard you stock piled...come over for some bacon, ham or jerky later. Bring me some homemade lard candles soap and extra lard for my oil lamps so we can see.

I've grew up reading survival books and was a scout...but I'm not going to dry meat (just because it can be done) without my cures and salt. After all the tread was about stock piling salt right? I suppose we could evaporate sea water or our sweat for salt...so why stock up on bags of salt? As far as nitrites, they occur naturally in many vegetables for that matter...

4. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

People preserve meat with and without salt. They preserve them with and with out cures. They do this in dry and wet climates. I would think that swearing to never use a cure, or vowing to only use cures, is a bad plan. Why limit yourself? I would recomend that anyone using cures follow instructions carefully when first learning. People with some medical conditions, pregnant women, and children are at higher risk when exposed to toxic nitrite levels. Me personally, I prefer to keep my options open. That being said.......

The best part about storing salt is that it is not temperature sensitive like many items. Living in a small home, this is important. Once sealed for moisture, I can store it in my attic without worry.

Sapper John likes this.
  5. onegeorgian

onegeorgian Monkey++

There are more nitrites in a bowl of spinach salad than several slices of ham or bacon. Once again, they occur naturally in food. I'm also not limiting myself, I have both salt and cures stored away...refusing to use salt or cures is limiting yourself...I have many options.

6. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

[loco]:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Have a Merry Christmas

BWM

7. onegeorgian

onegeorgian Monkey++

Wheels are still round, even if you say they are square and that square wheels roll better.

8. jreb357

jreb357 Monkey+

Salt

That was a good post on salt. Be sure and leave out the oxygen absorbers when you store it.

jreb357
    survivaldisasterplan.com

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Here at Survival Monkey, we post info and ask questions to make people think and to share ideas and to steer nubies. We all want to learn and share.
    As an example of sharing, jreb357, you might consider stating your reason for leaving oxygen absorbers out of salt storage.

10. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

What you really need is Blessed Salt to put across your windows and doorways during the three days of darkness...

11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

What you really need is to be right with the Lord God in that case, so you are taken up before that is needed. YMMV.

rsbhunter and Sapper John like this.
  12. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

those are words worth their salt.[applaud]

13. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I think maybe we need a reminder once in a while: "Boast not thyself of tomorrow for ye know not what an hour or a day may bring forth".

We can plan and scheme and prepare till the kye come hame but it will all be for naught if the Good Lord has other plans for us.....just sayin'.

Just a friendly word from the ol' woman next door, lol. Please take it in the spirit in which it was meant.....

Zimmy, rsbhunter and Sapper John like this.
  14. jreb357

jreb357 Monkey+

If you include oxygen absorbers, the salt will get rock hard and nearly unusable. Oxygen absorbers are unnecessary anyway because salt is unaffected by oxygen exposure over time.

Thanks,
    jreb357
    SurvivalDisasterPlan.com

15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Transactions of the Society for the Promotion of Useful Arts, in the State of New York

Page 357 and onward has a lot of info on salting beef for transportation and storage in the early 1800s New York. They cover good and bad beef selection, processing, and storage methods.

Fascinating series of books covering a vast array of topics but it is a little tedious to read and navigate.

I’ll let the mods decide if this should be added to the resource library.

I ran across it trying to learn if you could reuse your salting media and how to decide if enough is enough if you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Zimmy Post it if you have an Electronic version... We can ALLWAYS use another resource...

Zimmy and Ganado like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You can download it on the link he posted, the download is a very good copy as they digitized it so you can search it

Zimmy likes this.
  18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Unfortunately I’m on my phone and just don’t have the signal and tech needed right now.

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. oldman11
  13. DKR
  14. apache235
  15. Ganado
  16. alaskachick
  17. Motomom34
  18. Bandit99