We need a really good honest firearms debate.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Well, perhaps I should ask someone to explain what a subsonic suppressed .22 has over a normally subsonic .45 ACP suppressed?

Yup, even the Mighty Military fell back on "The Old School, Battlefield proven .30 caliber". And while they keep tinkering with the delivery vehicle, it don't look like the .30 caliber rounds are going to leave the Battlefield anytime soon. JMHO.

Tully Mars, if Ya had a dog that needed some afterlife attention that would be worth making the trip for. But Kats? They got 8 more lives after the self destruct. LOL.

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

M118LR likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Outside of being able to shoot without startling your neighbors, AFIK a suppressed .22 is so you can put a hole in somebody's skull without excessive noise, and usually at very close range from behind. The .22 has enough energy to penetrate, but typically not enough to exit so it bounces around tearing up the subject's brain.

Motomom34 and M118LR like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Standard .50 ball ammo goes about 1,850 yrds before falling to sub sonic levels. With my personal weapon, when I practiced with it regularly I can sit here and say I was good for 1,500 of those 1,850. By that I mean I could get 6 out of 10 rns in the center mass area of a full sized humanoid steel target consistently. At 1,000yrds I could hit all 10 in the black consistently. I very rarely used a spotter. All I had was a laser rangefinder, wind gauge, thermometer/barometer/altimeter, shooter's log and range card.
    None of that means much here in this part of Alabama.
    Maximum ranges in my AO are maybe 400 yrds in a few places.

3M-TA3 and M118LR like this.
  5. M118LR

[​IMG]
    117 DB vs 130 DB. Not exactly Hoolywood, folks are still going to notice. .45 ACP at close range to the back of the head, fight stopper. JMHO.
    There are other factors Tully, but the 50 BMG can go supersonic a bit further from the right rifle under better conditions.
    Forgot the reference: The Silencer Surge: Be Very Quiet!

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

3 dB is effectively a noticeable change in perceived volume, though it is double or half the power used to create that noise relative to the original. Most stereo volume controls that have detentes are about 3 dB apart. 13 dB is about four noticeable increases or decreases in volume. Even if you fully suppressed the noise from the shot you still have the mechanical noises if any to deal with.

M118LR and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  7. Tully Mars

I think the SKS and it's cartridge is some what over looked especially with the popularity of the AR platforms. I don't believe they are worth the $600.00 they are currently fetching here, but they remain a good dependable rifle with a proven track record. It's no secret that I live in a house divided when it comes to the AR/AK debate, but I don't mind the SKS's as much esp the older ones. I've said this before and I still hold by it. I think the 7.62x39 is at it's best (semi auto wise) when parred with the tighter tolerances of a quality AR. I love the ones I have and are very accurate for close to intermediate distances. They make a great hog or deer rifle for this area and I've no doubt that they would work equally well on assorted Zombies. It has the advantages of a .30 calibre (.310) bullet in a comfortable recoil friendly package for young or petite shooters. For years I have used a .30 carbine to introduce the centerfire rifle to the aforementioned groups. Now I add the M4 in 7.62x39 to the mix as well. You can still burn up the cheap Chi Com ammo and load up up some Hornady SST's for game/defense. The price is hard to beat as well. Right now the Stoner kits are selling for $360.00 minus the stripped lower.

M118LR, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Tully Mars

There is no doubt about the .45 vs .22 as far as a fight stopper goes, but even your Vietnam era SEAL teams and SOG teams were known to use suppressed .22 pistols.

In the majority of the cases you are correct 3M, but certain spec op team members like those mentioned above have been known to have their 1911s and BHPs equipped with a lock that prevents the slide from operating, thus there is less noise and requiring the slide to be manually operated before each shot. This was a bit of a phase during the Vietnam era.

M118LR likes this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Also used a suppressed S&W model 39 in 9mm....

Tully Mars and M118LR like this.
  10. M118LR

The Mk 22 "Hush Puppy" wasn't a .22LR. as Witch Doctor 01 mentioned it was a suppressed S&W Model 39 in 9 mm which later was further modified into what could be called the S&W Model 59 in 9 mm.
    hushpuppy_.
    A Look Back: Smith & Wesson

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Hey let's suppress a revolver!

M118LR likes this.
  12. Tully Mars

:lol:

M118LR likes this.
  13. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I don't think I'll trade my autos that have threaded barrels for a Mosin, interesting video though.

Tully Mars and M118LR like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen