We starting raising rabbits

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Zimmy, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

We recently picked up 5 unrelated California rabbits to breed for personal use and outside sales. All are unrelated. 3 does and 2 bucks so far.

I raised them when I was a kid and have some experience with the cages and such required. If I can get it to pay for itself and provide my family with a ready and cheap meat source I will consider it a win .

BenP, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Good luck.

Seepalaces, techsar and Zimmy like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Make worm beds under the pens and you will have free fish bait

4. Zimmy

And the worm castings make great soil for the raised beds we put in over the winter.

We're trying to do this small and smart

5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

We have good friends who have been doing this for a few years. It's surprisingly stable as income goes.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Here's to hoping your rabbits mate like - well, rabbits!

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I had 6 does and 2 bucks all unrelated NZ Whites with full size cages for them and 8 grow cages for finishing weaned 1/2 litters. Harvested 16 young tender 3-4 lb rabbits every 4 weeks at 12 weeks of age once I got the timing of things down to a science. does with litters for about 6 weeks and litters weaned in grow cages about the same. You need to keep a log and or use index cards at cages to keep it all straight in your head if you have as many irons in the fire as I did. Killing and processing the 12 week old rabbits was really hard for me to do after caring for them so closely for so long. However I know I can provide a lot of good meat this way if necessary. Ditto chickens, eggs and meat.

BenP, Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  8. Zimmy

I've been surprised to find people everywhere that want to buy rabbits. Usually processed 10 week old ones

9. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I raise them I have Silver fox and New Zealand's decent size breeds so that they are about 3 pounds when I process them, in the late winter I plant a lot of carrots and Kale and pick up some apples for them as well as feed pellets.

My only advice is to treat ear mites with peroxide just keep an eye on their ears keeps them comfortable, and I place fans on each cage little 4inch ones so they can escape the wind if they choose when it is really hot I place a frozen water bottle in with them I have found them laying on top of them like a banana raft I always have a pine board so they do not get foot problems and they like to flip them at night it sounds like a nunchuku battle going on., and I always seem to have one doe that is very defensive and will attack you if you try to stick your hand in the cage. it may seem funny but those teeth can do some real damage.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  10. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

Are there rules of thumb on what kind of income people reasonably make?

Zimmy, Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mai, You brown it down in Onions and seasoning, Serve the gravy over rice and you have some very fine eating!!!

Zimmy, Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  12. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I'll ask them if they'll tell me, and if I can share.

The_Prepared and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7