We wear the mask

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Anonymous, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Monkey+++

[SIZE=+1]Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)[/SIZE]
    We Wear the Mask

W[SIZE=-2]E[/SIZE] wear the mask that grins and lies,
    It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
    This debt we pay to human guile;
    With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
    And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
    In counting all our tears and sighs?
    Nay, let them only see us, while
    We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
    To thee from tortured souls arise.
    We sing, but oh the clay is vile
    Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
    But let the world dream otherwise,
    We wear the mask!

Interesting that a mask is generally worn when we don't want others to associate our faces with our actions. Typically the ones who wear masks when doing good deeds exist only in comics. The reality of our human nature tends to make us want to be noticed for good works. Thus, The Mask is used today to hide the true identity of the wearer.

From Hangmen, terrorists, Roman Orgy attendees, Mardi Gras Heathens, Executioners, Gestapo and sadly, now the police forces of the world. They are all ashamed of their own identity or fear repercussions of it being known. The Mask can also be used to intimidate and coerce by bringing out the emotion of fear and dread in the subject.

From wikipedia on "Balaclava"
    Maybe we all wear the mask?
    _38192214_hamas150. 2. 4-3-Masked-Islamic-Jihad-milita. 1133454703. cap605. Balaclava_mask_hat. _41357261_balaclava203. arab_masked_gunmen. SwatMaskedSmall. policestoryap. yisw46tp.

2. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

I'm not questioning your powers of observation I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is. Who is but the form following the function of what and what I am is a man in a mask.

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Uh, I got lost on the way to philosophy class. Didn't understand that bit you posted Yonder, though insightful it may be. I'm a hick on some things.

Will say that Superman used a disguise, Lone Ranger did too. I think it is more about the actions of the person wearing the mask and not the mask in and of itself. Don't know, maybe it's too deep for me in this end. Do I need my water wings? I can never tell. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7