wedding location

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mariesays, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Mariesays

Mariesays Monkey

When it comes to wedding venues, the choice between a banquet hall and an open space can greatly impact the overall atmosphere and experience of the event. Banquet halls offer a controlled indoor setting with amenities like air conditioning, seating arrangements, and built-in facilities. On the other hand, open spaces such as gardens or beaches provide natural beauty, ample space for creativity, and a breath of fresh air. Some may prefer the elegance and convenience of a banquet hall, while others may crave the natural ambiance and flexibility of an open space. Factors like weather, budget, and personal preferences all come into play, making this decision a subjective one. So, which do you prefer?

Hanzo likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

We got married by the clerk who sold us the license, took the money we would have spent on a big wedding and bought a house lot to get started. Put a trailer on it until we could build, put in a well and septic, never had a mortgage and lived here 43 years very happily married.

Gray Wolf, DKR, Alanaana and 7 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Did the big Wedding the first go around, it was stupid and expensive, and took me 10 years to pay for, we were young and had stars in our eyes, and two families that wanted the fairy tail!
    Did the second wedding in a Hanger on base in Florida between hurricanes with two Blackhawks in the background, the smell of jet fuel, and a bunch of dudes in uniform and their families, was the best wedding ever, and were still married to this day! Cost me all of $400 cash bucks, mostly for the Chaplin and paperwork, and my Brides Flowers!

Gray Wolf, Alanaana, Bandit99 and 5 others like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We got married on the beach and had our reception at a restaurant. Be aware of all environmental factors. Wife and I were almost in tears at the wedding because we were getting blinded by the sun reflected off the big portly priest's very white smock. It was almost like looking into the sun... almost. We still laugh about it.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The beach, Everyone can enjoy the beach.

duane, Alanaana and Hanzo like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We got married by a non-denominational minister we found in the phone book (pre-everything on the web).
    were going to have wedding at house but found a banquet hall that had a cancellation on the same day as our wedding about 6 days out. Their non-refundable deposit covered the hall rental for 4hrs. They had catered food which we just accepted their menu and got it for half price. Cash bar due to a number of heavy drinkers in the witnesses. Called our friends/family and said .. change of venue, meet here instead. Re-routed the flower delivery. I wore my standard go to meeting suit, she had a wedding dress from the consignment shop. We put disposable camera on each of the 10 guest tables, invited folks to bring their own cameras as well.

Boom, 2500 bucks for the whole shebang and everyone got a tray of some food to go home with.

I prefer cheap .. so did she. Still married to same one a few decades later.

Gray Wolf, chelloveck, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I guess marriage is a “survival” topic ??!!

Hanzo, Alanaana, duane and 1 other person like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You pick the wrong one ... it most definitely is.

3cyl, DKR, mysterymet and 8 others like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Inside , outside ,, doesn't matter ,, I'm staying single .
    But if I have to go to a wedding ,, I prefer the beach ,, wedding vows and surf fishing ,, good times ,,

Hanzo, Alanaana, duane and 1 other person like this.
  10. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Weddings are overpriced and commercialized from every angle these days. I'd choose a sandy beach with just the two of us and a witness. I think every day memories, respect, freedom, and hanging on to our hard earned $ is more important.
    BTW... This is why it's so hard for my friends to relate to me these days. I didn't always feel this way, but freedom and peace are a top priority these days.

11. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I don't think it really matters very much. If it lasts, it won't matter.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

We got married the first time in what we would call Justice of the Peace then got married in Lenin's church (Yep! the Communist) 2 years later in a small village in Russia. Yeah, I know, Lenin was against religion; however, his wife was not and she was the one who had the money in the family - so - he went to church (history is strange! LOL!). :) The priest (actually Russian Orthodox calls them Popes) was so excited to marry an American in the church that he opened it to us, didn't cost anything except for some food for the friends and family that attended. This wasn't planned at all as we simply were visit her brother and I heard of the church, went to look at it (being a history nut) and Bing-Bang-Boom I was getting married to the same woman a second time (orthodox doesn't recognized marriage unless it's done in church) and that was that!

13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Justice of the Peace, Reno…

Nice old building and a buffet just a couple blocks away!! :)

Gator 45/70, Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  14. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

I have NEVER heard anyone say they wished they had spent more on their wedding......

I think they are a big racket from the venue price to the flowers to the pictures.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Everything is a “Racket” if you let it be that way…

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

Yep, you are spot on which is why I went to the Justice of the Peace and saved the money for a new horse! LOL

Gator 45/70 and Tempstar like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Got married by my DW's Minister. Used the church's gym - no cost. Folks she knew brought Chow. Small town America - it existed then, dunno about now.

Performed a marriage ceremony for my youngest son in my living room - just family. . Alaska will issue a one-time warrant to preform marriages. I also did the same a work buddy - this at a restaurant (private dining room) . Both are still married..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Certainly if one survives one, unscathed. I'd prefer to celebrate a good divorce than a bad marriage.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

We took a 30 minute lunch break and got married at the Bowie County Courthouse in Texarkana. The state line runs through the middle of the courthouse. We took our wedding photo in front of the courthouse, holding hands, with her standing in Arkansas, me standing in Texas. We bought my first wedding band at a flea market, silver and turquoise, cost us $10. She bought me a yellow gold band with a white gold inset for our 10th anniversary. She died 6 days before what would have been our 39th anniversary. Best years of my life, and I miss her every day.

Gator 45/70, CraftyMofo and VisuTrac like this.
  20. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

Gray Wolf, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7