Weekend Activities.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by lonewolf89, May 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. lonewolf89

lonewolf89 Monkey

What are some other skills a survivalist can engage in on the weekend besides fire, shelter building, water purifying, and navigation? What kind of resources are there on-line, or in print on wild edibles, tree identification, etc?

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

depends on where you are. My state actually had a couple of publications that they will send you free of charge on local plants which includes what is and isn't edible. I'll look too see if they have it in soft copy and upload it if it is.

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Ganado, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@lonewolf89 one of our fellow monkeys has a radio show. Today he will be talking about this.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm in Ohio, so checking for edible plants by state is a good start.

Wild Edible Plants of Ohio | Trails.com

See what you can grow on your own land. Most of it would be overlooked by others.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Gardening, metalworking, woodworking, sewing, mechanical repairs, electronics repair/construction...heck, what sort of skills do you think may be needed?
    Be honest with yourself ;)

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Sewing, canning, lashing, knot tying, orienteering, hiking, physical fitness... trying to trace your potential bug out and get home routes... etc....

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I spent most of my weekend learning the hard way that wearing long pants is a good idea when you are trying to take out blackberry bushes. Even if it's hot out, lol. I have been just trying to teach myself regular diy stuff while I attempt to fix up my property. Maybe I will search for some edible plants next weekend.

Tully Mars, Ganado and kellory like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

This weekend I took out my fishing pack, pulled everything out of it, threw away some old bait and reorganized it for the fishing season to come. I also planted some herbs and veggies in large pots to start the outdoor growing season here.

To answer your question above @lonewolf89, the task and skills one can focus on are endless. You need to start with the primary skills till you are proficient: such as food, water & shelter skills; and then branch out into other areas, as you deem their priority, in your order of significance to "your" survival, or in the areas that you are weak and desire to improve upon. Happy learning.....[winkthumb]

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

What's in this mysterious fishing pack?

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

lo
    Lot's of fishing crap, hooks, lures, line, and so on. It is a backpack made specifically for back country fishing... got it at Cabela's many years ago and it is awesome!! :)

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  12. kellory

They make chest packs as well, with a fold down shelf for prepping your lures, hooks or bait. Can be used while wading in streams.

13. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

While things are "normal" is a great time to learn skills that you do not have. The price for failure is only as much time and money you have into a project or new skill set. Now while all the resources that are available try different things out. Find out what works for you and what fails. Now is the time to learn while it is still relatively safe.

Tully Mars, kellory and Ganado like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Have one set up for all my ice fishing stuff, and one for trout/steelhead/salmon. Not much use for either down here:( It's all about the bass down here;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. kellory

I would like to try ice fishing, sooner or later. I have a hunting blind and blind heater, but none of the specialized gear:(

16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I started out with just two ice poles,a scoop and a bucket.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ice Fishing is a great Winter Time sport... A line, a weight, a hook, and a few Salmon Eggs, will do you.... Oh yea, and a ChainSaw with a Chain you do not care about.....

BlueDuck and Tully Mars like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ice fishing is one of man's most sincere forms of self torture. One try was enough for me.

NotSoSneaky and Yard Dart like this.
  19. kellory

Oh, I don't know.... Kinda depends upon what you are fishing for, don't you think?

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. SoLoRoNiN

SoLoRoNiN Monkey

Any skill you are no proficient at is a good place to start
    Like the saying goes in martial arts a black belt only means you have mastered the basics. SoLoRoNiN Out

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. AxesAreBetter
  4. DKR
  5. Motomom34
  6. wideym
  7. OldDude49
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Motomom34
  10. The_Prepared
  11. DKR