Weekend Activities.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by lonewolf89, May 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I really got into it when I lived in Colorado. Used to go every chance I got, then started hitting the ice tourneys that were held there. LOADS 'o fun.

@ghrit my southern in laws share your sentiments on the sport;)

BlueDuck likes this.
  2. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I started out ice fishing over 50 years ago with just a stick with some string wrapped around it, and an ax. Pretty low tech, but I caught fish and had a great time. Now I have a power auger, ice hut, fish finder and a ton of gear. My ice fishing has evolved a lot since I started out, but I probably had just as much fun, back then.

kellory and Tully Mars like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now a true story, tho' unrelated to ice fishing, triggered by that loon on the line.

My father and I were surf casting one morning in wayback times. We didn't have proper surf casting gear, and were a bit hampered by that, tho' not enough so that we felt like it couldn't work with a boat reel on home made rods. So I'm standing there, waiting on a bite (that never materialized) watching Pop rebait and rare back for a cast. He let fly, and I'm watching the lead pyramid sinker take off toward the horizon, a MIGHTY cast it was. I turned toward him, wanting to ask how the sam hill he did it, and he's working on a bird's nest on his reel with something tugging on the tip top. I guessed that the snarl was what released the lead. NOT TRUE!! A seagull got in the way. First thinking was that it picked off the bait in the air. Also not true. After unsnarling the bird's nest, he reeled in the gull and we had to cut it loose. The hook, bait still attached, was embedded in the gulls back. Just the wrong place at the wrong time, but with anti aircraft skills like that, we had a chuckle and went back to fishing. (Got skunked, but that happened often.)

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey Ghrit, Make Ice Fishing a point on your "Bucket List" and I will set you up with all the Trout you can eat, if you come for a visit, next January.... Our Lake Fish are so hungry, that it isn't really Fishing, any longer, but Harvesting.... I have all the stuff here, you

5. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

Okay, I will take on the question.....
    Gardening, Fishing, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading......
    Knocking the "new" off your gear and equipment by going out and using it, the writing your findings into a REVIEW for others.
    Reading about what others have done in similar circumstances to yours.
    Learning to build your own tools and gear with shop and craft skills. Learning to USE those tools and gear and skills.
    RE-working your home to use the survival techniques and equipment that you need.
    Put in a storm shelter or root cellar.
    Build a basement fallout shelter.
    Inventory and rotate your preps.
    Keep your kids and spouse with you for a weekend and teach THEM what they need to know.
    Stage a "SHTF" or Disaster DRILL with your family.

If you want to get really radical.....
    Searching for a BOL if your home is not adequate, then actually working to obtain it.
    What I mean is that there is an additional 8 to 12 hours on Saturdays you can work, and receive PAY for, to purchase land/location/gear/shelter/preps.
    Those suggestions alone should keep you busy for a while.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tully Mars, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. AxesAreBetter
  4. DKR
  5. Motomom34
  6. wideym
  7. OldDude49
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Motomom34
  10. The_Prepared
  11. DKR
  12. Zimmy