Wehrmacht Field Kitchen Cooking, and WW2 British Austerity Cooking

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by chelloveck, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Quantities are per person, measurements are metric: Potatoes and noodles are staples for these recipes.

Pichelsteiner Gemuesetopf

30 grams beef
    Up to 400 grams savoy cabbage and white cabbage
    Up to 400 grams soup vegetables (carrots, celery, leek etc.)
    Up to 500 grams potatoes
    5 grams fat
    Season with salt, a little pepper and fresh chopped herbs (parsley, chervil, chives)

Finely dice the beef, brown it in the fat and boil for about 30 minutes in a little water (about 1/8 liter). Clean and peel the vegetables and potatoes, chop the cabbage into not-too-big rectangular pieces, slice the vegetables and potatoes and combine them all. It is advised to cook some of the vegetables in fat and add them later for a fuller flavor. When all is done, season with the herbs and spices.

For more recipes: WWII German Ration Recipes

[​IMG]
    A WW2 'Gulaschkanone'

More info@ The Joy of Field Rations: Makeshift Cooking, German Army, WW2

[​IMG]
    https://www.quora.com/What-did-soldiers-in-WW2-eat

...................................................................................................................................................
    WW2 Austerity Cooking:

[​IMG]

For a large collection of WW2 austerity cooking recipes......The 1940's Experiment
    170 Wartime Recipes

................................................................................................................................................
    The US Army WW2 era TM10.412 Recipe book can be downloaded from Internet Archive at TM 10-412 Army Recipes 1944 : United States. War Department : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

[​IMG] Note that ingredient quantities listed are for 100 serves....so, if not cooking for hundreds, scale the ingredient portions accordingly. ;)

Sapper John, snake6264, duane and 3 others like this.
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Interesting finds.

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

My uncle was on a tanker ship during most of WW2 and spent a lot of time in area around Australia and it cured him of eating mutton for life, guess there was some kind of canned mutton that was standard fare for troops and they were supplied by Aussies a lot of times rather than Navy or Army. Looked forward to trips to India, they stole everything that wasn't nailed down and brought their own hammers he said, but were good cooks. We had a German POW work on the farm in about 1944 or 45 and he sure loved mom's cooking. Captured in North Africa and said that they mainly had peas, lentils, potatoes, etc to eat. Guess they could testify to the efficiency of the LDS food storage plan as the heat, distance, and lack of local supplies made them dependent on the basics.
    Found the sites very interesting and the amounts given for civilians, English, French, German, etc, are a quick check on the reality of what happens when things get tough, and what is even more frightening, that was the good times compared to Leningrad, Stalingrad, much of the Ukraine during Stalin's purges, Germany and a lot of eastern Europe after the war, China during the cultural revolution, and a hundred other times. Food preps are insurance, if you can keep them, they have often meant the difference between living and dying in the past.
    Was told by a German that the Ju's would drop bags of food from low altitude and low speed, 75 mph and a hundred or so feet, that were in two bags, one sewn tight and surrounded by a second loose one. When it hit, the inner bag would break, but the outer one would keep the contents in one place. He got out of Stalingrad a few days before the surrender on a BMW motorcycle with dispatches and was nearly executed by the German Army for leaving his post and they didn't care if he was ordered to go or not.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

not long ago I read about the US supplied Spam hitting the early WW2 British store shelves - in the late 1930s it was still new to both the US and the world - the Brits called it "sausage in a can" - nobody had any idea what to do with it - but it wasn't rationed like all the other meat domestic or imported >>>> once the housewives figured out Spam it became a staple in the meal planning .....

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I heard that the British thought Spam was our way of getting back at them for the War of 1812. I love Spam, hot or cold, although it might get tiresome on a daily basis.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We have Fried Spam at least once a week... Then AlaskaChick has a recipe for a Honey Glaze for Roasted Spam that is really good...

7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

What I like about them spams is they don,t eat much and are easy to gut and skin out. Now if I could get the suckers to breed................

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Australian WW2 era combat ration packs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Warzone food. It's not what you think

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

US Armed Forces Recipe Service: https://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCO P10110.42B.pdf this publication has recipes for bulk cooking, mostly for yields of 100 portions of given size. No pictures, but provides nutritional values for individual portions.

For @ghrit ......[​IMG] Recipes from the USS Buffalo

Army Bread Recipes -- 1916
    Chipped Beef, Creamed Beef and Minced Beef recipes
    Brewing Coffee the Navy Way

https://www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah197907.pdf

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Brokor and Motomom34 like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My ship's wardroom didn't eat that well, they ate what we did. You might not want to know ----

Oddcaliber likes this.
  11. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I wish I had the "charlie ration cookbook" in '65-'66! They even found a way to use those DELICIOUS ham and lima beans that would maybe not have involved a clinched trot to the bushes or a noisy squat over the gunnels! I've often thought the Tabasco co. should have been awarded medals for their contribution to making c-rats almost palatable. Why I could even say that Spam and Tabasco made my tour seem like a luxurious all expense paid vacay in a tropical paradise. :rolleyes:

Oddcaliber and chelloveck like this.
  12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Even the Russians got Spam during WW2.

1. JC Refuge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. ditch witch
  6. Ganado
  7. Zimmy
  8. Ganado