Welcome To Marwen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

This one looks really good to me. Same director as Forrest Gump. There’s so much trash coming from Hollywood lately but I’m hoping this is an exception. :D

Bishop, snake6264 and Tempstar like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thanks! I will take that as a recommendation and look for it!

I saw a few films recently...but the one I saw by accident - well - I thought it was so good, I sat there and watched it a second time! LOL! 'Crazy Rich Asians' What is strange is that this film is a great love story AND a great comedy. And, yeah, it's Asians poking fun at themselves...actually, don't think I have ever seen another film concerning Asians quite like it. Just about everything is perfect: casting, sets, scripts... Loved it!

EDIT: Oh! And, it makes you want to visit Singapore (I've never been) and I wonder if the State Tourism was involved in production because it did more than they could do in 10 years!

I also saw 'Mile 22' which sort of disappointed me, expected more from Mark...perhaps we're expecting too much? :)

'Papillon' which I thought was good, but I saw the original as a kid with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, so a remake is really hard to live up to those guys even though I think Charlie Hunnam is the one of the most under rated actors in Hollywood (brilliant in the The Lost City of Z and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword , I do so love Guy Ritchie films!) and, apparently Rami Malek blew everyone away in 'Bohemian Rhapsody' but I haven't see it yet and it might be simply because it is about Freddy Mercury so its a Hollywood politically correct gay thing but he'll probably get some sort of award for it. Nevertheless, I saw him in the 'Pacific' and he was amazing, captured his character completely but...his character in Papillon was okay, didn't really excite me BUT, like I said, I saw the original so I'm extremely hard to please on this one.

snake6264 and Meat like this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Saw Papillon for the first time in a movie theater in Bangkok with a female Thai "date". It was a stopover on my way with a civilian contractor TCTO team traveling upcountry to the remote NKP Air Base to perform some modifications on Air Force helicopters. The Thais had to read the subtitles. Great movie when Steve McQueen did it. Haven't seen the remake.

Bandit99 likes this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Steve McQueen made some good movies . I liked the Great Escape . Papillion was awesome as well.

Altoidfishfins and Bandit99 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Anyone else got any recommendations?

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I typically strongly dislike anything newer in the movie and tv realm. But I hit the wrong link the other day and found one I actually like....... Called "I Kill Giants." Turned out to be a great story. It is on Hulu, not sure where else it might be found.

Watch I Kill Giants Online at Hulu

7. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Yeah I been waiting on this movie to come out my self

8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Watch the move Lion. Made in 2016. It’s about a lost boy in Calcutta. I gave it 2 thumbs.

Bandit99 likes this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"When Marnie was here" a mystery on several levels. All is explained in the last few min. Fits together nicely and is a look at Japanese culture (albeit of a slightly past time)

A good story where the characters are both likable and easy to enjoy.

"When shy, artistic Anna moves to the seaside to live with her aunt and uncle, she stumbles upon an old mansion surrounded by marshes, and the mysterious young girl, Marnie, who lives there. The two girls instantly form a unique connection and friendship that blurs the lines between fantasy and reality. As the days go by, a nearly magnetic pull draws Anna back to the Marsh House again and again, and she begins to piece together the truth surrounding her strange new friend. Based on the young adult novel by Joan G. Robinson and directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (The Secret World of Arrietty), When Marnie Was There has been described as “Ghibli Gothic,” with its moonlit seascapes, glowing orchestral score, and powerful dramatic portrayals that build to a stormy climax."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Bandit99 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7