Well I went and did it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozarkgoatman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Early this year someone had a thread about what everyone wanted to get done this year. I said in their I wanted to quit my job. Last night much to my bosses surprize I told him that Friday March 9th would be my last day. You want to talk about shock and aww. [LMAO] So as of 11:00 pm CST on March 9th I will be self-employed. [touchdown] [touchdown] [touchdown]

OGM

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

woohoo, Congrats!!!

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Congratulations and good luck on your endeavor!

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Well I hope it works out for you. Have you got a plan or were you just too fed up to deal with it anymore?

5. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

Good Luck Goatman
    Sounds like you're pretty well setup to make it.
    CG

6. Scavenger Flatbedder

Scavenger Flatbedder Scavenging The Wasteland

Congrats OGM.Nothing like being a free man.

7. ozarkgoatman

Both :D We bought a sawmill in Dec. of last year. I've about got my building the way I want it. I'm going to look a some property on Sunday that the man wants me to log. I already have one other property that I have lined up to log as well. On top of all of that everybody and their brother wants lumber [winkthumb] My manager thinks he's going to talk me into staying longer, but come March 9th @ 11:00pm cst.
    I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [gone]

OGM

BTW Thanks for all the well wishes

8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Congratulations on your new venture OGM. You have challenges ahead but at least you will live or die by your own sword. I know we will all be rooting for your success.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The hard part about it will be that you'll be missed. NOBODY works harder or longer than the self employed. Best of luck, and make sure you find the time to keep us in the loop. Best of luck.

10. ozarkgoatman

Yes it will be alot of work but it won't take a whole lot of sawing to make more than I make currently make. Besides I don't have lights out by the mill (yet;) ) Logging after dark is not a new olympic sport that I'm ready to start[booze]So I'm sure I'll still be around some. Likely it will be in the evening like a normal person, not in the middle of the afternoon or in the morning while I'm trying to shove my breakfest down my throut so I can get outside and get something done before I have to get ready for work.

OGM

P.S. The master card comerical should end something like, being able to tell your boss that you no longer need his low paying stinking job, priceless. b:: b:: b::

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

congrats +1, Good luck, I believe in capitalism. Careful though, had a friend quit a factory maint job up hereto log and a tree killed him (fell on him...)

(I started some "e-baying"actually sold few things, not enough to live on yet, but it heading that direction.. I know that's pretty basic. but,Once you get set up and things start to move you realize no body can fire you because their wife turned them down last night or they had a bad doughnut...It s a pretty nice feeling...
    I'm pulling for you!!! Screw them corporate bastids...How will they run their corps. when nobody will show up and take their BS anymore ? ( oh yeah, illegals)...

12. ozarkgoatman

Sorry to hear about your friend, but yes that can and does happen. I saw a thing on TV not too long ago, it said logging is the most dangerous job in the U.S.A. But lots of trees are dropped on a daily basis and the deaths are not that common. I'm not trying to say it won't happen to me, because I know it could and maybe it will one day (I really hope it doesn't though). I know though that I will be the only one cutting so I don't have to whatch what others are doing, so I can keep my mind on what I'm doing.

OGM

13. dukenukum

dukenukum Monkey+++

good on you after the debacal called getting a head and having a real job( the only one who got a head was the boss) I started up an ice cream vending service last spring i have no complaints and cant wait for the season to start good luck ogm.

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

That info is based on a study that looked at the severity of the accidents per 100,000. In other words, less accidents but more that are permanently disabling or fatal.
    The top three have been for many years; 1) Logging 2) Coal Mining 3) Oil Field

Oil Field moved up to the #1 spot for several years during the last big boom in the 70's. Due to the vast number of "green" hands that were needed to fill positions during that time. I don't know where it stands today. We are in the middle of another boom period. My company had to release a drilling contractor because of their poor safety record. They had 14 fatalities in the last 2 years.

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread OGM. Good luck on your venture. I quit a long time stable job 18 months ago to go independent and work for myself. It's a big decision.

15. Pru

Pru Monkey+++

Congratulations!!

My dh has been self-employed for a few years now. Some years are lean and tough, some are wonderful, but no matter what... they are OURS!!!

The biggest challenges have been in the area of insurance. I work parttime and spend about 1/3 of my net (1/4 of my gross) on medical insurance. My dh carries liability insurance for his business. He also has a small disability policy. It will pay for two years, which we figure is time to re-train for another line of work, or to make other arrangements (sell property, etc).

Any which way you cut it, we are responsible for his success.

16. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good luck with your new career! May it work out for the best.

phishi

17. Shadowman

Shadowman Monkey+++

CONGRATS!!

I'm working on something on the side myself...ok, several somethings that should in the very near future allow me to make the jump. A little scary I will have to admit, but I'm sick of idiot bosses that make more than me but know FAR LESS. I keep wondering why they should make a dime off of my sweat, knowledge, skills and effort. I think it's time to go mercenary on the job market and make my own way.

BEST OF LUCK!![winkthumb]

18. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know the feeling about incompetent bosses. The IT manager here has a hard time understanding "cut and paste" to get a URL from an email to the web browser. Now normally the URL would get formatted so you can just click on it, which is what he was doing and trying figure out why his web browser wasn't going the website. When he was told to copy and paste the address into the address bar of IE, he was lost.
    What's worse is this guy is a micro-manager, ugh.

19. ozarkgoatman

Thanks to all for the well wishes. :) Tonight is my last night. [touchdown] This week has been about the slowest week of my life, but it's all over but the shouting. So at 11:00pm cst I'll be [gone] My idiot boss still hasn't put anyone in my job and it can't be learned in one night. :rolleyes:

Shadowman yes it can be a bit scary but remeber nothing ventured nothing gained. I know what you mean by working for idiot bosses. I like to refer to them as educated idiots, it would be comical if it was a comic strip. But when it's real it's just not that comical. It just makes you want to walk up to the boss and go [beat] Now my buisness will be ran my way[winkthumb]

OGM

20. ozarkgoatman

FREEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOM :D

Yep I'm out of there. [touchdown]The week seemed like it would never end but it did. It really ended on good note as well. A guy I worked with is likely going to get 80 acres of really old growth timber and wants me to log/saw it. I haven't seen it yet (he's not letting anyone know were it is until he gets it bought), but from the way he describes it, I'm going to be able to upgrade some equipment and do other little things like pay off my farm. [winkthumb]

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7