Well that wasn't like the movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tully Mars, May 18, 2018.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

As some of you know my BiL has been living with us for quite some time. He has been on hospice because of the choices he made in his life. He was the baby of their family and was coddled. He was a life long abuser of drugs, and for awhile booze. All his adult life some one has had to clean up the messes he left behind so I guess this is fitting.

At approx. 09:30 two days ago he splattered his brains all over my guest room(the room he was staying in). He called his Aunt saying he was having a hard time breathing. I was sitting in the living room at the time with the TV off on the laptop as I am now. Didn't call out, nothing. The Aunt lives next door but cannot get around without help or a cane. She then called her brother(Sass's uncle that I'm always talking about) who came over and beat on the door telling me what happened. We go back there and BiL is sitting in his chair saying he can't breathe. I turn up the 02 and dial 911. I come back out to the living room to watch for the EMS. We live out aways and the GPS will not direct you to our place. Uncle is sitting with BiL who asks for some water. After returning with the water BiL tells him he wants to be alone to pray for a bit.(He played at religion whenever it suited his purposes)

Uncle and I are sitting in the living room talking and waiting when we hear a gun shot.
    We are talking nanoseconds here, but part of me thought WTF? part of me thought a gunshot in the house is supposed to be louder than that and then the other part jumped up and said,"Shit he just shot himself." I run in with Uncle behind me to see BiL sitting on the floor, slumped over blood pouring from a GSW perfectly centered in his forehead. Uncle runs outside.(I found out later to call the local cop buddy thinking he would get here fastest) I call 911 back and for some reason connection is shitty. I'm explaining what has happened, go back into the room, BiL is conscious and babbling. I tell the operator, and mention I'm going to remove the weapon when she shouts "NO" and not to touch anything. I go back out to the living room window hoping for better reception when I hear the 2nd shot. As I run back into the room I tell the operator what has happened. He's fallen over can't tell if he's breathing but he does have a very rapid/strong pulse. Shortly after the local PD showed up and I was no longer allowed into the room until everything was concluded several hours later.

He centered the 2nd shot perfectly over the first and it was the 2nd that made most of the mess. I am still amazed at how quiet the shots were. Weapon was a 9mm hand gun. I suppose by placing the muzzle against his forehead it kind of muffled the shot, because honestly it wasn't as loud as the standard .22lr shot outdoors. More like a loud pop gun from when we were kids.

So once again this prick left a bag of shit for someone else to clean up. I was up scrubbing walls, cutting up carpet and burning everything until 22:00 that night. Of course he didn't have anything in place as far as final arrangements so on top of replacing the carpet, patching two bullet holes in the ceiling/roof and repainting the friggin walls I get to pay to plant his worthless ass.

But that's the easy parts.
    Now some one has got to try and explain to the young kids in the family why uncle fucktard is not here anymore. His aunt and uncle are getting up there and could've had a heart attack or stroke over this,esp waiting out there in the 90 degree heat hoping to hear something. Folks had to take off work to come take care of them, including Sass. This is bringing back bad memories for her uncle, who years back had to identify his mother after her house burnt The list just goes on and on.

Personally I couldn't give two good shits he's dead,but I am pissed at the bag of shit he left us all holding-once again..

Motomom34, Lancer, Ura-Ki and 6 others like this.
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Sad for you and the bag of shit, fucker could have at least asked to be taken outside!

Motomom34, Lancer, Alf60 and 7 others like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As much of a PITA this 'relative' is/was to you, thank you for not making the local taxpayers pickup the tab for a burial.

Me, I would have had the remains cremated and spread the ashes at the local dog park.... Tell folks it was special fertilizer for the trees.

On the plus side, he didn't anyone else along for the ride.

Lancer, Alf60, Ura-Ki and 6 others like this.
  4. Tully Mars

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing. It's still a thousand bucks..

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Dude, whatta rip. Eve n here in Anchorage, you can get a low-cost cremation for like $600 or less if you bring your own container.

Any chance you could tell the local pols this guys was a Viking and insisted on a home-built pyre?

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    BenP, Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sorry you had to go through all this - not just his exit, but the entirety of it all.

Motomom34, Capt. Tyree, Alf60 and 4 others like this.
  7. Tully Mars

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA We were joking about that very thing with them while the ABI investigators were inside doing their thing. I was asking if there was any way I could just carry him over the brush pile and get some gas and a match..

Lancer, Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I hope Sass is holding up. Condolences to those that need some.

chelloveck, Alf60, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

For what it is worth, I am sorry this happened to you.

Like TFR said he could have "asked to be taken outside" but these types never think of anyone else but themselves.

I find it amazing that the 9mm did not do the job the first time and can only suspect that he did not have it positioned directly against his forehead and it glanced off. The worthless bugger couldn't even do that right. Who in the hell shoots themselves in the forehead?!?!

I am not against suicide per se, in so much as the person is ill as I believe it is their life to do as they wish. However, to place the burden on others after the deed is done - well - that shows nothing but disregard, lack of respect and no affection for anyone but themselves - so - I will not tell you that I am sorry he took his own life but I do offer my condolences that you are left with the physical and financial problems. The bright side is, of course, you are finally rid of him and that might be worth it in the long run.

ochit, Lancer, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You are a good man, taking care of a relative that was a wasted life is always difficult, especially when you know they will never change. Some people never learn. I am sorry you had to pick up the pieces. Maybe I'm cold but when people make these kind of choices i have no sympathy for them. For you @Tully Mars and your wife yes i have empathy but not for someone who only lives for themselves.

Glad you didn't touch the gun. Now you aren't under suspicion. It could have been worse and you could have been under suspicion

Motomom34, Capt. Tyree, Alf60 and 4 others like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Jesus I'm already paranoid about shit exactly like this happening to me if/when one ever stays with us.

The 911 operator telling you not to separate the person from the weapon after the first shot, absolute genius on their part.

Ganado, Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"The 911 operator telling you not to separate the person from the weapon after the first shot, absolute genius on their part."
    Yes, I suppose that it matters not what the instrument of destruction was (gun, knife, pills, etc.) it is best not to touch anything. I have never been around a suicide but I imagine its occurrence is so sudden and unexpected that one is not thinking clearly so best to think about it now.

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Not only all the above, but this will go down as a GUN Death.
    My prayers go out to you and yours.

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Suicide only has the impact of ending the life of the end-user but it leaves the rest of us with a lot of anger and every reminder just grinds that anger in deeper like dirt. I hear your anger, Tully. Somewhere there, I hope you find forgiveness and peace, that's for you not the dead one. God Bless.

Motomom34, Ganado, Yard Dart and 6 others like this.
  15. Tully Mars

She is G, thank you for saying that. She, like me is more pissed about the carnage he left behind rather than the fact he is dead. I know all this sounds cold, but how much can a person dump on you until you no longer care? At least after this one is cleaned up our lives can get back to normal.

Well I think the main reason is because he used 124 grn hardball. The muzzle was placed directly against the forehead. I suspect the FMJ didn't expand much if at all.

We are in complete agreement.
    Thank you. You're a kind Lady(don't worry I'll not tell anyone;)

Ganado, Yard Dart, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Sorry to hear this TM. A loss of family is a loss none the less. Prayers outgoing for you and the family...

Props to you for taking care of him as it sounds like he was never able to care for himself.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Since he was conscious, I'm having second thoughts on the advice to not touch the gun. Had you kicked it away, he would not have had the second chance. Sincerely, I hope that sets up a teaching moment for the 911 operators. All the same, by the sounds of things, it worked out for the best.

18. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[biggrouphug] @ TM @ Sass

[beat] @ the guy

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  19. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

As everyone else stated. Sorry for the loss to those that may be grieving. Sorry for the mess he left you as well. I have no pity for the self inflicted actions people make, IMO , good riddance. As for not removing the weapon, I’m a little baffled by that , but , in reality, if you had removed it, he may have lived and then been an even harder burden on you or someone else.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Sukz Tully and Sass, i know you had a lot of troubles with him! What angers me is the way he went out, leaving you with a mess to clean up, and the emotional issues that go along with it!

You need any thing, You know how to reach me!
    Prayers for you guys!

Tully Mars, Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7