Well, they had a good run, 31 years

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I have just learned some sad news. After the next issue (#188 November / December 2018), Home Power Magazine will no longer be published.

I was just reading an article on the site, and accidentally clicked a link that lead me to THIS PAGE. Once loaded, this is what I read:

home_power_2018-09-30.

I have been a continuous (PDF eBook version) subscriber to Home Power Magazine for many years. My current subscription doesn't end until midway through 2024, in fact.

I have PDF copies of every edition of the magazine printed since 1987 - it's humble beginnings. I will truly be saddened to see Home Power go. Many great articles have come from the various issues over the years.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Sad,,, I used to look at my Dads copies of Popular Mechanics , and Science mags from the 60s and 70s. Still disappointed,, we were supposed to all be in flying cars in the 90s,,,

3. Asia-Off-Grid

I hear ya. With everything going digital these days, I would have hoped for them to continue the editions, just as PDFs. Seems like it would be much cheaper to deal with, than printing and mailing paper copies of each edition.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I like flipping thru the pages ,,,,,I can find my way back easier if I need to. Especially out working on the truck or something with greasy fingers,,, don't mix good on a puter screen.

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Was HPM a 'garage' Mom and Pop operation? Sounds like the editor / staff (Mom or Dad) are retiring.

I see it all the time here i AK. A lot of the smaller businesses are closing as the owners are retiring and leave for warmer climes.

ETA
    I looked
    Richard and Karen Perez started Home Power in 1987. From the start the magazine itself has been published with the use of alternative energy resources. Its publishers live the lifestyle they espouse. Today, Home Power is a recognized leading provider of detailed information for renewable energy installation. Its authors and editors are cited in other industry publications and blogs

To fill the growing need for reliable information for renewable energy systems professionals Home Power has also come out with an industry trade magazine: SolarPro.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

First I have heard of them. I might have been tempted to subscribe, but now......... ?

Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

A page many people may not know about. It lists some resources taken from various editions of Home Power Magazine: Web Xtras | Home Power Magazine

After reading the statements again, I guess that could be what is happening, them choosing to retire. Still, they could let someone else continue to run it.

A bit late now, I reckon. Heck, I figured they would be here for the long haul - like, longer than I would be alive. Like I stated earlier, I was paid up halfway through 2024, and would have paid for further subscriptions around Christmas time. That is usually when they would offer several years of digital subscriptions at discounted rates.

8. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Maybe you could suggest that they post back issues on line for free once they publish the last issue. That way their knowledge lives on.

9. Asia-Off-Grid

Sent you a Private Message.

10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yeah it's odd that they wouldn't maintain the archive behind a small paywall online. It wouldn't make them rich but but for minimal maintenance they could make a small amount through their retirement. First I've heard of the resource but I'd be interested in having access to it even if it cost a few bucks. Just that Web Xtras page is a great resource.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Ganado
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. ED GEiN
  7. SurvivalJester
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Benjamin A. Wood
  10. Benjamin A. Wood
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. john316