Went to the largest Military parade since 1918 today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Apr 23, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Lots of pics....

Was for the Tennessee National Guard. The 278th Armored Calvary Regiment which saw a year or so in Iraq. They just renamed the unit to the 278th Combat Regiment

http://www.278acr.com/metadot/index.pl

Go Vols

Made me think of Sniper [winkthumb]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Cool, I especially like the Cav hats, even the BC wearing one.

3. melbo

What do those hats mean?

The parade stopped with 5 seperate groups of about 100ish. Cav hats were all on the far right. What is the BC? Battalion Commander?

4. melbo

also, 4th pic of the parade down. Guy is wearing a different set of boots than the rest. I saw a few more pairs as well. I'm sure that means something too

5. ghostrider

Batallion Commander. In the pass-in-review, he's the one of front of the different companies' Guidon Bearers.
    With the straps, they're tanker boots.
    The Cav hats are unauthorized as hell, but it means the proud tradition of the US Army Cavalry is alive and well. Hooah.

6. melbo

Ah. OK. That beefy, east Tennessee looking guy that looks like he should have a beer in his hand? [boozingbuddies]

I didn't realize this was such a big deal when we went to it. I'm glad we went.

Some more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a small video:

Attached Files:

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Maybe unauthorized, but the use was mostly consistent, BatCom and CC wearing them. That's OK in my book in formal events, but there are a couple other guys with them, too. (Also a few boonies in evidence.) That said, in combat, the guy with the fancy headgear is the target. I'm still wondering what the military is coming to, not a Class A uniform in sight, not even the band. All formality is out the window, it seems. :evil:

8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Great photo's. Thanks for sharing melbo.

That saddens me also ghrit. Culturally, we are becoming a casual society but I miss the formal dress on occasions such as this. On the other hand, the price of the uniforms add an extra burden on the troops. Times change but I guess I'm one of the old fogies who misses the traditions of the past.

As a kid, my favorite thing to do was peddle my bike down to the parade grounds every Saturday morning for parade review. I viewed my father with awe as he lead his troops and it was a feeling that stayed with me throughout his life. Parade review is one of my fondest memories and I'm still a sucker for a military parade particularly in full dress.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We were issued the uniforms needed to satisfy ALL requrements we had to meet, and there was a portion of pay that was not taxed, specifically for uniform maintenance. I guess the officer corps had other arrangements, I don't know about that. But us swabbies just had to keep things neat and clean. That was "yesterday" and times have changed. ;)

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know my dad bought his uniforms but I don't know if it was with pre-tax dollars. I never thought to ask him. I do remember that my mom who "kept the books" had a special bank account earmarked for uniforms. I still have the records, Chase Manhatten Bank.

11. ghostrider

Class As are issued to all enlisted men, officers have to buy them. They wore the Desert BDUs by choice or by convenience, if they just got back, everybody probably didn't have a set that fit.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

proud tradition of the US Army Cavalry is alive and well. Hooah.Ex 19Dmyself it’s a deep traditions in the Cav to wear the Hats
    also it is unit choice to wear fatigues instead of Class A’s.
    If it were my choice I would have wore the BDU’s I'm not big on dress up, Unless it is a formal meeting Like weddings, Funerals … etc
    Looks like a Good Bunch of troopers.

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The one that looks like Roger Clemens.

Nothing makes you prouder!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7