Wet fire

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Oct 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

They are a nice idea, using a thermocouple to produce a few watts. Then using those watts to power a fan to produce a more efficient, hotter fire, and produce a few more surplus watts. The thermocouple technology has been around for a long while, but the idea to operate it in a small stove is a good one. I know some people that have one, but they will not part with it for a weekend for me to play with it.[dunno]

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

At @$130. 00 plus the grill attachment, I don't think I would loan it out either. (I believe it will also charge your cell phone. or USB device)

3. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

They keep asking me what the output wattage is. How would I know if they don't loan it to me? I can only guess that it's 3-4 watts. That's the theoretical maximum derived by the engineers that own it, using the delta T characteristics of several different kinds of thermocouples and the heat output of the stove. I have no problem cutting apart an old USB cable so I can hook it up to the multimeter.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I like the low tech Emberlit wood stove.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Or crazy cheap, build your own, wood-gas stove. I made on and it works great. The Emberlit works as well and folds down to nothing.

6. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

New guy here with my $0.02 worth...

'Wet Fire' reminds me of the older Gerber tinder cubes that were included with an overly large and bulky flint/magnesium rod (black or orange, IIRC). Anyway, I tried the cubes after 12-16 months of being packed away in a BOB (a cool dry closet).
    Sadly, they were useless!

They fell apart and even the smaller pieces refused to take a flame (much less a spark).
    I think the thin foil-type wrapper may have been the cause but either way, I would never rely on such a item.

As cheap as the company may be with many items, Coghlan's waxy tinder cubes are superior to anything I've ever used.
    Weather-resistant, small, and once "fluffed up" take a spark from even an empty Bic lighter!

Brokor likes this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Alanaana
  6. Illini Warrior
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. DKR
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. Ganado
  11. Merkun