What’s the Coolest Thing You’ve Found?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Some rag bologna, hoop cheese, soda crackers and a glop of mustard on a piece of wax paper washed down with a bottled coke

Meat likes this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

4E3D9745-F18A-453E-A20B-9793C02754F6. I found this in the road Friday. Does anyone know what it’s from? Broke right at the drilled hole. :D

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Broken Truck leaf spring.

I don't so much find things, as things are given to me.
    Problem with this is it accumulates faster than rabbits multiply .
    ON the one hand there are people that will throw good stuff away in the trash thinking of no one else, and on the other there're those that would rather give it to some one that might have a use for it.
    I seem to have acquired this gift/curse from dad. and it takes great restraint to say no to people that want to give you stuff.
    When dad passed I inherited all his stuff, and when my brother retired he gave me all the contents of the air compressor shop.
    Friends and neighbors give me stuff they are about to throw away, even trees for fire wood.
    I have barrels for recycling ,but i've even picked through them for materials needed for making repairs on stuff Im working on.
    Having learned to weld plastics , having a selection on hand makes it difficult to just throw it all away to some one else recycling.
    Storing all this stuff is another big problem among with organization .
    If I scrap something , the time is invested in seperating fasteners and other useful components , and what has no known future, "that" is recycled .
    Problem is the more you know how to fix the less one is willing to throw something away.

Lancer, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I found an enormous Wilkinson aluminum pipe wrench. I think it's a 24". It's wonderful to work with, being so light weight, and it has sharp stainless steel teeth.

I found a military lawyers tablet, a cab drivers phone, and a couple wallets. All returned to very grateful folks.

techsar, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  5. Are you guys related to me? I keep telling everyone my penchant for looking in the trash is genetic, like my grandfather, in the early 'teens He found a waterloo boy and rebuilt it to use. Dad was the same way, so are my brother and our nephews. I dug lots of hand tools out of scrap bins at work..

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

So you wanted to know what a Waterloo boy is?

There's one that shows up at the county fair every year. I've not yet seen it run, but sure would like to.

Gator 45/70, techsar, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  7. I know what a waterloo boy was, Dad talked about them often enough. We used the last parts of one to make a header trailer. Axle of a JD combine. I was born across the river from John Deere's smithy. Also, if anyone cares, in the same town Dredd Scott lived in when he tried to claim his freedom. First rail bridge across the Mississippi. Effie Afton, Abe Lincoln. Lot of unspoken history in the QCA.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Was pretty sure you did, but I wasn't sure myself. They are not common these days, and I know BTPost is old enough, but had no clue either.

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not much of a Tractor follower, but I did learn to operate a Motor Vehicle, on a an old IH Super Farmall Tractor, on my GodFathers Quarter Section, Place, out here Yelm, Washington...

Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. YUP learned to drive on a ford 9-n

Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Looks like a new knife to me?

toydoc, Seawolf1090, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  12. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

About 1996, two glass bottles of Off, priced at 85cents each in an old neighborhood hardware store.

Motomom34, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m going to give it a shot. I’ll post the highlights or lowlights. :D

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I believe he could get a few good knives out of that .

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  15. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Other than "finding" my wife? Hmm, well I did find coffee at 55 cents/lb in Panama. Filled my seabag with that.
    Or maybe an 1876 Whitneyville Armory revolver for $50?
    Kind of hard to say any one item as the coolest ;)

Motomom34, Gator 45/70, Meat and 2 others like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Coolest things I've found:
    • A family friend we lost track of years ago on an Internet forum. We became friends without knowing who each other was and it wasn't until a face to face meeting at a protest in Salem did we put the pieces together.
    • Hunting in eastern Oregon found a cougar skull and ran across a fire pit made from a Bobcat tread.
    • Piles and piles of obsidian flake at and around Bogg Hot Springs near the Oregon/Nevada border where the Indians used to winter and passed the time making arrowheads.
    • Obsidian boulders as big as houses on the southern slopes of the South Sister.
    • A natural staircase of columnar basalt going up the side of a cliff on Ruckel Ridge in the Columbia Gorge

17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

All great responses folks. The little dog was right near if not at the top in my opinion. Awesome. :D

18. Unique

Unique Monkey

When I was 6 or 7 years old I found a heavy iron coffe pot buried in a field just west of Omaha. My mom wanted to take it to the Museum and have it appraised but I gave it away to my aunt before she could. Mom never forgave me for that but my aunt kept it for the rest of her life.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  19. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Two greatest ones: A ride-on Ditch Witch in the woods. It was a big project and cost about $800 to fix up. Used it for several years and took an offer of $2000 for it. The next was a 32 volt DC generator with a two cylinder diesel engine. We hauled it out of the woods and cleaned it all up and got it running pretty easily. It was from a house that burned down in the 1930's. Hauled it to a Threshers Reunion and took an offer of $1500 for it.
    Yesterday, found a Streamlight Microlight in the parking lot at the hospital. I told security I had it if anyone comes back for it. No way I was leaving it with them, because I know they always find the "owner".

20. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Some recent finds :D 9A9CBC66-7F9E-4022-9FA4-B142E4E4E2FA.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7