What’s the Coolest Thing You’ve Found?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Jan 20, 2018.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

On the Northern face of Haven Hill, the old Ford retreat, I found a concrete bunker built into the hill. It struck me as odd at the time, but as an observation post it was ideally placed to keep an eye on the only road access to the area. I tried to contact the Haven Hill Historical Society about it, but never have gotten a response.
    Haven Hill History

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. rogerflash

rogerflash On Hiatus Banned

In the past year I have found $ 100 on the road

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

One brand new ruger single six,more than once at a roadside park close to home ,beer,whiskey,tools,a dog chained to a tree ln park, and one women a husband had dropped off at park(carried her home) just about everything.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  4. leonard_hartmann

leonard_hartmann On Hiatus Banned

This is my cat, which I found on the road

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found this today in a pile of Free Stuff. It is beautiful

IMG_3693.JPG

@hot diggity look at my new lantern :)

Sgt Nambu, Meat, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

220H? J? Looks like it's in good shape. Build date is stamped on the bottom. Have you fired it up yet? If you want to make it a little more versatile I could give you a quick tutorial on how to convert it to kerosene. The changes are completely reversible, and will give greater fuel options. Kerosene cut with citronella oil keeps bugs away.

I have a 220H that's dressed up like a Coleman 231, and a 220J that thinks it's a 206. The 231 was an export kerosene model, and the 206 was an export to the Philippines that used a unique kerosene fueled preheat cup.

Meat and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

12 is on the left and 73 is on the right side. The mantles are half burned up but it seems in great shape otherwise. I love free

Gator 45/70, Meat and oldawg like this.
  8. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

hot diggity and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I found a rolex on a pier in San Fran one year, turned it into security, a year later they sent it to my house. I think my Dad sold it for $500. (I was 10 yrs old)

the most facinating thing i have ever found were cicada skin on the side of a tree. to this day I still wonder how those bugs get out of their skins whole.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Sgt Nambu, Meat, Byte and 2 others like this.
  10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yeah these are the coolest! I found one stuck to the screen in a basement window well at a place my sister was living a few years ago. Wasn't in quite as a good shape as yours is though. So rare to find them here.

Ganado and Meat like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The skin is soft and splits length wise, as the insect exits the split is near impossible to see.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  12. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

one of my best finds over the years is an old old Coleman Quik-Lite lantern - mid 1920s manufacture - one of their early Sunshine Safety products - "The Sunshine of the Home" .... paid a couple of bucks

fired right up - probably had hung unused in the garage for 50 years ....

surprisingly very little has changed over the decades in it's basic design ....

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm still amazed that the legs are in tact. We live in an inexplicable world full of wondrous oddities.

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  14. 44044

44044 Monkey+++

I know what you mean about the legs being intact...over the years I've about worn mine off...

Meat and Ganado like this.
  15. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Here's a neat time lapse with a few little factoids.

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

that is so cool ty @Byte

Byte and Meat like this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Immediately afterward, it flew in the window of my truck while I was country cruising and scared the crap out of me.

Meat and Ganado like this.
  18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

3C1F41AA-582E-40BC-AD49-A5526C42B066. Latest find. ‘‘Twas only a block from my house, lying in the road. It’s basically brand new minus a touch of road rash. Benchmade by Mel Pardue. 154cm. Not auto as I would have to forfeit that to the proper authorities. :whistle:

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

this is a portion of a mounted collection i have of beads and arrowheads. This arrowhead is an inch long. I am amazed at the tiny size of the bone beads. Everytime i look at it i am amazed at the craftsmanship and patience it took to make these beads.

[​IMG]

Sapper John and Meat like this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    even back in the day, people wanted to look pretty. I'm am also fascinated about early artwork and made items.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7