What all medical supplies do you have in your bag?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by chambers270, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, now that depends. If I sit too long in one place, I limp often. Therefore, hunting with me is somewhat comical. :cool:

Treating your own injuries is critical. At the very least, you can get yourself bandaged up until you can receive proper care, if it's available. I think infections and toxic shock (ladies) will be primary causes of death in a WROL situation. Just knowing the signs and symptoms as well as prevention by knowing what can cause infections can be imminently helpful. Always clean any wound with sterile liquids, and remove foreign material (like a splinter) immediately, then bandage with (again) sterile gauze. Keeping clean without running water freely available is difficult. Make it a priority to boil water and clean every day or two (hands, face, private areas).

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Have to disagree here. You need not have the skills to use all the tools in the kit. There just might be someone in your group that can and didn't bring them. YMMV of course, but if the weight penalty isn't too great, better to have than have not.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Yard Dart, DarkLight and BTPost like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Does anyone know where to buy a similar IV kit as what is issued with the CLS bag?

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

OK, here is my two cents worth.

I have never seen a pre-built first aid kit that was worth a crap. That includes the standard packing lists from military medic bags...

There are two things to consider. Fixing minor boo-boos, and taking care of an emergency. The emergency is first aid, the boo-boos are just life.

For the boo-boos, a bar of soap (like from a hotel), some water (clean enough to drink) and a few bandaids should do it. Maybe some tylenol and ibuprofen, a cold remedy, an OTC anti-diarrheal, and whatever daily drugs someone takes.

For the emergency stuff, there are a few things that will kill you, right damned quickly. Not breathing, bleeding, anaphylactic shock, are a few of them. So, I'd have a plan to make certain that people can breath - oral and nasopharyngeal airways, a 12 gauge 3" angiocath (chest dart) and the knowledge to use it, epinephrine and Benadryl (diphenhydramine), clotting agents (real ones, not turmeric or whatever), dressings (lots of them), proper tourniquets (not somebody's belt or boy scout scarf). Tape.

Somebody was asking about an IV kit....a 1 liter bag of whatever weighs more than 2.2 pounds, plus everything else that goes into it. Call it 2 1/2 pounds. Is it necessary? Occasionally, but I've seen (in my military career and as an EMS director for a 3-county EMS provider system) that when moderately trained people have an IV it becomes the solution to every problem. And someone bleeding out probably doesn't need a sudden influx of another liter of water further diluting the oxygen carrying capacity of their blood, and washing out their blood clotting factors (which take days to weeks to replace). As was discovered in Mogadishu, giving IV's to hemorrhaging patients isn't a good thing - the policy now is to maintain volume to support a certain systolic bp, not achieve normal bp. If someone was trained as a CLS 10 years ago and didn't get updated training, they'd be DOING IT WRONG.

There might be better things to carry than a 2 1/2 lb bag of water. That is expensive, fragile, and expires every few years.

There are a few other things that might be worth carrying, like a SAM splint and a pair of EMT shears. Everything else is pretty optional and can be improvised with other things handy.

CPR mask? Meh. The unfortunate reality of CPR is that it works about 1 time in 5, even when EVERYTHING is in place to keep someone having a heart attack is in place - and everything includes witnessed arrest and immediate bystander CPR, an AED, EMS at ACLS level, and a cath lab less than an hour away. Take away any of those things and the success rates get MUCH worse. C-collar? I took them off my ambulances, along with long backboards (they kept short backboards to use to assist in extrication). Specialty bandages? A 4x4 isn't elegant, but works.

Someone will usually chime in that they're carrying all sorts of stuff even though they don't know what to do with it, in case someone is around who does and it's needed. Nice try, but where do you draw the line? A B-One bomber with a loadout of ALCM's might just be handy in some circumstances, too. A battery of 155mm guns...an M1 Tank company.. And the stuff that amateurs pick is usually nothing I ever have needed in the field - starting with out of date sutures, that are probably dried out and broken, with the wrong needles (or no needles at all). The GI field surgical kit is also pretty much not enough of anything worthwhile. An OB kit? The kids coming out, even if you don't have one. The list goes on....

Now, a designated medic, who's primary role is a medic, can and should have a few more things - but they should also have the training to use them. Things like a syringe to irrigate wounds (with drinking water), dermabond or butterflies to close wounds (not sutures), some diagnostic gear (bp cuff, stethoscope, tympanic thermometer, good penlight). Do I carry more? Sometimes, but I'm not a line combatant (unless the shit has truly hit the fan), and I have more than 10 years (after college) of medical-specific education, and 30 years of experience - and I stay current.

As far as training goes, if it were up to me, children would not be allowed out of elementary school without the equivalent of Red Cross standard/basic first aid and CPR (it can work in cities, somewhat), out of middle school with the equivalent of Red Cross Advanced First aid (and a new CPR/AED card), and high school with something like Wilderness First Responder....where you learn some decent first aid skills, and how to improvise with what is at hand. Of course, they would also leave high school with a high-performance driving course under their belts, defensive firearms class, and an amateur General class ticket...My kids did, they're in their 30s now, and one is a surgeon and the other a field-grade AF Officer (pilot, too). And they keep current on their first aid and shooting quals.

As I said, the problem I have with most preppers medical preps is they will be happy to spend a minimum of a thousand dollars on a rifle and ammo, or a few hundred dollars on a freaking knife, and want to skimp out on medical supplies and mostly, training. They buy some piece of crap 'CLS' bag off of ebay and think they've got that checkbox checked.

Then, once you have TEMPORARILY patched someone up, then what? What is your follow-on plan to get them definitive treatment, rehab, and deal with any disabilities they may have? Think that CLS bag has a health button you can click, and the injured warrior is good as new? The hard call to make is if you cannot provide that care, in many cases where you actually need that CLS bag or whatever, all you are doing is extending the suffering of the soon to be dead. Someone who has a bullet wound in their torso or abdomen is probably not going to survive, without the care a physician (or someone with the appropriate training and experience) can provide. It's not like watching some western on TV where the hero gets shot in the chest and still manages to shoot 8 bad guys with his peacemaker - without reloading.

About this time someone will say No problem! We have an RN! So? What kind of RN? Emergency or Surgical experience (not just standing there)? Or did they work in the doctors office taking bp's for 40 years? Or someone is a former SF medic - again, if they dont have current education, and experience, I'm not impressed. And the folks counting on him shouldn't be too reliant. I get float nurses in the ED all the time who are from other departments...they are often less than helpful. Or the one-trick ponies, who always seem to be the ones inserting a foley catheter during a code (eh, that won't save the patient......)

And mostly, I have a problem with the preppers who emphasize trauma (blood and gore, oooh, SEXY!) over good health - keeping themselves healthy through clean water, soap, hygiene and basic sanitation. As I have had to remind my residents (who may be MD's but are still students) the field of Civil Engineering is responsible or keeping more people alive throughout histor,y, than Medicine has....through clean water, sewer systems, and trash disposal. A latrine and burn pit isn't sexy but it saves more lives than a CLS.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@alaskachick RN would like the above, A LOT.... She worked in High Risk L&D, for decades, and the one comment she makes, still, is, "Most ED/ER folks see a Pregnant Lady come thru the Auto Sliding Doors, they scream for the OB Department to come get their Patient... It doesn't matter to them, that the Patient has two Broken Legs or a splinter in the finger... Call OB and get them Folks down here, NOW...." [lolol]

sec_monkey and Ganado like this.
  6. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

And thinking that you don't need to know this stuff, because it's on your smartphone or you have it in a .pdf somewhere won't be helpful when the nets down, or your battery is dead, or an EMP fried your laptop.....Lifesaving knowledge needs to be kept in wetware (the brain) with paper a distant second.

paraclete likes this.
  7. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

Sure. Thats the problem with medical education - there are lots of new MD's who need to get trained, including the OB/Gyn residents. When I was the department head at the Big City Medical School Quadrary Medical Center Trauma Center, OB demanded that they get all OB issues....I had to fight to let the ED residents get experience. But I let the OB residents get the bartholin cyst drainage cases...

But a L/D nurse managing a polytrauma isn't going to be as useful as an Emerg nurse with 20 years of experience.

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

Actually, we practiced on pigs feet...Orange peel is too thick to represent skin. But if you can suture the membrane under the skin, you have some good skills. Same with a banana.

It isn't the suturing thats hard..if you can sew a button on, you can suture.

It's important to know what to suture, when to suture it, and what kind of sutures (and needles, there are LOTS of options) to use.

And there is no medical reason to close most accidental wounds - they will close just fine on their own, albeit with worse scarring and slower. OTOH, there is little chance of trapping a foreign body in a wound you don't suture.

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

Here's what I carry (or get help carrying) as my field medical kit....I have much more at home. I keep the drugs in a Koolatron in the car to keep them cool.

MEDICAL PACK

Pack Conterra ALS-Extreme ea 1
    Kifaru E&E with shoulder straps ea 1
    Pockets as needed ea 10

Diagnostic Module
    *Flashlight, mini-mag light LED/Tailcap switch conversion, Lithium batteries (in Nite-Ise Clip Pocket XL) ea 1
    *Headlamp Petzl Tac-Tikka deluxe with 3 lithium AAA batteries ea 1
    *Spare AA lithium batteries 4/pk pk 1
    *Spare AAA lithium batteries pk/4 ea 2
    *Thermometer hypothermia digital (replace battery annually) ea 1
    Applicator stick cotton tip 2's sterile ea 5
    Band aids asst size in ziplock bag, 50 bg 1
    Benchmade Rescue Hook #5, with sheath ea 1
    Betadine 3/4 oz pkgs, in ziplock ea 4
    Biohazard bag 1 gallon ea 2
    BP Cuff Tycos Palm adult ea 1
    Cover, thermometer disposable ea 20
    Dental floss unwaxed, small spool ea 1
    Gloves protective P2 XL in ziplock bag 20 pr pr 1
    Hand sanitizer gel 2 oz in ziplock bag btl 2
    Holster, nite-ize Clip Pocket XL ea 1
    Jac-strap (headband for mini-mag) Nite-Ize ea 1
    Mask / eyeshield disposable ea 5
    Multi-tool Gerber in sheath (Nite Ize Mini-pock-it ea 1
    Notebook waterproof Rite in the Rain 4x6 ea 1
    Organizer Conterra SOAP-Note ea 1
    Pen black ball point Fisher Space Pen ea 1
    Pencil wooden #2 with eraser ea 2
    Pocket otoscope diagnostic kit kt 1
    Polar Pure btl in ziplock ea 1
    Scrub brush, hibiclens scrub in ziplock bag ea 3
    Soap bar small (hotel size) in ziplock bag ea 2
    Space sleeping bag ea 1
    Spec Ops Forces Med Hdbk 2nd Ed bk 1
    Stethoscope Littman Master Classic ea 1
    Tissue indiv pack in ziplock bag pk 3
    Tounge blades indiv wrapped zip lock ea 5
    Trauma shears on retratcable lanyard pr 2
    Wilderness Medical Associates Field Guide bk 1
    Poleless Litter ea 1

Airway Management Module
    Airway kit case ea 1
    BVM Ambu SPUR ea 1
    Combitube ea 1
    ET Tube sizes 6, 7, 7.5, 8 mm with styletes ea 1
    Forceps Macgill Adult pr 1
    NP airway set st 1
    OP airway set st 2
    Pocket mask Laerdal kit ea 1
    *Pulse Ox Nonin Onyx 9500 kt 1
    Surgilube 3gm foil pack in ziplock ea 24
    Syringe 10-12 ml no needle ea 1
    Tactical Laryngoscope Set with lithium batteries st 1

IV / Parenteral Module
    Alcohol swabs indiv foil wrapped ziplock 20's ea 1
    Angiocath 14 ga 1 1/4" ea 2
    Angiocath 14 ga 3 1/2" ea 2
    Angiocath 16 ga 1 1/4" ea 8
    Dextrose 5% 500 ml ea 2
    Intraosseous FAST ea 2
    IV Admin set st 6
    IV pressure infuser/organizer ea 1
    IV start set st 6
    Needle IM 20 ga x 1 1/2" ea 5
    Needle SQ ea 6
    NS 500ml ea 4
    Syringe 3 cc ea 5
    Syringe 5 cc ea 5
    Tourniquet phlebotomy ea 2

Dressings - Wound Management Module
    Bandage Coban 3" rl 4
    Betadine wipe indiv foil wrap in ziplock ea 24
    Blister Kit Second Skin kt 1
    Catheter Foley 16 Fr ea 2
    Cervical collar Stiffneck adjustable ea 2
    Chest tube 28 Fr, 36 Fr ea 2
    Combat Gauze ea 2
    Dressing field lg (11x11) ea 2
    Dressings field or Israeli 4" ea 3
    Dressings field or Israeli med (6") ea 2
    Irrimax wound irrigation btl 2
    Kerlix or Kling 4.5" rl 2
    KTD ea 1
    Multi-Trauma dressing 10x30" ea 1
    Organizer, Eagle half-cube red ea 1
    Quick Clot dual pk sponge pk 4
    SAM splint XL folded ea 2
    Scalpel #11 disposable sterile ea 2
    Sponge 2x2 2's pk 6
    Sponge 4x4 2's pk 12
    Staple remover disp ea 1
    Stapler Skin 5 staples disp ea 3
    Steri-Strips 1/4" x 3" ea 4
    Syringe 60 cc irrigation/suction ea 1
    Tampon OB Brand ea 2
    Tape athletic waterproof 1 1/2" rl 2
    Tinct of benzoin amps ea 12
    Tourniquet one handed ea 2
    Trauma pad 5x9" ea 2
    Triangular bandage ea 4
    Vaseline gauze 3x36" ziplock ea 1
    Water Gel Burn dressing 4x16" ea 4

Surgical Instruments
    Blade Scalpel #10 indiv wrapped ea 4
    Blade Scalpel #11 indiv wrapped ea 4
    Blade Scalpel #15 indiv wrapped ea 4
    Cordless electrocautery fine tip ea 2
    Cordless electrocautery loop tip ea 2
    Drain penrose sterile 7/16x1/4x12 ea 2
    Drape, sterile pack of 2 ea 1
    Forceps Addson Tissue 4 3/4" pr 2
    Glove latex surgical sterile indiv wrapped 8.5 pr 6
    Handle Scalpel #3 ea 2
    Hemostat mosquito pr 2
    Hemostat, curved mosquito 5" pr 2
    Needle Holder Mayo-Hagar 6" pr 2
    Probe 6" eye end ea 2
    Retractor, Army-Navy 8 3/4" ea 4
    Scissors, Iris 4 1/2" straight pr 2
    Scissors, Metzenbaum 5 1/2" curved pr 1
    Scissors, Metzenbaum 5 1/2" straight pr 1
    Surgical drape 18x26 ea 2
    Suture absorbable w/ needle indiv 3-0 ea 5
    Suture absorbable w/ needle indiv 5-0 ea 5
    Suture absorbable w/needle indiv 6-0 ea 3
    Suture nonabsorbable w/ needle indiv 3-0 ea 5
    Suture nonabsorbable w/ needle indiv 5-0 ea 4
    Suture nonabsorbable w/ needle size 2-0 ea 2
    Suture nonabsorbable with curved needle size 0 Silk ea 2

Pharmacy - kept in Conterra Med Pro XL organizer

Acetominophen 500mg 100's NSAID OTC 1
    Aspirin 325mg tabs, bottle 24's NSAID for pain, fever, inflamation, cardiac OTC 1
    Betadine Sol 4 oz bottle topical antiseptic OTC 2
    Bisacodyl (Dulcolax) 5mg PO Laxative OTC 20
    Caffeine tablets (No doze) 12s' caffeine headache, stay-awake OTC 1
    Chap Stick hot weather in ziplock lip balm OTC 2
    Clotrimazole oint 1% (Lotrimine) 1/2oz Fungal skin infections OTC 1
    Clotrimazole sol (Lotrimine) 10ml Fungal skin infections OTC 1
    Diphenhydramine (Benedryl) 25mg 24's antihistimine OTC 1
    Eye drops (Visine or equal) 15ml btl minor eye irritation OTC 1
    Famotidine tab 10 mg Pepcid-AC blister pack Gastric reflux / heartburn OTC 12
    Ibuprofen (Motrin) 200 mg 100's NSAID for pain, fever, inflamation OTC 2
    Instant Glucose 25gm tube hypoglycemia tx OTC 1
    Loperamide (Immodium) 2mg 12's diarrhea OTC 1
    Loratidine 5mg (Claritin) 12's allergies OTC 1
    Meclazine chewable (Bonine) 16's motion sickness, diziness OTC 1
    Oxymetazoline (Afrin) Nasal Spray 0.5oz btl nasal congestion, non sedating OTC 1
    Potassium Iodide tabs 14's OTC 2
    Robitussin DM 4ozl btl cough OTC 2
    Robitussin lozenge indiv wrapped 25's cough OTC 1
    Sting-eze btl 15ml sting relief OTC 1
    Sudafed 30 mg tab 24's allergic rhinitis, congestion OTC 1
    Triple-Antibiotic oint 15ml tube antibiotic oint OTC 2

Acetazolamide (Diamox) 500mg tab For edema Rx 12
    Amoxicillin Clavulinate (Augmentin) 875mg tabs Penicillin, animal bites Rx 20
    Azithromycin 250mg 6 tab Z-pack Macrolide Antibiotic Rx 2
    Ceftriaxone (Rocephin) inj 1 gm kit 3rd Gen Cephalosporin Antibiotic Rx 2
    Cephalexin (Keflex) 500mg tab 30's 1st Gen Cephalosporin Rx 1
    Ciprofloxacin 500mg 60 First gen fluoroquinolon Rx 1
    Cyclopentolate opth sol 2 ml 1% Cyclogel Corneal abrasion or snowblindness Rx 1
    Dexamethasone (Decadron) 4mg/ml 25 ml vial For cerebral edema Rx 2
    Dextrose 50% 25gm pre-fill diabetic hypoglycemia Rx 2
    Diazepam (Valium) 10mg tablets 30's Benzodiazepam, sedation / muscle relaxation Rx 1
    Diazepam (Valium) inj 5mg / ml 10 ml vial Benzodiazepam, sedation / muscle relaxation Rx 3
    Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) preload 50mg /1ml allergy - longer action than epi Rx 5
    Droperedol 2.5mg/ml 2ml vial Sedation / nausea Rx 4
    Epinephrine 1:1000 30ml amp Alergy Rx 1
    Epi-Pen twinject autoinjector 0.3ml For anaphylactic shock Rx 2
    Erythromycin oint opth eye infection Rx 1
    Etomidate inj 2mg/ml 10ml vial anesthesia induction Rx 3
    Fluocinolone acetonide cream 0.025% (Synalar) 15 gm tube topical rash Rx 1
    Furosemide (Lasix) 10mg/ml Diuretic Rx 2
    Levofloxacine 500 mg tabs 30's 4th Gen Fluoroquinolone Rx 1
    Lidocaine 1% 50 ml vial local anesthetic Rx 3
    Lidocaine 1% with Epi 50 ml vial local anesthetic Rx 2
    Meloxicam 15mg 30's NSAID pillpack pain reliever Rx 1
    Metronidazole (Flagyl) 500mg tab 30's Intra-abdominal infection, Giardia, UTI Rx 1
    Moxifloxacin (Avelox) 400mg quinolone Abx Rx 12
    Naloxone (Narcan) 2mg/ml preload Opiate antagonist for accidental OD Rx 2
    Nifedipine (Procardia) 10mg tab 100's HAPE, Ca++ Channel blocker, HTN Rx 1
    Nitroglycerine spray 0.4ml dose Angina Rx 1
    Phenytoin (Dilantin) inj 50mg/ml 1gm vial anti-convulsant Rx 2
    Piperacillin/tazobactam (Zosyn) IV Penicillin Rx
    Pralidoxime 1gm vial dry organophosphate poison Rx 1
    Prednisone 20mg tab 100's Corticosteroid, inflamation Rx 1
    Promethazine (Phenergan) 25mg/ml 10ml vial nausea Rx 1
    Provigil 200mg 30's awake-aid Rx 1
    Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% 50 gm jar Topical Burn treatment Rx 1
    Sodium bicarb inj 8.4% Alkalanize, 50 ml vial Rx 4
    Tetracaine Opth sol 0.5% 1ml dropper tube Eye injury - painful exams Rx 1
    Thiamine HCl Inj 100 mg/ml 2 ml amp for refeeding after starvation Rx 1
    Trimethoprim (160mg) / Sulfamethaxazole (800mg) (Septra DS) 30's Sulfonamide Rx 1
    Vancomycin 1gm dose IV vial Rx 6
    Vecuronium sedation (rapid) paralyitic Rx 4
    Water sterile 20ml vial Rx 4
    Zolpidem (Ambien) 10mg 30's sleep aid Rx 1
    Morphine Sulfate inj 10 mg/ml 1 ml amp Pain relief, serious Rx Sched II 5
    Hydrocodone 10mg / Acetaminophen 500mg (Vicodin) tabs 30's Pain relief Rx Sched III 1
    Ketamine 50mg/ml 10ml vial procedural sedation Rx Sched III date rape 4
    Loreazepam (Ativan) inj 2mg/ml anianxiolytic Rx Sched IV 4
    Loreazepam (Ativan) tablets 1mg 30 anianxiolytic Rx Sched IV 1
    Versed inj 5mg/ml 10ml vial sedation (rapid) Rx Sched IV 2

Oxygen Kit

Contera O2 Caddy ea 1
    O2 tank Jumbo-D Aluminum ea 1
    Regulator ea 1
    BVM ea 1
    Airway Roll ea 1
    BAAM ea 2
    Batteries AA lithium 4's ea 4
    Bite stick ea 2
    ET Tube 4 mm uncuffed ea 2
    ET Tube 5mm uncuffed ea 2
    ET Tube 6 mm uncuffed ea 2
    ET Tube 7.5mm cuffed ea 2
    ET Tube 8.5mm cuffed ea 2
    ET Tube 8mm cuffed ea 2
    ET Tube holder ea 4
    Laryngoscope blade fiberoptic Mac ea 6
    laryngoscope blade fiberoptic Miller ea 5
    *Laryngoscope handle Stubby AA with lithium batteries st 1
    Magill forceps ea 1 adult
    Magill forceps ea 1 peds
    Mask, non-rebreather adjust ea 4
    Nasal cannula adult ea 2
    Nasal cannula peds ea 2
    Nasopharengeal airway set st 1
    Nebulizer ea 2
    OP airway st 1
    Oxy-miser ea 1
    surgilube indiv packets pkt 12
    Syringe, 10cc ea 3
    V-Vac ea 1

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Very nice! And thank you for taking the time to post this[winkthumb]

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

You're welcome. And that list will allow me to care for one major trauma patient in the field for 24 hours, or two for 12 hours....to the level of my ability, by myself, within reason. For example that oxygen tank will last around 30 minutes at 20 liters per minute....but there is a limit to how much can be carried into the field.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Now Doc , I can appreciate your knowledge and experience in medical field , and certainly with in a team you'd have a prominent place , but take some one like you with all that devotion to one field , how much else might they be expert in .
    I have known brain surgeons that could to even operate their own boat .
    Not that I can do brain surgery , I can't,, few can. but generally professional exclusives ,can be helpless out side their environment.
    But there are only so many things one can be expert at ,and even then, with the best of them that are good at a lot, there are holes.

BTW There are holes in your preps I see in medical supplies, such as, no= honey , sugar ,salt,vinegar, colloidal silver, to name a few.
    A lot of modern drugs will not be available, and alternatives need to be strongly considered , and how to grow and make them.
    Having skills in chiropractic field and acupuncture ,may not be popular, but they are effective . .( I know personally.)

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Geez @arleigh That was a cheap shot without having read the whole thread. You missed the context of the entire thread.

@Flight-ER-Doc covered basic health in a post above that, the list above was only his immediate carry bag... just in case of an emergency. The list is from his view point as a Doc which I asked him to post. It isn't his full on med preps.

14. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

No holes in my preps....If you note the first line or two of that post, it's my FIELD MEDICAL PACK, not my medical preps. Specifically, the pack I take to the field as a member of a Mountain Rescue Team. Attention to detail is important. And colloidial silver is bullshit, sorry to say. As far as Chiropractic goes, adjusting a subluxation in someone's neck isn't going to fix the bullet hole in their chest. If alternative medicine works for you, great. I prefer science that can be explained without faith, and reproduced.

As far as my other quals, I shoot master class in IPSC, have an Amateur Extra class license and a First Phone/GROL, can operate boats and even fly airplanes. I've sailed (solo) and flown (myself) around the world. Plus, for a large man, I am a surprisingly good dancer and attentive lover....

sec_monkey likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Hate to tell you this but colloidal silver is not BS
    beside my self there are several here that can give testimony to it's validity .

16. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Both of you please move on. If you want to compare the relative benefits and or efficacy of traditional vs holistic medicine, please put it in another thread so the rest of us can either participate or ignore it without sidetracking this thread.

Ganado likes this.
  17. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Flight ER, good posts. I agree with you. Still, my question wasn't answered about a good source to purchase new IV kits as those in the CLS bags.

sec_monkey likes this.
  18. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

Whatever. Testimony is not evidence, and you cannot tell me how much silver ("colloidial" or not) you actually are using.

The placebo effect is well known, if not well understood. If woo works for you, go for it. I would not rely on it, because I've had to treat people with serious, life-threatening diseases that relied on it...to their detriment, and death.

sec_monkey likes this.
  19. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

It's not easy...several components (the IV cannula, and the IV solution itself) are controlled. But, unless you have way the hell more training than a CLS, you shouldn't be attempting IV treatment - CLS's get away with it because there is the entire US Military medical evacuation system to pick up the care of the casualty.

Blood volume, without red blood cells, doesn't do much to keep the patient alive.

The worst thing that can happen in a hypovolemic from exsanguination patient is you pump in a liter of fluid, raising the systolic blood pressure above 80 mm Hg or so, blowing out whatever clots have formed. The casualty has used up all the clotting factors they have circulating, and will continue to bleed. Or worse, the few clotting factors remaining will start clotting in uninjured parts of the body (this is called DIC or disseminated intravascular coagulation) and this is a disaster in a hospital, imagine in the field.

Current TCCC doctrine is for front-line medics to stop the bleeding, monitor blood pressure and only add fluids if the systolic (upper) goes below 80. Instead of starting fluids on everyone, they start a saline lock, so if they need to administer IV meds or fluids, they can do it quickly, but not start fluids on everyone.

And unless you have GODS own medical evacuation chain, it won't make a hell of a lot of difference.

sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

I stay out of true-woo discussions, for the same reason I don't argue with drunks. It won't make any difference. It seems that my scientific and medical education is trumped by people who rely on internet nonsense, pushed by people who ultimately have an interest in selling you something - like colloidial silver, or a 'device' to make this crap.

But, when I am criticized for not having preps by someone who didn't bother to read what I said, I will reply.

sec_monkey, paraclete and Ganado like this.
  1. Bandit99
  2. hot diggity
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Meat
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. DKR
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Benjamin A. Wood
  9. Benjamin A. Wood
  10. HK_User
  11. The_Prepared
  12. Tully Mars