What AR Barrel

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fedorthedog, May 21, 2012.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Since we are talking about picking a given round and platform you may want to consider the Hornady 300 AAC Blackout 110 Grain V-Max, I did.

I want a standard AR platform with compatibility and full magazine capacity of the AR as well as a harder hitting and suppressible round. The 6.8 SPC cannot perform 2 out of the three.

SHTF and I'm into a full size battle rifle.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Point taken. I'm looking at it from a ammo supply perspective (right now) and a ballistics perspective. If you shoot suppressed, the .300 is really the way to go. For a good GP cartridge in an AR platform, the 6.8 IMO is the way to go.

But you are very correct that the parts commonality between the 5.56 and .300 make it very attractive.

3. HK_User

Please explain the "I'm looking at it from a ammo supply perspective (right now) and a ballistics perspective."

For myself I am seldom an an area that gives me more than 100 yards to shoot at a target that needs hitting. Ammo is available in 3 standard weights and 5.56 brass is easy to convert to 300AAC. Yes I reload and did purchase some re-manufactured brass, cleaned and with primed until loading dies dropped in price.

FMJ 147 grain was, at one time super cheap, these were pulled rounds but only blemished.

4. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

You reload, there's the major difference.

But I was mainly speaking from a "buy at Wal-Mart" perspective. Generally, .300 AAC or Blackout is hard to come by in factory loadings. And is more expensive than 5.56 or 6.8. It's catching up slowly, but it's still far from being a mainstream caliber. 5.56 tends to be about a third of the cost and 6.8 about two-thirds.

I have distances from indoor out to several hundred yards depending on whether I bug out or bug in. But I also have the full spectrum covered in that by diversifying my types. I have the 5.56 for general go to duties and the 6.8 for closer range hunting. And an AR-10 for the full power needs. I buy 6.8 and 7.62, but my main caliber is the 5.56.

I'm not saying the .300 is a bad round. Just that it's not as easy to get right now and the ballistics aren't that great past about 200 yards. It's like lobbing a mortar into a target. But it is great for suppressed needs and close in work. And if you reload and have the setup to resize the .223 brass, it makes a world of difference.

5. HK_User

No idea where you are but Walmart now carries the 300AAC and over 100 mfgs produce it.

This is a decent review.

"It's like lobbing a mortar into a target." Do you own this type weapon?

6. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Own, no. Have fired before, but not extensively, yes. Honestly, it wasn't for me by my choice. It may be for you though. But anything with a 25 inch drop at 300 yards is lobbing it in no matter how you put it. The .300 was designed for close in situations and requires either a good BDC scope or a lot of training to get it on target at distance. Yes, I've seen the videos where people are hitting targets at 500 and beyond. But that's with a lot of time, a lot of practice and some real good shooters. And when the video starts talking about how the ME at 700 yards is the same as 5.56 at 500 made me chuckle. At 500 yards, the .300 has a minimum of a 100 inch drop according to most of the data I've read. So 700 yards would be quite the trick.

And I'm questioning the 100 manufacturers. I'm not even positive there are 100 reputable manufacturers out there honestly. I'm not talking Billy Bob's Live Bait and Reloading Shop either. I studied it in depth when I was looking at a intermediate caliber AR weapon to supplement my AR15 and AR-10. And just found my personal needs were better suited with the 6.8 as opposed to the 6.5 Grendel or .300.

Look, I'm not dogging your choice here. If it works for you, it works for you. But it doesn't work for me because I have a lot larger spaces to deal with and I can't take the chance of taking a shot where I have to account for 20+ inches of drop at range. And no, I can't walk into most of the stores out here and get it. Some of them, but it's not as common as you would have me believe.

7. HK_User

Oh I have shot at a 1000 yard range, until a while back it was open and only a short distance from me. For that I use a 30.06 with iron sights. So a 20 inch drop is not unusual if you shoot long range with a full battle rifles, for that amount of drop can be the norm with a 30.06 at 350 yards, just depends on the load.

I see no reason to expect a 300 AAC to be used as a long distance weapon or even be compared to one.

Just wondering why all the buzz words in your post.

- See more at: 30-06 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org

Have a nice day, I'm done.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7