What are you driving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You got a new Land Cruiser. Congratulations. Did you get an up-grade or base model? Has the Land Cruiser changed much over the years?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

yup , They are huge POS IMO ,,Way to much to keep it working , Confusers on wheels -40f to 130F is not good for all the chips and nodes they have installed . plus with the crap solder (Green Solder ,ROLOS) have no lead (so no malleability and leads to broken solder joints) , on the board . They have LIN (local Internal Network) CAN ( Central Area Network ) LAN (Local Area Network) and then there is the MOST fiber systems ,,
    I drive many cars / trucks tractors
    Post shtf , if cars dead , 1980 Toyota 60 series with a 3B turbo Diesel .
    Merc 560 bluetech ,Volvos 4 ,Kubota's , new holland Diesel tractors ,Ford F350 diesel quad ..

Them new Space cars have all nodes programmed to the vin of the car , one shot parts , how green is that theft ??
    Sloth

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

.... this is a slightly different line to my old one, the basic body shape of this (its a 76 Series) dates back to 1985 !

This was a private purchase.....he almost cried when I drove it away. It's been offroad (as in off a sealed road...not 4x4ing) maybe three times....he had it to pull the caravan. Only reason he sold it is he has had a hip replacement and can't manage a heavy clutch anymore.

It is a GXL so top of this series. 4.5L Turbo diesel, upgraded clutch, dual batteries, UHF radio, 50mm heavy duty suspension lift, 3inch stainless exhaust system, tinted glass, factory front and rear diff locks, ARB bullbar, extra fuel filter arrangement, and lots of electrical work to support a van, fridge in the back and power sockets etc etc.

The proceeds of selling my old HJZ80 (it's still here in the garage) will all go into kitting this out with what the old one has that this lacks (siderails and sliders, rear bar with dual wheel carriers, long range tank and, a first for me, a winch (always used the HiLift in winch configuration but I am too old for that shit now). I will swap out the tyres from my old one onto this as they are less than a year old and a bit more aggressive then build the split deck for the cargo bay.

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, Ganado, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Mercedes-Benz-GL-350-CDi-BlueEFFICIENCY-4WD-EXT.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

that minivan can climb rocks or did you angle the picture? @Tully Mars :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[LMAO]

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Trees say it's climbing. Cute pic.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

*elbows @Merkun* it was a joke silly

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  8. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

My EMP proof off road vehicle is a 1948 cj2a I call "Tumbleweed" I did call it "The Harlot" for awhile. Because toys require repair and money bit by bit. That was too close to home I think as the wife objected to that name. HHHmmmmm. It is as mint as a 1948 flat fender can be, I have since painted it and did repairs that needed doing. It was in a barn in Nevada, so no rust anywhere at all. Oil pressure 60 psi. I did have a original 1963 Land Rover 109 Safari Wagon for several years. Regret letting that one go. That old pig would wallow through any mudhole. My brother owned a Jeep cj5 at the time, and he would get down on the frame in a mudhole. And I would wallow through the same mudhole he was stuck in and throw a chain on him and pull him out. It was a beast.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Honestly it's a photo I found on the net. It's a Mercedes Benz GL320CDI 4Matic.
    Yes it will climb rocks. When the 4x is engaged the SUV lifts 4" to increase ground clearance. In the picture above it is not in 4x. I bought Sass's last November for her main Christmas present.

Motomom34, Ganado, Merkun and 2 others like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Tully Mars Did you say it has an auto lift? What size tires do you have on it?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

KIMG3516. I had to swap to the 300D last night after I tested the fuel pressure on the Chevy. It's pumped somewhere near 9000 gallons of gasoline over its lifetime, and it's tired. Too tired to get through an intersection safely, so it gets a fuel pump tomorrow.

The Mercedes has no A/C at the moment and it's been hot here, but once I'm rolling it's not half bad with the front windows down.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

52879BD8-6FCA-462F-9AD1-E2B51F055D82. Ok, here is a Picture of the ‘06 White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck....

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

KIMG3518. Out and back in in just under an hour. The old Chevy has nice stable fuel pressure now and sounds much happier. ;-)

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

As last week was my last trip away in my old Landcruiser (I sold it while I was there !!) I snapped off a few "glamour pics" of it for memory sake...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....got home Friday night and both this and the replacement truck went to my workshop guys to swap over the tyres (the ones on the old are new, as are the ones on the new truck, but my existing ones are more aggressive and that's what I wanted). Yesterday I pulled out my UHF radio and cleaned out all the nooks and crannies of gear that lived in the old girl for those "just in case" moments, this lot...

[​IMG]

...is what was spread around inside in ADDITION to the dedicated tub of gear stored under the rear deck. Just have to lift off my roof rack today and it is ready for handover. Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, all the things I am removing were agreed to with the buyer (who is a friend who has been around this truck on and off for maybe 15yrs, so he knows exactly what he is buying !).

Tully Mars, Motomom34, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  15. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Oh man Andy, I could never sell an LC in that good of shape!

Of course, I have trouble selling anything 4x4 that runs... I'll have my '98 Tacoma until the day I die. If I ever win the lottery, maybe I'll request Elon Musk launch me in it for Mars or parts unknown... She's a classic! Oh and the timing belt needs done...;) Do I really need an excuse to putter around the garage with a cold beer? I think not!

Here's the daily.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7