What are you growing? 2018

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, May 27, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Update on my garden which is doing great. I have realized quite a lot this year by seeing what is thriving and what is not.

My straw bales are surviving but do not seem to be thriving:

IMG_4328.JPG

IMG_4329.JPG

Comparing my corn, some are planted in the bales and the other in pots on the patio:

IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4321.JPG

The stuff on the patio is thriving. It is tall healthy and green. I am beginning to think that vegetables in my area like filtered light. My potted veggies that are on the porch or mainly in shaded areas are doing really good but the ones in sun are stunted.

Tried these big tubs this year and every plant is growing. I usually count on losing a third of what I plant but nothing has died, now have to much in a small area. In these red tubs I have sweet potatoes, pink pumpkins and spaghetti squash. I will be tying the runners up and am hoping to have squash growing on the fence. I once saw a photo of the Disney green house and they had squash hanging from the roof. I always thought it was interesting so thought why not try it.

IMG_4319.JPG IMG_4320.JPG

Just transplanted my zucchini. It got too big for the pot it was in. I have never transplanted a zucchini and it went into shock but it perked up this morning.
    IMG_4324.JPG

They say you can grow in anything so I am trying that also. I had a friend swear by growing bags and they said if you cannot afford growing bags to go down to the dollar store and get some of the cloth shopping bags. I had a Walmart bag so I threw some dirt in it and will be trying to grow peppers. Also, I took a plastic tub and am hoping things grow well in that. I do wonder abut leaching, toxic etc but my main focus is seeing what grows and where it grows best etc. The peppers where transplanted from the straw bales yesterday. I am hoping that they take off and start to look healthier.

IMG_4322.JPG

My big tomato plant is in the straw bale and today I noticed the bottom of the tomato is black. I am hoping it is just one but last time I tried to grow Romas all the fruit was rotten on the bottom.

And that is my CO rental gardening up date.

Ganado likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Motomom34 your thumb is getting greener !!!!

Looks awesome!

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This morning I woke to a bit of a frost. Immediately had to go check my garden and to my horror discovered that my spaghetti squash is being invaded or something.

IMG_4348.JPG IMG_4346.JPG

I looked and didn't see bugs on the leaves. Anyone ever seen this and know how to battle whatever is attacking my squash plant?

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Holy Moly - wished my Zukes looked that big!

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Check for a type of fungus, spray the underside of a leaf with a weak solution of bleach.
    If that doesn't work then you have a mosaic problem caused by one of a couple of thousand virus.

Always wash your hands to prevent cross condemnation.

sec_monkey, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. HK_User

Do you smoke?

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

it's a virus, just toss it and start over, move far away from other veggie

8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[​IMG]

it might be the mosaic virus as HK/G said

cucumber beetles n melon aphids n other pests can carry the virus plus humans can spread it as well by mechanical means

[flm] the affected plants

[gun] the insects that carry the virus

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It is so big and beautiful. I will say, squash seem to be very delicate plants. Milky mildew and all the other issues. Most years they end up infected and I have to yank them. I love squash, all varieties but I am beginning to think they are not hardy plants that one should prep seeds for in case of collapse.

frustrated... :mad:

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. HK_User

Select varieties that are listed as virus resistant.
    Later on be aware of the worms that infect the inside of the main stem at the root line. You will know from two things.
    1 A general Rapid decline of the plant.
    2 Saw dust looking product at the entry site.

No need to get all caught up on killer chems. Just slit the stem and kill the worm.

Remember this is a hardy plant as the Indians grew them as the 3 complimentary plants of Corn, Beans and Squash. All grown from the same point so easy to check for insects.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am off to research these varieties. I cannot start a new plant now because it is going into the hot season. I yanked the infected one and the others should be fine because I had them a few feet apart, the others looks fine so far.

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You just haven't found the right variety for you area.

When I was living in Washington I cold not grow pumpkins. THe closer the variety was to the pumpkin end of the squash range, the faster it died. Was a virus in the soil. Wasps like squash and when they sting the plant it leaves an opening for the virus. Who knew! I could grow zucchini and yellow neck squash but not acorn, or butternut after the 1st year. (zucchini seams to be indestructible)

Zucchini Recipes - because you can never have too many ways to use zuccs!

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024 at 4:03, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7