What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Monkey+

I am about half way through Without Rule of Law. Got it on Amazon and liked the authors other books.

This book isn't for everybody. Its like a course on preping for scavenging and pretty harsh. The author's point being that if all your preps are taken or destroyed, you gotta eat.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Title and author helps in searching for more details.

Title and author might be helpful for others who might be interested in reading the same book...link to a rerview or Amazon would be helpful too.

THanks for the heads up...book looks interesting...probably not going to find it in my local municipal library, but may look at buying a copy.

Amazon.com: Without Rule of Law: Advanced Skills to Help You Survive (9780615592831): Joe Nobody, E. Ivester, D. Allen: Books

Edit: I had a look at the review and sample material on the Amazon webpage for this book. The sample material includes the Table of Contents, Prologue and Introduction. The book covers, quite comprehensively Four main subject areas...Hiding, Evading, Scavenging and Infiltration/exfiltration. The book seems to be pitched at the non military trained / civilian reader, and the language seems to be pitched at that segment accordingly. I think it may be worth having a closer look at.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  3. Hogleg

Hogleg Monkey+

I had intended to right a full review like I have a few others on the site...but wanted to finish it first. Thank you for expanding my little tidbit above. So far, the book has not disappointed with maybe the exception that a few of the pictures are a little dark. Charts and graphs are good though and whoever Joe Nobody is, he is one creative prepper.

I just finished a section where he has you look up nearby food and medical warehouses online, and then go to google earth to print off sat maps of the locations. He recommends you put these in a binder so if you need them later, you have recon material. Very creative.

4. chelloveck

No criticism intended, Hogleg

No criticism intended, Hogleg, we are all indebted to you for bringing the book to our attention. Without your mentioning of the book, I doubt that I would have become aware of its existence. Although most members of the site are American and Canadian, there are some folk here who hail from further away, and this book is most unlikely to appear in their local department store or bookshop.

The full title and author just helps people track down information about a publication more easily. Google or a helpful bookshop employee can do the rest.

The author's suggestion is a god one, but like most intel, the information needs to be periodically checked and reviewed as it is possible that businesses may close, or relocate. A supplement to the Googlemap imagery may be Google Street View imagery which will give additional information not discernable from map view.

5. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinor Pruitt Stewart. It is a compilation of twenty six letters written to her former employer. It is not a "how to" kind of book. It is more of a social comentary. Very interesting read. It was compiled and transcribed by volunteers and is available for free on kindle. It is also available for free at Project Gutenberg at the following link

Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart - Project Gutenberg

6. chelloveck

Have a look at the Gutenburg Project...downloading is free

Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinor Pruitt Stewart. It is a compilation of twenty six letters written to her former employer. It is not a "how to" kind of book. It is more of a social comentary. Very interesting read. It was compiled and transcribed by volunteers and is available for free on kindle. It is also available for free at Project Gutenberg at the following link

Read more: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum...what-you-reading-5.html#ixzz1o7OVHjbvinestter

Thankyou Carly for introducing me to the literature available for free via the Gutenburg Project. Here is another such title available from the Project that may be of some interest to the resident SM folk. It deals with field and domesticated fruit, berries and vegetables.

The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Field and Garden Vegetables of America by Fearing Burr, Jr.

carly28043 likes this.
  7. chelloveck

Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties is a great read

Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties is a great read, good explanations and cute illustrations...with lots of great ideas! Enjoy!

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties, by D. C. Beard.

CAMP LIFE IN THE WOODS
    AND THE
    TRICKS OF TRAPPING
    AND
    TRAP MAKING

Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making

This next one is for CC...it should be read for historical...or hysterical interest only...the methods and techniques may not conform to current best practice, or uniform standards for compliance with statutary requirements for plumbing. This book is for entratainment only.

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Elements of Plumbing, by Samuel Edward Dibble

RightHand likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just started on the ARRL handbook. Should keep me busy for many days.

BTPost likes this.
  9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Business Analysis Book of Knowledge (BABOK)

CraftyMofo likes this.
  10. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I think the big thing for me was how all the countries tried to hide it until it was to late and at the point where it exploded with half the public blind along with the fake cure. That has our goverment written all over it

11. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I just ordered one last night the write up seemed interesting, It's called the patriots by J.W. Rawles.

51HsAwH%2BT5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.

America faces a full-scale socioeconomic collapse—the stock market plummets, hyperinflation cripples commerce and the mounting crisis passes the tipping point. Practically overnight, the fragile chains of supply and high-technology infrastructure fall, and wholesale rioting and looting grip every major city.

As hordes of refugees and looters pour out of the cities, a small group of friends living in the Midwest desperately tries to make their way to a safe-haven ranch in northern Idaho. The journey requires all their skill and training since communication, commerce, transportation and law enforcement have all disappeared. Once at the ranch, the group fends off vicious attacks from outsiders and then looks to join other groups that are trying to restore true Constitutional law to the country.

Patriots is a thrilling narrative depicting fictional characters using authentic survivalist techniques to endure the collapse of the American civilization. Reading this compelling, fast-paced novel could one day mean the difference between life and death.

12. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

You are more than welcome Chello. I find something to enjoy everytime I visit the site. Often I just choose a bookshelf to browse. I would like to point out to everyone that the books are available for download in multiple formats.

13. Lucky Johnson

Lucky Johnson Monkey

Let's see.... I have a long list of things I am reading. It seems I can never just read one book. *sigh*

Lights Out by David Crawford. Excellent book so far.

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. Gotta have my fantasy fix. Next will either be the next book in that series or some Stephen King novel. (He's my favorite.)

Whatever materials my professors want me to read. Taking Digital Photography I and Drawing I this semester. (Yes, on top of homeschooling my children, I'm back in college myself.)

Last, but certainly not least, my KJV Bible. Best book ever to read.

Sapper John likes this.
  14. chelloveck

I have just finished reading "For God and Country"

I have just finished reading "For God and Country: Faith and Patriotism Under Fire" a book by James Yee and Aimee Molloy. The book is about James Yee's career as a military chaplain, with particular emphasis on his experiences as a muslim chaplain at Guantanimo, and his subsequent persecution at the hands of the military and various government agencies.

The book is well written, and easy to read, offering some insights into the detention regime at Guantanimo of alleged enemy combatants in the "War Against Terror". The book left me wondering about the actual effectiveness and competence ofthe Guantanimo detention facility's then Commanding General, and whether that officer bothered to take the West Point honour code (1) with him, beyond the boundaries of West Point when he graduated from that famed military academy. When that commanding general retired, subsequent to his involvement in the Abu Graib debacle, he cited in his letter to the Chairman, Committee on Armed Services, United States Senate (2) that he had
    I wonder whether those "honourable" years of service included his involvement in Guantanimo and Abu Graib? If so, the good general seems to have a most peculiar notion as to what constitutes "honourable".

I give no more credence to the claims of exclusivity of truth held by Islam and islamists than I give credence to the claims of exclusivity of truth of Christianity and Judaism as held by Christians and Jews. Although I do not hold sacred their beliefs, and see no good reason not to question and challenge their faith based beliefs, I would not deny their right to have and express their beliefs. Nor would I countenance the persecution of the faithful, regardless of my own view that those beliefs are unfounded, being without evidential substantiation. Too many people it would seem fall into the error of assuming that all muslims are terrorists, or that all muslims support terrorism, and that all terrorists are in fact "muslim", living authentically the tenets of the muslim faith.

Christians, Jews and Muslims can selectively cherry pick scriptual justification for just about any moral course of action they choose to take, ranging from the most moderate humane compassionate acts imaginable to the most inhumane, cruel and destructive acts imaginable. If some Christians choose to act with scriptural justification to perpetrate inhumane, cruel and destructive acts against fellow humans, other Christians will invoke the "No True Scotsman" fallacy (3) to distance their own faith from the "renegade" "christians" who bring their faith into disrepute, yet many Christians would be loath to allow muslims to make use of that very same argument, believing that in general, muslims and the teachings of Islam are bad!

In some respects, I feel that at times James Yee may be a little naive in thinking the best of some of those to whom he ministered. Just as it would be wrong to assume that all of the detainees at Guantanimo were terrorists, it would be unwise to assume that all of the detainees were innocent either. The difficulty and the challenge is in determining effectively one from the other. That challenge is undermined by a regime that makes it more difficult to evaluate the evidence that establishes the the truth of the matter. The other problem with a draconian detention regime which denies human dignity and basic human rights, is that such treatment is more likely to create militancy where it may not have previously existed, and is more likely to serve merely to strengthen and reinforce militancy where it did previously exist within detainees. It is a lose - lose situation for US interests I would think.

Reading James Yee's story brought home to me the contrast between moral courage and moral cowardice, and the importance of leadership in determining the culture of an organisation. If the leadership of an organisation lacks moral courage and honour, then lesser mortals will merely tend to reflect the lead that is offered to them. The USA's reputation has been severely harmed by its handling of detainees at Guantanimo and Abu Graib et al, and quite frankly, the detention regime in those places has most probably worked against the effective harvesting of any useful intelligence that any of those detainees may potentially have had. Hopefully the nation's leadership, both military and civil will learn from the mistakes of the recent past, and do what is honourable and morally right, rather than what is expedient. Leaders in the past that have followed the path of expediency, without regard to moral rectitude and honour have tended to take their nation into some very ugly places, often to the detriment of the very people who entrusted their political leaders with that power.

Note 1. Cadet Honor Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note 2. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/documents/posteditionb080106.pdf

Note 3. Fallacies of Ambiguity: The No True Scotsman Fallacy

References:

Amazon.com: For God and Country: Faith and Patriotism Under Fire (9781586483692): James Yee: Books

http://atheism.about.com/od/bookreviews/fr/ForGodCountry.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/31/AR2006073101183.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_detention_camp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQJp83E-Dk

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Lights Out Again.

16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Moral courage and moral cowardice - interesting.

17. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Frank Lloyd Wright Collected Writing, Vol 5, 1949 - 1959

18. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Mother Earth News magazine. At least the ads are good.

19. chelloveck

Mother Earth News often has good interesting articles.

I like Mother Earth News magazine, and occasionally buy copies if there are enough interesting articles to make the purchase worthwhile.

I regularly buy Australian magazines of a similar ethos....Earth Garden which has a website Earth Garden - practical solutions for Green living and Grass Roots, which unfortunately does not.

The magazines are folksy, and often have interesting and useful articles.

20. The books stacked on my desk at the moment that I have been reading, have read, and /or are referencing

Holy Bible
    Complete book of homesteading
    Atlas Shrugged
    Unintended Consequences
    How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
    Capitalism , the Unknown Ideal
    Five Acres and Freedom
    Wood Gas Generators and Modification of Vehicle.
    Reloading manuals
    Backwoodsman magazine
    The Collected Works of Horace Kephart
    Nessmuk's works
    Thoreau "On Civil Disobediance"
    Paine "Common Sense"
    Washington's letters collection from University of Virginia
    Zlata's Diary
    A book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho)
    Sun Tzu
    Thunder in the Sky
    Tony Robbins "Awaken The Giant Within"
    Napoleon Hill "Think and Grow Rich"
    Articles on Welding Decorative Window Security Treatments.
    Seed Catalogs
    Tractor Maintenance & Repair Manuel
    Blacksmithing
    Foxfire 5
    Today's Herbal Health (along with my gathering field notebook on what's where)
    The Hunger Games books (borrowed from DD)

Probably a few others lost on the table that I am forgetting.

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7