What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Just finished Journey into the Whirlwind, by Eugenia Semyonovna Ginzburg, about her life during Stalin's Great Purge and her subsequent arrest on bogus charges of being a "terrorist" and a counter-revoluntionary. She was first sent to prison, including 2 years in solitary confinement, then on to prison camps where she spent the next 18 years. She lost her husband and children, her friends and colleagues betrayed her in pointless efforts to save their own skins (both they and her interrogators eventually shared her same fate or worse), and yet through all the death, lies, and misery many around her continued to profess love for Stalin, even writing poetry of adoration to him while those around them were tortured, starved, and shot.

Much like the Obamaphiles would do so here if such a thing ever came to pass on American soil....

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sounds excellent

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

kellory likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I just renewed my subscription to Nuns & Ammo

268-Nuns-and-Ammo-christians-guns-silly.

Locked and loaded: these gals are ready to rock and roll! (music not included).
    268-Nuns-and-Ammo-christians-guns-silly.

Witch Doctor 01, melbo and tulianr like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have worked for Mormans, when I lived in Californication. Good people on the whole, and I still have the book they gave me. Current books :Dewey Lamdin's A king's Commander, Louis L'Amour's Galloway, Larry Niven's The Ringworld Engineers to name a few in progress...

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I listen to audio books on my phone by bluetooth, while I drive. 2-5 hours per day.

8. gomer

gomer Hooligan

I just read I Am Legend, Starship Troopers, Cold Camp and struggled with 6th Column. Oh and an advance copy of The Enemy. It's been published but I picked up the copy in a used book store. Looking at an Odd Thomas book debating whether or not to crack the cover yet. Reading Farm Work Shop (1916?) just now. Bases for Design is definitely next.

Ran down a whole bunch of zombie fiction over the last year or so. 2016, Adrian's Undead Diary, a few others. The two I just mentioned and the Turned Trilogy were about the only memorable ones. I'd say a solid 90% were abandoned long before they were finished. 2016 looked like it was rushed in the last few entries.

Hey, Mudinyeri. What's the word on the UCJ? Anything?

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Just finished book two of Adrian's Undead Diary, and I'm hooked. Ordered book four and started Book three "Midnight" this evening.

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It just arrived. "The Death of Money" by James Rickards.
    forget the trolls in the dungeon, zombies and virus outbreaks. This topic scares the hell out of me and keeps me up at night!

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. Dunerunner

Time to exchange that money into something of value, like food, comfort items, firearms and ammunition!!

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The Other Pilot by Ed Baldwin.... pretty good book so far... interesting fiction al conspiracy book....

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's not so much worrying about me not having money (or having worthless money). It those that are going to be blindsided. Those are the known unknowns. Think about the sheeple without preps and no way to get them. Yep, they are going to do some really stupid things.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Dunerunner

Thus..... firearms and more ammunition.

15. azurevirus

azurevirus Monkey++

Survival Wisdom and Know How,The Ultimate Survival Manual, Camping and Wilderness Survival,Wasteland Survival Guide, The Prepper, Poverty Prepping, Preppers long term Survival Guide, The Scouts backpacking Cookbook,The Beginners Guide to Dutch Oven Cooking, Cooking in Foil are some of the non fiction books I have bought and read in the last 30-40 days

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Amazon.com: The Invention of Heterosexuality (9780226426013): Jonathan Ned Katz: Books

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...s4DYDg&usg=AFQjCNExenXSzDyqaidbs5_5mpYXKOUXcw

It's an interesting exposition of the evolution of opposite sex relationships from a procreative paradigm to an erotic pleasure paradigm.

17. Hathor

Hathor Monkey

Behind the Green Mask-Rosa Koire; For a New Liberty-Rothbard; Liberty Defined-Ron Paul; Weapons of Mass Instruction-John Taylor Gatto

18. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

As a sailor I am loving this book:
    MEMOIRS OF SERVICE AFLOAT, DURING THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES.
    BY
    ADMIRAL RAPHAEL SEMMES,
    OF THE LATE CONFEDERATE STATES NAVY,

This book is free from gutenberg.org. I never knew the CSN sailed the world in search of Yankee prizes.
    Admiral Semmes commanded the CSV Sumter and the CSV Alabama. The first few chapters are devoted to the time period 1787 through 1861 identifying the factors that led to the War between the States.
    He and his crew sailed until 1865.
    GB

kellory likes this.
  19. Dunerunner

Still reading the series of "Adrian's Undead Diary". I'm on book 3, this and two more to go...

20. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Portrait of an Artist; Biography of Georgia O'Keeffe.

This is a wonderful biography, the best I have read and there have been a few. I've studied her in the past because I am fascinated by her work and her life. She was an amazing woman who created her own life to suite herself based on her own needs and without regard for the conventions of the times.

I haven't been creating any visual arts for the past few months, stagnating I guess, and I am hoping I will be inspired to get back to my own work by reading about Georgia.

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7