What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@RightHand I am a fan of Georgia O'Keeffe's work. Much of her work is so sensual, just breathtaking. I saw an exhibit of her work, she was an incredible artist. Thanks for the thumbs up on her book, I will have to read it.

Back on topic- Currently I am reading Stephen Hunter's Snipers Honor. I am a follower of Bob "the Nailer" Swaggart series.

Ganado, E.L. and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

index.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Gotta love Gunny Swagger! Hunter's book "Hot Springs" is probably my favorite of all of his work.

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Reading 'The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Religion and Politics' by Jonathan Haidt.

Great book, in the 1st part he uses psychology studies to show that we are born with an inherent morality of 'do no harm'. He discusses what seems to be the focus of religious and political values.

He has alot of data, that consistently shows, self proclaimed liberals adhere to anything that encompasses fairness and caring. Where as self proclaimed conservatives have 5 values that are typically equally balances, care, fairness, loyalty, authority, sanctity.

its a fascinating book with great in sites into the human mind. Turns out conservatives understand the intuitive mind better than the liberals. Which is why, I assert that the democrats have to recruit new voters to win. Its a fascinating book and a great read.

Here is the website that collects data since 2010. You can go answer some questions and see your results and see where you rank on the scale for care, fairness, loyalty, authority, sanity. Morality Quiz/Test your Morals, Values & Ethics - YourMorals.Org

The most interesting part of this book is where he has his own personal insites as a liberal trying to figure out why republicans are crazy. His conclusions surprised me.

Brokor likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I don't think I have that book....yet. I must check it out.

Further food for thought along the same theme:
    https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-better-word-for-progressive-beliefs-than-progressivism

Ganado likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chelloveck that article has nice visual matrix in it that is pretty good
    [​IMG]

7. chelloveck

Like any model, it should be viewed with a degree of caution. It does not take into account those torn between two or more tendencies, whilst experiencing a degree of cognitive dissonance at the same time.

Brokor and Ganado like this.
  8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chelloveck after you read 'the righteous mind' you will give up cognitive dissonance and go to 'elephant with monkey rider'

10. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

When China Rules The World by Martin Jacques.

Ganado likes this.
  11. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

"Fathered by God" by John Eldridge.

[​IMG]

Ganado likes this.
  12. chelloveck

Reading and understanding the US Constitution is highly desirable here....even for antipodeans such as myself. Welcome to the monkey tree.

Brokor likes this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck likes this.
  14. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Just got done reading that myself. Not as good as One Second After, but still a good sequel.

Motomom34 and T. Riley like this.
  15. chelloveck

Ganado and vonslob like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Ganado likes this.
  18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm reading a great book right now:
    Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda, by Roméo Dallaire, Samantha Power

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Juat finished reading book 7, the last in the series for A. American Going Home series. The last at least for Morgan in Florida but opened up another spin with Idaho and AAmron/Radio Free Redoubt.

Waiting for the seocnd book from AA and Walt Browing Chariles Recqrium which like the Goimg Home series involves a CME with a EMP tossed in for kicks. This one takes place near the "Mouse House" in Florida.

All of them available on Amazon.

Ganado likes this.
  20. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Currently reading The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes (I think its called something different in the States)

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7