What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VisuTrac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We've got a whatcha listening to and watching. How about reading?

I'm currently reading
    'Currency Wars : The making of the next global crisis' by James Rickards.

2. William Antrum

William Antrum GunMetal Monkey

Nuevo Testamento, Extreme rifle accuracy by Mike Ratigan,Stained Glass craft, and wood floors by Dan ramsey. Because no matter what happens its stuff that i wil need to know damn money I have skills.

3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The Best Science and Nature Writing 2012 - Dan Ariely

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Lights Out, The Tank Lords by David Drake, Berserker, by Fred Saberhagen, and the green Mile, at the moment. i just finished the three "school of Magic" books.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@kellory

I hate you! I have been trying to find that book in second hand bookstores for quite a while (Berserker)...it's been out of print here for quite some time. I have read Lights Out and quite liked it...following the places in the plot on Google Maps was interesting.

kellory likes this.
  6. kellory

Send me an address, and i'll mail it to you when i finish rereading it. ;)

chelloveck likes this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'll PM you. but only if i can reimburse the postage

kellory likes this.
  8. kellory

This is from my private collection, so make sure this is the book you are seeking.....;)(a good book, should always be shared) IMG_20130612_064136_701.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Currently re-reading: The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour.

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've been trying to figure out why I had such an emotional response to David McCullough's biography of John Adams. At the end, I found myself sobbing at the deaths of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson as though it were a total surprise. What I finally figured out is that the experience of a biography is somewhat akin to being the pivot on a carousel - standing perfectly still and allowing the characters and events to pass by. With the Adams biography, my kinship to both Adams and Jefferson went from brother to father to adversary to friend to lover and finally to grandfather. When these two died, I felt the loss of each relationship and it left me feeling bereft. That's what a call great storytelling

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am still reading the last three books of the Wheel of Time series.

This is the final, book 14 "A Memory of Light"

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I loved that series @broker

Heinline and Asminov are still my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    Brokor and kellory like this.
  13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm working my way through presidential biographies. I've decided that they should be read in sequence, something I've neglected in the past. I'm hoping that the sequential and interrelated events will help put them in context. Here's the list. Anyone have any personal reviews or suggestions?

George Washington: Washington: A Life, by Ron Chernow; His Excellency: George Washington, by Joseph J. Ellis. READ

* John Adams: John Adams, by David McCullough READ ; Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams, by Joseph J. Ellis.

* Thomas Jefferson: Jefferson and His Time, by Dumas MalonE; American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson, by Joseph J. Ellis; Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power, by Jon Meacham READ.

* James Madison: James Madison: A Biography, by Ralph Ketchem.

* James Monroe: The Last Founding Father: James Monroe and a Nation's Call to Greatness, by Harlow Giles Unger.

* John Quincy Adams: John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents Series), by Robert V. Remini.

* Andrew Jackson: American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House, by Jon Meacham READ; The Life of Andrew Jackson, by Robert V. Remini.

* Martin Van Buren: Martin Van Buren (The American Presidents Series), by Ted Widmer; Martin Van Buren : The Romantic Age of American Politics, by John Niven.

* William Henry Harrison: William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents Series) by Gail Collins; Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Times, by Freeman Cleaves.

* John Tyler: John Tyler (The American Presidents Series), by Gary May; John Tyler: Champion of the Old South, by Oliver P. Chitwood.

* James K. Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America, by Walter R. Borneman.

* Zachary Taylor: Zachary Taylor: Soldier, Planter, Statesman of the Old Southwest, by K. Jack Bauer.

* Millard Fillmore: Millard Fillmore: Biography of a President, by Robert J. Rayback

* Franklin Pierce: Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents Series), by Michael Holt.

* James Buchanan: President James Buchanan: A Biography, by Philip S. Klein.

* Abraham Lincoln: Lincoln, by David Herbert Donald READ; Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin; With Malice Toward None: A Life of Abraham Lincoln, by Stephen B. Oates; Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and The War Years, by Carl Sandburg; Abraham Lincoln, by Lord Charnwood.

* Andrew Johnson: Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents Series), by Annette Gordon-Reed.

* Ulysses S. Grant: Grant, by Jean Edward Smith; Grant: A Biography, by William S. McFeeley.

* Rutherford B. Hayes: Rutherford B. Hayes, by Hans Trefousse (The American Presidents Series); Rutherford B. Hayes, and his America, by Harry Barnard.

* James Garfield: Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President, by Candice Millard.

*Chester Arthur: Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents Series), by Zachary Karabell; Gentleman Boss: The Life of Chester Alan Arthur, by Thomas C. Reeves.

* Grover Cleveland (the 22nd and 24th president): Grover Cleveland: A Study in Character, by Alyn Brodsky; Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents Series), by Henry F. Graff.

* Benjamin Harrison: Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents Series), by Charles W. Calhoun; Benjamin Harrison: Hoosier statesman, by Harry Joseph Sievers.

* William McKinley: Presidency of William McKinley, by Lewis. L. Gould.

* Theodore Roosevelt: Edmund Morris's Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy; Mornings on Horseback READ : The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt, by David McCullough.

* William Howard Taft: The Life & Times of William Howard Taft, by Harry F. Pringle.

* Woodrow Wilson: Woodrow Wilson: A Biography, by John Milton Cooper Jr.

* Warren G. Harding: The Shadow of Blooming Grove: Warren G. Harding in His Times, by Francis Russell; Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents Series), by John W. Dean.

* Calvin Coolidge: Coolidge, An American Enigma, by Robert Sobel.

* Herbert Hoover: Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents Series), by William E. Leuchtenburg.

*Franklin Roosevelt: Franklin D. Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom, by Conrad Black; No Ordinary Time, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. READ

*Harry S. Truman: Truman, by David McCullough READ; Harry S. Truman (The American Presidents Series), by Robert Dallek.

*Dwight D. Eisenhower: Eisenhower: Soldier and President, by Stephen E. Ambrose READ ; Eisenhower in War and Peace, by Jean Edward Smith.

*John F. Kennedy: A Thousand Days, by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.; An Unfinished Life, by Robert Dallek READ .

*Lyndon B. Johnson: Robert Caro's multi-volume set; Robert Dallek's two-volume set.

*Richard Nixon: The three-volume set by Steven Ambrose; Nixonland, by Richard Perlstein.

*Gerald Ford: Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents Series) by Douglas Brinkley.

*Jimmy Carter: Jimmy Carter, by Julian E. Zelizer (The American Presidents Series).

*Ronald Reagan: President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime, by Lou Cannon; My Father at 100, by Ron Reagan, Jr.

*George H.W. Bush: George H.W. Bush (The American Presidents Series), by Timothy Naftali.

*Bill Clinton: First in His Class, by David Maraniss; The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House, by John F. Harris.

*George W. Bush: Decision Points (Bush's memoir); Peter Baker's forthcoming Bush book.

*Barack Obama: Barack Obama: The Story, by David Maraniss; The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama, by David Remnick.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. Brokor

Personally, I would start with Andrew Jackson, then skip to Lincoln, followed directly by Teddy Roosevelt and then continue your list from there. Oh wait...you've already read them. Smart. :)

RightHand likes this.
  15. RightHand

We tend to hold the founding fathers in such high regard to the point of near veneration but they enjoyed all the human foibles that we do today. The politics were as dirty, the news reporting as biased, the cronyism and nepotism as rampant, the service of self interest every bit as great as it is today. While their ideals and the documents produced in the interest of forming the Republic were noble and truly did form "a more perfect union," the participants, for the most part, were noble only in their goals but less so in actions. They used every tactic they could, from bribery to subterfuge, to outwit and outmaneuver their contemporaries. Nothing has really changed. They were united only in their belief that a country free of a monarchy was superior to the alternative.

Our perception of our founding fathers is formed by the eloquence of their words, and the precepts of a free nation that bind us as a nation even today. But lets not fool ourselves - there is dirt under the carpet in the cleanest house

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lincoln: Team of Rivals by Goodwin

RightHand likes this.
  17. Brokor

Well said, Righthand. The only significant difference was/is the power of mass communication/television/broadcasting. Back then, people learned mostly by word of mouth and courier and trusted each other or burned bridges at their own demise. Today, it's staggering at how mind control and mimetic culture can spawn such blatant mindless fervor and charismatic rule without accountability.

GrayGhost, Yard Dart and RightHand like this.
  18. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I like McCullouh's, "John Adams." But I probably won't reread.
    I am taking, " Ben Franklin" by Carl Van Doren with me this summer to reread. That Ole Ben was quite a colorful fella.

We also hi the used bookstores grab mags and some easy reads.

RightHand likes this.
  19. RightHand

I have mixed feeling on the old goat Franklin. Let me know what you think of the the Van Doren book

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I've read it aleady. That speaks to how much I liked it. It's thick

Some of the best stuff are the trivia stuff. That doesn't make the history books. Like he was an indentured servant when he was young...and skipped out. Effectively stealling money. He was quite the ladies man in hi younger years. Etc.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7