What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VisuTrac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

2. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I was just digging for one or two more hardbacks. I came across, "The Patriots Handbook." By George Grant.

I went through a lot of it a few summers ago. It's going with me too this summer I recommend it.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Up until his end of time as I understand it.

Ganado and madmax like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yes I have to laugh that such a brilliant mind was tied to such an amoral individual. ... Franklin was interesting but if I had been born in that time as a woman I would have avoided him. He definitely believed the world revolved around himself. Always an interesting read.

I loved Patton for the same quirky reasons.

RightHand likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I tried to read Glenn Beck's Agenda 21: Into the Shadows. The first book was good and gave me some things to think about. This new book was not so good. I skimmed to the end. I just couldn't read it all.

I finished the first book written by David C. Waldron- Dark Grid. I really liked it. It had some interesting ideas of what to do in case of CME. I thought it was interesting that in the book one character says- the DoE was going to give us 12 hours. I have book 2 so I will be continuing on the series. Book 2 addresses the HOA and how they will handle things. I am so grateful I do not live in an HOA. I would dislike dealing with them in a crisis.

Also picked up a book called Clean Naturally: Recipes for body, home and spirit by Sandy Maine. Love it. I am learning a chemical free recipes. I questioned this one but will try it out-

Lemon-Mint Window wash
    Juice from one fresh lemon
    2 cups water or club soda
    1/2 teaspoon peppermint essential oil
    1 teaspoon cornstarch

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

HOAs are nothing but a bunch of Nosy BusyBodies, who seek POWER, over their Neighbors..... I would NEVER Live where they had any Political Power over Me, or MY Land, Period..... Anyone trying to impose their sense of that BS on Me will be looking down the Wrong End of 12Ga Stainless Pump Shotgun, in very Short Order....... And told they are Trespassing, and have 10 minutes to leave, before I call the Troopers.....

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

When you buy a place with a local HOA, you are given a copy of the rule you agree to follow. If you sign on the bottom line, anyways, it is you own damn fault.

Motomom34, ghrit and Ganado like this.
  8. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Just what our world needs. More home owner associations.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Full time reading Survival Monkey.

Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have been reading this series on Kindle. Lights Out: EMP Post Apocalyptic Fiction Super Boxset Kindle Edition
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EU056NQ/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    I am on book the Grid Down series. Personally I thought the lady in the first books, Grid Down was super annoying but that is just my opinion. The price is super cheap on Kindle, I think it is worth .99 cents

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

"A Long Way Home" bu Saroo Brierley - the memoir of a 5 yr old child from a poor village in India who mistakenly boards a train that carries him all the way to Calcutta on the other side of the country. The book is the story of his life as he tried to survive, and find his way home which doesn't happen for another 25 years. It is the story of poverty, survival, determination and some luck. Great read

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The story has been adapted into an Australian film, "Lion". The film stars Dev Patel, Nicole Kidman, David Wenham, Rooney Mara.

Hope there aren't too many spoilers.

Lion (2016 film) - Wikipedia

Ganado and RightHand like this.
  13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm currently reading "It Can't Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis about a demigod candidate that actually wins the presidential election and turns the good old US of A into a Fascist state run by corporations. Written in 1935.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. chelloveck

That seems a topical book, Visu.....it's unlikely to be in my local library...but will explore online.

Available as a free download from Gutenberg IT CAN'T HAPPEN HERE

The following youtube clip doesn't reference Sinclair Lewis's book, but it is certainly relevant to the spirit of the concerns that Lewis's book explores.

VisuTrac likes this.
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Just finished "Extreme Measures" by Vince Flynn.... A one day read... :)

16. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

Reading Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor". Just started it.

17. chelloveck

Am making my way through "The Untold War" by Nancy Sherman. Nancy Sherman | The Untold War

I highly recommend it to all service personnel, veterans, and the families of veterans, particularly those who are coming to terms with various forms of war trauma. The book is also a valuable resource for those in the helping professions who are involved with war veterans, and their families who are clients.

Nancy Sherman's approach is to examine war trauma within a philosophical (mainly the stoics) and to a lesser extent, a psychodynamic (Freudian) psychology framework. I don't much go for the psychodynamic schtick, but it does simplify the basic issues in a way that is reasonably understandable to the lay person.

upload_2017-2-26_20-4-37.

Although not a war veteran, I have, however, had the existential experiences of dealing with my father's and my son's war trauma, and I have to say, I have also found it helpful in reconciling aspects of traumatic injury, and near death experiences of my own, as a consequence of a near drowning, and potentially fatal MVA incidents that I had been involved with.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  18. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I just got thru reading a book called "Wired to Eat' its the 1st time i have seen a sensible, science based approach to eating. He talks about how we are designed to eat and fast and how to figure out what works for you.

Surprisingly he does discuss why really low carb isnt a fit for most women on a long term basis. It messes up our hormones. He takes the moral and 'relationship' crap out of eating and does a great job of just showing what works and how to make adjustments

Wired to Eat: Turn Off Cravings, Rewire Your Appetite for Weight Loss, and Determine the Foods That Work for You: Robb Wolf: 9780451498564: Amazon.com: Books

if you want an audio over view this is a decent podcast
    Wired to Eat: How to Turn off Cravings - Robb Wolf | Healthy Moms Podcast

20. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

Two more books "The way of men" and "Invading Babylon". Both quite interesting.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7