What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VisuTrac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think that poetry can come in two forms: Literal as Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" and illusionary as "Amen" by James Baldwin. To me, words in any form are a paint brush. The poetry I like best allows me to put myself in the picture they paint.

That reminds me of a painting I saw many years ago at a Minneapolis museum event The canvas was large and painted entirely in white. As I stood there looking, trying to figure out what the artist had intended me to see, the man next to me observed my curiosity and finally introduced himself as the artist. He said his intent was that his painting would be seen by different people in different moods, at different times of the day, in different light, with different crowds and that each person would see reflected back at them shadows and variations, each different than the others so the canvas was simply a place where we created our own picture. Many times I have sat looking at a Jackson Pollack painting and been filled with overwhelming emotions in the same way that I have been unable to look away from The Carpet Merchants by Jean-Leon Gerome.

What I'm trying to express is that each poem, the same as each painting, brings something to me that I cannot express in words but nonetheless fill my heart and feed my soul.

chelloveck, Zimmy and Ganado like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

oldawg and Ganado like this.
  3. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Whereas I am an extremely eclectic reader, I generally like military history and economic history. Here is what I have read in the past month.

Priestblock 25487: A Memoir of Dachau

The March of the Ten Thousand: Being a Translation of the Anabasis, Preceded By a Life of Xenophon

In the Shadows of the American Century: The Rise and Decline of US Global Power

Everything is Going According to Plan by Dmitry Orlov. (Anything from Orlov is great, but heavy on details. He assumes nothing)

And last but not least, I re-read The Forth Turning.

Zimmy likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Currently reading 48 Hours: A novel by William R. Forstchen. He is the one that wrote One Second After. This book is about a solar event.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0765397919/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Zimmy likes this.
  5. Reading Legion of the Damned by William C. Dietz.

Thank You for my Service by Matt Best.

And the Wheel of Time series...

Zimmy and Byte like this.
  6. hot diggity

If This Goes On --
    By Robert Heinlien. First serialized in 1940 in Amazing Science.

Heinlien has an amazing grasp of the "magic in words, black magic -- if you know how to invoke it."
    His character Zeb is employed by the "Psych & Propaganda Bureau." that could be any newsroom nowadays.

Amazing writing.

Zimmy likes this.
  7. hot diggity

Rereading my late friend, Mike Vanderboegh's unfinished novel "Absolved." I think I may have more chapters on a thumb-drive that Mr. St Clair doesn't have, I was reading and critiquing it as it was being written and posted online. A very timely read considering the situation in Virginia.

Absolved

Zimmy likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Spygate .... Dan Bongino

Zimmy, SB21 and hot diggity like this.
  9. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Still reading "The rise and fall of the Third Rich". Long on details and sort of dry. Took a break by reading "Starship Troopers" and "The one percent" , about MC gangs.

Zimmy likes this.
  10. hot diggity

11. hot diggity

12. hot diggity

13. Great niece recently had surgery for cancer. Asked her mom if she was a reader. I had seen the movie "Rebecca", Fontaine, Olivier, Sanders. Gripping movie. So I got her the print book to read while doing chemo. Now great-niece on other side of the family is going through t5he same thing, sooooo I gave her the book I'd picked up for myself. Back to book store for me again. interesting thing is both nieces are totally unrelated, live maybe 50 miles apart, and have the same malignancies. . Back to Manderley.

Zimmy and SB21 like this.
  14. hot diggity

15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Rereading my Andre Norton paperbacks, and replacing some of the best with used hard-bound books while I still can. Sadly, many of Edgar Rice Burroughs books are no longer available, except in used paperbacks, and they won't last forever.

Zimmy, Ganado and OldDude49 like this.
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m reading Three Amongst the Wolves. It’s about wolves. :D

Zimmy likes this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have that book also, since 1983 and it's still in good shape. I read it again back in the summer. I also liked the "Bolo" series about huge tanks with A.I. intelligence.

Ganado likes this.
  18. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers by Brian Kilmeade Great book about the formation of Texas! People stuck on political correctness need not apply!

Zimmy and Dunerunner like this.
  19. hot diggity

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  20. hot diggity

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7