What are your favorite knives/edged weapons for a Bug Out Bag?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Maximus Stomholde, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Mine are :

#1 Gerber Gator Machete
    #2 Light My Fire Swedish FireKnife
    #3 Smith & Wesson SWMP5LS M&P Linerlock Knife

Post yours below.

Dunerunner and Brokor like this.
  2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i have a mora in every bag

Brokor, Dunerunner and fmhuff like this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

At least Mora and Kershaw camp in each.

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. RevJammer

RevJammer Monkey+++

In my bag or on my person, is my CRKT Drifter (my daughter just got me this for my birthday recently), Condor Bushlore, and a SOG Fixation.

RJ

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Looking for a new pocket folder, thinking either Kershaw or CRKT. I am very seriously considering adding my @Bear machete to the bag in my truck.

Bear likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

What is my favorite.....well it really depends on what job I have for it to do ;)

My second answer would be, anything that our own Iron Monkey @Bear has made !!! I have one of his tool's in each rig in our GHB's.

My daily carry is a Camillus folder.....9'' Carbonitride Titanium® Cuda® Folding Knife with Quick Release and G10 Handle.

Dunerunner and Bear like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Camillus electrician's in my pocket, K-Bar in the pickup toolbox, machete on the tractor and a Bear special to grab no matter which way I go.

Dunerunner, Bear and KAS like this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

all_blades.
    1. D.L. original custom fighter, cpm154 steel
    2. C.R. custom mini skinner, D2 tool steel
    3. Rapala folding fillet knife
    4. Cold Steel Trail Boss, with my own customizations
    5. Mora Companion/Clipper with custom sheath
    6. Mora Light My Fire
    7. Mora 546-G Utility
    8. Estwing hand axe
    9.Browning take down buck saw

Now, I wouldn't take all these in one go. For example, I would not take both axes and maybe only take two Mora knives, not three. I just wanted to show some of the variations in choice possible. The title of this thread is "weapons", and the only blades above I personally would prefer to use as a weapon are the Llewellyn fighter, and the axes. However, I could go with one other option I have considered:
    DSC00375.JPG
    Oh yeah, the Cold Steel Gladius (machete) is certainly more of a sword than a machete.

Of course, for some folks, size and weight (especially on a bug out) are critically important. For them, there is the Tomahawk...

DSC00324.JPG
    But, perhaps you don't like tomahawks, and maybe you just want a smaller machete that is tough and durable and will basically chop through anything you throw at it....but does such an instrument even exist?

I think it does. One of Bear's own creations....
    DSC00376.JPG

9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

brokor if i were u ...i would be carring that one @Bear made on my hip or back {crockidle dundee style} all the time ....
    U better not disagree... we are on a role here!!!

Dunerunner, Sapper John and Bear like this.
  10. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

LOL... Thanks for the kind comments @DarkLight @Yard Dart @ghrit @KAS and thanks for the pic... @Brokor always nice to see pics of the "orphans" and happy to hear they are finding their way into a place in your gear ;)

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  11. mikeh53

mikeh53 Monkey+

In pouch on my side, Letherman super tool, Line man's sisers, & letherman parana tool,
    On my keys. Letherman mini,
    In mymwallet... small folding guber

In each bag, Mora, and guber machete,

in truck tool box, Hatchet, & tomahawk (cold steal), double bidder axe

All are... sharp!

Enough I think

Dunerunner likes this.
  12. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35 year old Buck 110 a dog decided the pouch was a chew toy but the knife is still going strong.

[​IMG]

Witch Doctor 01, Dunerunner and KAS like this.
  13. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

My favorites:

-Australian Military machete, by far the toughest machete ever made.

-Gerber Mark I, dagger.

-Spyderco Atlantic Salt, will cut just about anything, quickly.

-Havalon Bolt and a Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter for game

Dunerunner likes this.
  14. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I have a 1943 USMC machete that was carried across most of the Pacific by a friend's Dad. I also carry a Cold Steel Kukri, a 1972 Buck 110, and a Mora Clipper.
    GB

Dunerunner and Brokor like this.
  15. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I'm a big fan of Case knives. The Trapper on top is the one I bought on the base PX back in '74. I've "lost" it several times in the past 40 years but somehow it keeps showing up. About 5 years ago I found a vintage Case Trapper in excellent condition complete with the fancy sheath at a local gun show. I'll admit the new-to-me one on the bottom spends more time on my belt than in the BOB. I prefer the Case Trapper because it has two distinct blades each has it's uses and with two blades I can keep one reserved so it remains sharp.
    [​IMG]

The K-Bar spends most of it's time in the pack waiting patiently to be called up for use.
    K-bar useful for medium chopping and batoning for splitting larger wood.
    [​IMG]

Molle gear, sidearm and boolets go in a different pack. [tongue]

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Bear makes pretties. Neat.

I swear by a Mora Companion. Love Puukko. Always pack at least a tomahawk with me. Looking into some larger knives and daggers that will hold up, and suit my needs.

Dunerunner and Bear like this.
  17. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Wetterling axe, GB hatchet, Custom Kukri, Mora #2, Opinel, and a Corona saw.

Seems like a lot... until you spend some time out there with less. I guess I could be good with the saw and kukri. Maybe I'll try that next fall...

Brokor and Dunerunner like this.
  18. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

It depends, I do not have a dedicated bug out bag, but a bag that the contents change on the circumstances. So it might have a buck 110, a sog field pup, a buck 119, different types of swiss army knives, a leatherman or sog multitool. If the situation was to arise where I would be leaving my house, the destination is well stocked with all kinds of cutlery. In the truck a cold steel bolo machete, corona folding saw, and an eastwing hatchet are waiting to be used. My choices of what I am carrying are plenty. I have four pairs of shoes, almost always wear carhart t-shirts, three belts, one for dress, one for work and one for everyday, but I have tons of knives and different types of sharps, I could go the rest of my life and never have to buy another knife. My want list of knives grows weekly and will never be sated. When I was a child I was knife deprived and that unfortunate experience has turned me into the knife fiend I have grown into. Mothers do not let your children grow up to become a knife fiend like myself, make sure you sons do not grow up knife deprived or they will become knife depraved like me. :(

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  19. fyrmanswanny

fyrmanswanny Monkey

Eric Luther Knives custom made bush craft knife. 4.25" long 2"wide blade, 9" over all, 1/8" thick. CRKT M16 folder. Abiqua Hunter skinning knife and a Fremont Knives, Farson Blade. Sawvivor folding saw. Still deciding on the hatchet/axe I want to add.

IMG_20151213_201723_373.

20. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Monkey+

Mora Companion, multi tool and an Ontario RAT5. image. image. image.

Dunerunner, fmhuff and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Matei
  6. Matei
  7. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado
  10. Coyote Ridge