What basics?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by duane, Apr 9, 2020.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

the takers will decide that its only “fair” that you share your supplies with them. These are the same sort that want to tax me more to pay back their student loans even though I went in the military to get money for my college and they should have done the same. I have NO USE for those types of people. I can be generous but it is on my own terms!

Gator 45/70, arleigh, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I totally agree with you about mindset oddcaliber, a day before the toilet paper "crisis" there were dozens of packages available, 2 days later it was gone and still is. You can have all the knowledge in the world and the best mindset, but sometimes things just fall apart. Using washable rags and a bucket may well be the answer, but you need the rags, the bucket, and the soap and bleach. [sinking]

3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Another month here in CenTex and every yahoo and his dumbazz brother-n-law will be out here playing great hog hunters of the concrete trail. Like it wasn't bad enough before the kung flu deal.

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and IceRanger like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

during a company wide meeting when the lock down had been in effect for about a week. Our CEO was pretty proud of himself. He said that previously he had 2 maybe 3 days worth of food in his house but during that first week he bumped it up to 6-8 weeks of food. and that he had to go shopping himself as instacart was saying delivery was 3 days out.

Gator 45/70 and IceRanger like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

If you don't have in hand now, you won't be able to get it 'then'.

A rule of thumb I've lived by since before I left HS.

Gator 45/70, 3cyl and IceRanger like this.
  7. IceRanger

IceRanger Intellectus Refuticus

I just read a story about MILLIONS of chicks being destroyed by poultry producers because they can't get the help they need to process them. Add to that the COVID complications at multiple pork producers (including Smithfield, which is now Chinese-owned and IMO untrustworthy anyway) and we're looking at real shortages of meat in the coming weeks, with horrendous prices (they're already going up markedly in my area) for what you CAN buy.

This is the real SHTF scenario right here. It's happening, just as preppers have always known it would. BUT--and this surprises me--we at least have a little warning. Most of us prepped with the expectation that Hell would come in a handbasket overnight. We are extremely fortunate that we have a little lead time. We'd better get started now building some SUSTAINABLE preps--because even the best of us will run out of things eventually.

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

OK, we are now a year into this "crisis" with two out of the three branches of the federal government under democratic control, largely due to changes in the voting rules due to the "pandemic". We now have several vaccines approved that may or may not work, may or may not handle mutated strains of the COVID, may or may not be dangerous, and which were created and the production of them funded by Trump's administration and he was way out on the limb. Buyden is taking full credit and giving out shots that without production ramped up before approval, would have first appeared about July. We have almost accepted a scheme for universal basic income, a third of the small businesses have failed and a lot more only continue because of government support, many kids are still not back in the school room, employment sucks, they want a $15 an hour minimum wage, they want to start to legalize millions of illegals and to bring in masses of refugees that by definition require massive amounts of aid, the price of fuel in my area is up 1/3 rd, being white is now a crime, and they wish to rewrite the history books.

Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?[kneelsuckers]

My social security went up less than 2 %, increases in "free" costs and medical insurance more than took that. I am getting nothing for interest on my 401-k, my local taxes for rhe year are now about 1/2 of what I paid for the place in 1980, Loading supplies and ammo are in short supply and in my budget too expensive to buy, I am spending about $150 a week to buy the same food that cost about $100 a couple of years ago, building supplies, a lot of parts, etc, have doubled in last couple years, and the beat goes on.

Doesn't really bother me and the wife, I am 83, she is 80, we long ago got most of what we needed, a little in the bank, some additional income, greenhouse, garden, firewood, etc. The ones getting shafted are those who are 25 years old and starting out. Cheap house in this area is $250 thousand and a lot cheaper than a lot of areas in the country. Good jobs are hard to find, big money at moment in construction, but that can disappear in a moment and has done so repeatedly over my lifetime. Most of recent job growth has been in government or part time.

Bought some fresh chicken thighs that were about to go out of date, cooked them up, took meat off them and put in freezer, took bones etc and cooked with rice, feed it to the 12 year old shelltie dog that owns me and he thinks he has gone to doggy heaven. Hard to stay discouraged when dog is dancing next to dish while waiting for his dry food and treats. House is warm, heated with wood and it is about 10 degrees out, dog is laying next to me, watching both me and the refrig, yard snow plowed and ready for next storm, wife has 3 different soups in refrig, the cupboards are stocked, fairly healthy, all in all, the idiots may be running the country but God has been very good to my wife and I.

oldawg, Tempstar, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Yeah, that pretty well sums it up Duane ! Life is pretty good here too, but like you, I do feel sorry for the young generations.

duane, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Yes it’s sad to get old and be able to remember when things were different. This country isn’t going to be great long the way biden and the hoe are going. If you could go back 75 years this sort of thing did not happen. Yes our country is getting bruised up some what,and it might take some time to get things straightened out but we will. We built back after a civil war,won two world wars ,we will overcome. Matter of fact this little set back will help bring back the things that make our country great.. Trump has been for the USA since day one and still is my president,not creepy joe biden. A hundred years ago there would have been a lot of crooked politicians tarred,feathered and run out of town for doing what they have done so far.
    [flag][flag][flag] Love that flag [flag][flag][flag]

duane, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I went thermal, Them young cats around me will hustle some meat for us..and thats how we roll.
    United we stand,United we hunt,United we clean and cook

duane, Tempstar and SB21 like this.
  12. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Going to go put some wild hog sausage in the freezer next weekend. Just keepin' our heads down and hunkering in until things start to right themselves.

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That is some surprisaly good stuff right there !

14. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

So could weight on the roof. (Referring to the roof top farms in post 17.)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7