What do I do?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by BailyTheFox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

[applaud][applaud][applaud][applaud]

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I was told by a K9 LEO that it confuses the dog. Same with cadaver dogs. That's why they specialize.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I've watched the actual training videos. It ain't the dog that gets confused. The dog has only one way to tell his handler "I found it!!" Do you want to be the officer who reaches for drugs, and finds he has stuck his hand in a bomb? NO! If looking for both one of each dog will be used, each with his own handler.
    The only thing either dog is really looking for, is his toy.

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Thread drifter....lol :rolleyes:

kellory likes this.
  5. kellory

Not really. The point is learn all you can, learn the reasons behind the actions, learn the animals. This is one viable path of training and employment the OP could persue that has purpose now, later, and always, dog training. He like the bigger animals best, and dogs are are big part of many prepper here (yourself included). Knowing how to handle them correctly is a useful skill, weather they are your dogs, or an enemy's. (Or just a bad neighbor);)

Mindgrinder likes this.
  6. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

I really don't know the answer D: also I just got a squirrel that i need to tan. It has the fur on it but I don't have the brains. What are substitutes for brain tanning and the steps for such a process? Its very important i get this right as its my first time

7. kellory

if you don't have brains you'll have to use book learnin. ;)

8. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

That doesn't answer my question lol I mean the squirrel brains! I heard you can use an egg, and also soap and vegetable oil? I need to knnnoooow!

kellory likes this.
  9. kellory

I would suggest you use the search box at the top right of the page. look for making rabbit skin hats, I believe there was a method outlined there gentle enough for rabbit skin that should be fine for your squirrel.

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Hey, Fox! Not everybody has to lift themselves to some level of lofty self adoration by belittling what someone else does for a living. If you work, earn a wage, support yourself without the assistance of the rest of the community, then you are successful. If you need a hand up, then this society is willing to give you that temporarily in the hope you will become self sufficient. Hang in there, know that you are valued and that you can be successful.

BTW, there ain't nothing wrong with flipping burgers or sitting at a desk if it allows you to eventually reach your goal.

kellory, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  11. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Failure is an essential part of learning. Few people get things right "The first time".

Embrace failure, learn from mistakes and then as they say; Get back on the horse.

12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The article mentioned before in this thread links to this page. Some interesting instruction in the comments on using egg yoke. Make a Rabbit Fur Hat from scratch

13. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

I just don't want to waste the animal is all

NotSoSneaky and kellory like this.
  14. kellory

Good, neither do I, however, you must learn from the beginning, not the finish line. Do your best, ask questions, and learn from what you do.
    Be careful of things like don't put lye in an aluminum bowl, it makes an explosive gas! So follow directions, and don't make short cuts without good reason.
    As for wasting the squirrel, I wouldn't worry to much if something does go wrong. Squirrels are plentiful, and it is a small canvas to work with, so it will be easier to handle. All in all, a good choice for a first attempt. When you get into hides that are harder to replace, you will have had the experience to be more confident in the outcome, and know the variables, and options available to you. (Such as what kind of finish, what stains you prefer, what worked well, and what should be changed).

chelloveck, Yard Dart and NotSoSneaky like this.
  15. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Gotta admit it - Kellory prolly nailed it.
    I think training the cop dogs would be an excellent start.
    It's specialized...it pays very well and is totally sustainable if you can do it well enough to start your own kennel.
    I can't see a pro trainer who breeds and trains his own canine officers making less than $60-$100k a year.
    How much would it cost you to go to college for this specialty?
    Could you get the training as an apprentice with an existing trainer?
    I don't know enough aboot it....

16. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Yeah that sounds like a real good idea. I'd like to get into dog training anyway so I can raise good well behaved hounds for myself. My neighbor breeds mastiffs and may know where to start with this stuff so I'll ask her.

Yard Dart, Dunerunner and kellory like this.
  17. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

Late to this thread but I have one suggestion for you. My guess is that you never were good at math. There's an excellent reason for that, your teachers sucked.

Now let me ask you a question I've asked a hundred people who were not good at math. Do you know your multiplication tables from 1 to 12 by heart? Chances are you do not. A good math teacher would have recognized that and had you memorize them. By not having your times tables memorized you were always behind in class.

Do yourself a favor and get some 3 by 5 cards and put the times table on the front and on the back the answers then memorize the answers to the multiplication tables.

You will always have to know basic math no matter what skill you learn. You can do this because little kids can do it.

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Just about any information is available on the internet.

19. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Thanks dude!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7