What do you buy "brand name" and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkLight, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I have a headache and I went to the cabinet and got something for it. Doing so reminded me of the Tylenol ad campaign of a couple of years ago where they were all pissed because people were overdosing on Tylenol, ruining their liver and in some cases dying. The gist of the campaign was "If you are going to OD, we'd rather you just not use our product at all!"

All of that crossed my mind in, like, .12 seconds, including the rejoinder "okay, I won't, you're too damned expensive anyway!" as I reached for the bottle of generic Acetaminophen.

Which brought me to this question:
    What do you buy that is brand name, and what do you buy generic? Me, I buy generic just about whenever I can unless I've tried it and the quality is for suck (and yes, some generics are not good).

Generic and store brand are synonymous for this exercise and the list below is specific to things that have become every day but were once "brand name only".

Things I buy generic or store brand (not exhaustive by any stretch of the imagination):
    Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
    Ibuprofen (Motrin)
    Naproxen Sodium (Aleve)
    Triple Antibiotic
    Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
    Glass cleaner (Windex) - when I buy it rather than make something
    Energy shots (5-hour energy) - $0.69 each at Aldi or $0.71 each at Costco in the 48 pack
    Cold medicine (NyQuil/DayQuil)
    Bandages (J&J Band-Aids)
    Tissues (Kleenex)

So, what do you buy brand name rather than generic, and what are you okay buying generic?

Motomom34, BlueDuck and stg58 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Guns, ammo, certain tools if they fail catastrophically cause you to die or loose a limb.

BlueDuck, sec_monkey and stg58 like this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Which brands do you prefer then? Curious rather than looking to get into an ammo brand war for example.

sec_monkey and stg58 like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

For electronics stuff for my computers, I will buy brand name. Ibuprofen, we buy the generic/cheapest, same with bandaids. For laundry/dish soap, we only buy Seventh Generation brand. For soap, I only use Dove fragrance free, and mom only uses Dr. Bronner's. We use those because has the best ingredients for us. We have sensitive skin, so when we find something that works, we stick with it. Just like our shampoo, only Earth Science/Pure Essentials fragrance free. So basically, unless it's for our health, we tend to buy generic.

I used to love the brand name Cheezits(Sunshine brand), but then dollar store started having generic ones, so I started eating those, to the point where I couldn't stand the brand name Cheezits anymore. And now the dollar store brand, they messed with it somehow, I don't buy those anymore either, just the dollar store goldfish(they call them 'Whales', but they're goldfish). I like snack foods more than actual meals anyways.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sears Craftsman hand tools and I have been buying them since I return. The Brand was great when I was a kid not so sure about it now. I think their 'hand tools' are still okay but a lot of their other Craftsman stuff aren't so good.

I use to like DeWalt power tools and did purchase a bunch upon my return but I have sort of turned against their variable speed drills as the darn triggers are too touchy for me as hard to get a start at a slow speed and end stripping the head of the screw.

Printers I stick to HP (Hewlett Packard) because they make a quality printer, best in my opinion. For laptops I've been buying Acer but I have no loyalty to them and purchase what works and is priced well. Desktops, I prefer to build my own and just today ordered $$$ worth of stuff to build one as I truly screwed the pooch on Black Friday. I didn't realize how Black Friday worked nor how crazy it was and missed a bunch of good deals. It was my first time...

Televisions I stick to Samsung, again I like the quality of their product. But, I have really grown to respect LG and would purchase just about anything they make. I had air conditioners, refrigerators, lots of things by them overseas. I wish now I would have purchased a LG freezers but I couldn't find any around here and ended up buying Kenmore but they seem to be working okay.

Guns are all well known brands: Glock, Remington, Ruger, Colt

Like you, I normally purchase generic medicines whenever possible like Ranitidine instead of Zantac.

Marck, Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@stg58 "Lenovo Caught (3rd time) Pre-Installing Spyware on its laptops" Now, that is interesting and good to know. luckily, I have never purchased a Lenovo. I do know they are a Chinese company and will soon (or already have) open a factory in North Carolina. I hate all the bloat ware on laptops. It takes a lot of time to remove it also...

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

@Motomom34
    Consider making this thread topic of the month for Feb plz.
    If @DarkLight would be willing - consolidate all good brand (y) into the OP when the thread has run it's course and maybe even make it a resource.

Just my .02 while I consider my list.

8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Just depends on what it is. I was in the bread isle at Walmart one day and saw the Sunbeam man stocking Great Value bread. I ask him why and he said "because we make it". Walmart certainly does not produce 99% of the food items that carry their label. They contract with an existing supplier of a product to make their private label product. Then they negotiate shelf space, shelf location, price and exclusively. So, the Sunbeam bread comes off the same production line as Great Value. I buy a lot of Walmart brand products. I just look for a similar shaped container and compare the nutrition label and ingredients list. However, if I am going to need a tool to last, I buy the best I can afford.

Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

In my misspent younger days, I worked in a factory that made shampoo, body wash, mouthwash (no I am not going to tell you it was P&G. Don't bother asking) and every item they made cost five cents. That is label, bottle, cap, contents = a nickle. 95% of the generic or store brand stuff is made on the same line, with the same ingredients, at the same time.

If you like Oil of Olay, or other Procter and Gamble item, just look at store brands and if they list the same ingredients, it is more than likely the exact same thing with a different label/bottle/color whatever.

Same with batteries, there are only five or seven battery companies in the US, can't remember now (and yes, P&G owns/makes one brand of flashlight battery, they own all sorts of companies that you would never think of; food, batteries, electric razors, tooth brushes, the list goes on and on. Some people claim that the moon and star design is satanic, don't know but after working there, well let's say it might be possible), so your store brand car battery might be a Sears Die-Hard with a different label. I like Sears Die Hard batteries.

Most (all?) US made vitamins are made at ONE plant (60 Minutes did a report on this) and when asked the company spokesman said the only difference was the bottle and label. Why do some cost more than others then? Because some are sold as a premium (meaning adverts) item and some as generic labels, but all were made on the same line with the same ingredients.

AVOID China made vitamins or supplements! Half of them (read Consumer Reports) are full of lead, arsenic, and other fun stuff, the other half are not what they claim, usually just sugar pills and fillers.

Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

As a teen I worked for a short time for a clothing manufacturer.We received finished underwear and tee shirts from a sister plant, our ladies sewed Nike, JCPenney, Sears, etc. labels in them. Then we boxed them and shipped them out. I learned then that no company sets up to make generic, and that 99% of generic is the same as high end, the exception being cereal where they skimp on ingredients and tools where junk steel is used. So I buy brand name tools to make my living and brand name cereal. Most everything else, price dictates what I buy.

11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I buy brand name doritos! The store brands don't even come close in taste.

Idahoser, Gator 45/70, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  12. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

For us it just depends on what it is, I buy a lot of generic stuff due to the fact at the Dollar store (my closest store) that is all they have most of the time. I try to buy brand names with making a larger purchase.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When we do buy snacks, we tend to buy brand name - like chips and cheezy-puffs kinda stuff.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Enloop batteries- told they last forever (10+ years) do not skimp on rechargeables.
    Footwear- I buy Merrill, Sorell, etc. I do not skimp on footwear.
    Patagonia- outdoor clothing of my choice. I have been wearing the same shorts for 15 years. They are a bit frayed but going strong
    Mora knife- the blade is taking a beating and still ding free.
    Swiss Army Knives- I buy the red ones not the knock offs. IMO they really are good quality
    Leatherman- durable, made well worth the extra$$
    Lodge Cast Iron- we just had a thread on Walmart dutch ovens. I have a no name dutch oven and I really want to take a sander to it. It is rough and not seasoning well. I will stick with Lodge products from now on.

mysterymet likes this.
  15. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Speaking of brand names, over at facebook, where you know, all the REAL news is, they had this story: News Feed About #BoycottStarbucks | Facebook

All I could think of how awesome the top picture is....can think of so many stories with it, with all the 'activity' and that older blonde gal is making a face towards the other gal who I'm guessing is security?

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Tropicana Orange Juice because I like the taste, I think that may be the only thing that I specifically look for a name brand in.

Ganado likes this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Scott tissue paper. Only and always Scott because it is easier on septics, breaks down faster so that you do not have to pump your septic so often.

T. Riley and Pax Mentis like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

-Florida's Natural grapefruit juice, if I can't find it, I do without.
    -Bounty paper towels, 'cause they are perffed in half sheets if that's all you need.
    -Wolf ammo for practice, 'cause it's cheap.
    -Quilted Northern TP 'cause it's kind to my behind.
    -Oscar Mayer bacon, 'cause it's consistent and the local store brands are somewhere between awful and pukeitup.
    -Hanover frozen veggies 'cause I like 'em.
    -Bush's baked beans, 'cause I like 'em best.
    -Gorton's frozen fish products, 'cause all the rest are short on flavor. (Hallibut is GOOD, so is cod.)
    -Sperry mocs 'cause the make 'em in my wide size.
    -Red Wing work boots, 'cause they make 'em in my size. (Comes to footwear of ANY kind, fit is king.)
    -Lee dungarees 'cause they fit, and there's no need to jump around on one foot in a fitting booth. (After a few years, I know my size, and you oughta have a list someplace with all yours, too.)
    -Tom Sturgis pretzels are the best, but Snyder's will work. Bachman's is a poor third choice, but it ya gotta, ya gotta.
    -Kleenex 'cause it's consistent, box to box, and doesn't piss my nose off with rubbing.
    -Generic aspirin works for me.
    -SK hand tools (Snap on or Proto in a pinch) since Craftsman has taken a dive.
    -Makita power tools, if I expect to ever need them again. There are two grades, junk and superior. You can guess --
    -NAPA automotive stuff, most of it is just fine compared to OEM choices. (Don't waste your time and money at the competition, some of their stuff is OK, but it isn't worth the time to look.)

Hm. Must be more --

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I buy Smuckers jams and jellies...not only because Smuckers corporate HQ and some of their manufacturing is local, but also because I have a face that only a muthasmucker could love.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Jim Beam
    Bush Mills
    BD syringes
    Tillamook for all things cheddar
    Tektronix, Fluke, and a few others for test equipment
    Hakko for all things that solder
    No "generics" where firearms and ammo are concerned

No brand name Band-Aids ever. They are the worst - the cloth ones don't hold and the plastic ones attack the skin.

Everything else is subject to generic based on cost and quality.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Alpha Dog
  6. hank2222
  7. allyn211
  8. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7