What do you buy "brand name" and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkLight, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are so correct about generic band aids. And when they are a few years old they turn yellow. Try band aids are the best. I do not care for the new type ones that a like skin. You cannot get them off.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I buy according to the demand.
    There are things that are expected to be expendable , toilet paper . any thing cheap .
    There are things that my life could depend on ,quality or self/home made.
    There are things I cannot reproduce for the price, that I buy .
    There are things I use for experimentation , moderate quality. ( knowing the strength of materials )
    If you basing on brand names you will be disappointed , seriously.
    I rarely take something back except electronics.
    If it is something I can fix I don't bother bringing it back .
    a lot of stuff I buy is likely to be modified to my satisfaction any way.
    At least 20% of my tools are Snap On ,bought off the truck, because they are the only people that cary the tool, some things custom ordered. Cornwell , and Mac tool , Proto, and a host of others occupy my collection as well,
    Sometimes all you need is a socket cut shallow and welded to a piece of strap steel. some times you use it once and other times you end up making a tool more durable.
    Point is , if you plan your life on learning new skills , it takes some investment ,sometime at a loss but not always.
    Studying what other people made, and how it failed , or stood up to the test.
    Like a guy I was talking to today that has a propane business and bought older tanks and restoring them.
    New tanks are thinner metal, built to minimal limitations . Older tanks are more reliable . If they pass his testing they are cleaned inspected ( cleared and given the official state okey dokey) and put back in service. knowing their materials, I'd rather have one of these than a new one.
    Concerning back packing equipment, I keep needle and thread handy, and a bic lighter to melt loose threads as they appear.
    lastly,
    if you have to rush some where your not delegating your time well.
    Allow more time than you need to get were you going .anticipate delay.
    more accidents happen in haste .

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Sailor Jerry Rum
    Roses Lime juice
    Hp Printers (they have great customer service)

Fish oil, only buy Oceanic cuz it's made with Atlantic krill.

Braggs ACV
    Shoes, I always buy brand name as they are generally better made and last longer (ofc depends on the shoe)

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Anybody buy from Schwan's frozen foods?

They don't service Alaska - but my folks bought it all the time in the L-48. Really like the pot pies.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Alpha Dog
  6. hank2222
  7. allyn211
  8. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7