What do you store that you don't actually use for bribe or barter ?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Jul 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh welding electrodes.
    The ones I use normally use only come in 50 pound cans so I can spare a few.

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I think money during SHTF/WROL will be silver/junk silver, gold, and ammunition once cash becomes worthles. Since most people won't be able to test precious metals ammunition is the easiest. Some of the .22LR I have purchased will likely be used this way once my reserves start to get low. I don't intend to trade more powerful ammunition that could be used against me. I also plan on making up sealed bags of rice, beans, and bullion for barter. At some point salt will become gold if there aren't natural deposits close by.

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a theory concerning knowing or getting full volumes of /gold /silver.
    If one were to take a known sample of the metal, say one .OZ of silver, and have a container that just held it, and a little water . and mark the level the water is at .
    Then take a suspicious piece, proposing it to be equal to your sample, and weigh, and put it though the volume test as you did with your known sample, chances are that if the volume remind the same it is genuine , however if the volume differs even slightly ,it is misrepresented .
    One OZ of pure silver is going to occupy exactly the same volume no matter what shape it is in, jewlery, bullion or coin.
    Water may not be the best media but I am sure there is some media that would suit the need for this.

Bartering for skills and needed materials keeps one some what indispensable, much like a black smith during the dark ages. worth more than gold.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Archemedes method only works if the weights are exactly equal and there are no alloys or other metals with the same densities. In the case of gold, tungsten has the exact same density, and is frequently hidden inside gold to trick purchasers.

arleigh likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is when the PenKnife comes in handy.... You scratch the surface, and see how deep the Gold Plating is.... More that .25" likely not Tungsten....

6. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

I do buy Bourbon and a variety of wines, but I don't drink. I cook with them occasionally....but I do have a stash. The Bourbon could be used medicinally. Bourbon and honey is great for a cold with cough. But I figure they get better with age and will be barter type items. Every thing else I stock we use.... Except the suture/surgical kit.

7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I tend to hold on to guns, ammo, reloading components, parts and accessories that I really don't use or need, just in case someone else has a need for it.

I'm surprised that nobody has invoked Henny Youngman yet in this thread. :D

Ganado likes this.
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

That would be Henny "Take my wife...please" Youngman, no? You're a bad man chimo...I like you.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You betcha!

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have become over stocked on candles and beauty products. Since I am a coupon'er, I am always picking up soap, body wash, razors, toothbrushes etc. for next to nothing. I know that stuff doesn't seem real important but during a collapse of society, something as simple as smelling good could really add comfort and be of value.

Ganado, Yard Dart and arleigh like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Knowing how to make soap might be a valuable trade, being able to add fragrances using existing soaps, might be an edge up. Good idea.

13. BTPost

"Ode de Skunk" comes to mind...

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We're drifting a bit, but so what at this point?
    Why do we miss the old time comedians? The Bob Hopes, the Henny Youngmans, the
    Singing the praises of Eau d' Pepé Le Pew?

[touchdown]

BTPost likes this.
  15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Booze and If I have some odd caliber gun I make sure to have 100 rounds for it to trade the pair for something very valuable, you know like 20 something females or other necessities.

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

Black Pepper

Dunerunner likes this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Whole peppercorn or ground? If ground, How do you store it?

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

What is the longest enduring alcoholic beverage ?

19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Sealed, clear, grain alcohol without additives/flavors. Highest proof you can find short of moonshine. Unless you can vouch for the distilling process, commercial moonshine can have a bunch of crap that causes it to turn after a couple of years.

20. BTPost

It is called Ethanol USP... 99.9% Pure, Reagent Grade.... I used a lot of it, when I was in college, doing research into NitroOrganic Compounds... ATF required a strict Accounting of its use... We had to check out specific Amounts, and log those, on the Distribution Sheet, kept on the 55USG Barrel... and then Document how it was disposed of, or converted into other compounds... and YES, a few liters did make an escape, to be mixed with Orange Juice... Kids......

1. arleigh
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Zimmy
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Legion489
  7. Ganado
  8. hillbill
  9. Thaddius Bickerton
  10. enough
  11. monkeyman
  12. melbo