What do you think your chances are of heading to the hills ?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Nadja, Sep 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Fieldcraft, sent you a PM. I am a B in and will stay here as long as possible. We are however fully prepared to BO and in a quick hurry. Everything we need is highly portable and/or easily packed. We keep several flip tops empty so our pantries etc can be "swept". No need to leave goodies behind. If in the NC/SC area please come to our gathering 15-17 Oct. Lots of survival type subjects will be covered and lots of hands on projects from experience folks. It is all free except for cabins and food. If you want a cabin let me know asap and how many are in your party. We will be buying food next week and it is neighborly to let folks know if you are coming to visit-LOL. Lots of range time and plenty for kids of all ages to do. You can go to carolinashootersforum.com under the Events forum for pics/info of past events. Good time to be had, cheap, and things to learn that we all may have to use.

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

True, enough YMMV.

3. Fieldcraft

Fieldcraft Monkey+++

Got your PM. I would love to come but I'm a little ways out. I'll PM you back.

4. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

5. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

6. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

I have a dear friend who lives in a rural area a couple of hours from us. He swears that at the first sign of trouble he is coming to my house (in the city) and we can all just hang out until all the city folk who are gonna make their way in the sticks starve. Then when the survivors decide to come back to the city, we can all go back out to his place, plant a garden and live happily ever after! [rofllmao]

I'll let you know how it goes if the time ever comes to test his theory! :D

The unfortunate truth IMHO anyway is that there is not really any place that it is going to be comfortable to be should things get as sideways as some are predicting.

My maternal grandparents were migrant farmers during the Dust Bowl. I cannot imagine having to live the way they did. The stories my grandfather told us kids have stayed with me.

Just because I think I can handle a much more austere existence certainly doesn't mean I want to try.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Blog those stories and print them out for the kids, just in case they ever want to know where they came from. (It'll use up some of your hibernation time in the winter.) :D

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well this is were i work,
    We have natural gas generator's,watermaker's....
    Lot's and lot's of fish...
    Crude oil and natural gas......
    I think i could hold out for several month's at one of these location's in the Gulf..........[peep]
    Crew Change 007.JPG Crew Change 008.JPG Crew Change 009.JPG Crew Change 010.JPG

9. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

;) You know, you have a point ... lol. My kids are at that age now where they know everything (20-ish). The oldest has children -- triplet boys and a little girl -- yeah, he has already decided that maybe he wasn't as smart as he thought [slow] but the other two are gonna be in their thirties before they catch on! [rofllmao]

Silly boys ...

Every once in a while they will ask why their great grandparents did this or that or the other ... the boys were in grade school when great-granpa and great-mee-maw passed so they remember some.

I was flabberghasted when grandpa told me the story of how him and grandma nearly drowned going to get married. The old fart they paid a nickel to take them across the river had holes in his boat ... [peep]

Said they travelled for 2 days to get to the preacher and then 2 days back home. Amazing, huh??

10. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Hmmmm...We get all that survival stuff, but we forget something also important...fun and games! Just because the world ended it doesn't mean we have to be bored...I got 6 decks of cards, chess, gammon, monopoly and few more games and dices...I'll also get some soccer balls and some other things...beats playing Russian Roulette... :D

11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

It's ALL fun and games, till someone gets hurt![rofllmao]

12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Could make the supplies last longer though[slow] [rofllmao]

BWM

13. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

[rofllmao]:D ;)

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Hmmmmm...Maybe it's time to get rid of them board games and cards then....?
    Trouble is, with my "automatic", it's gonna get real lonesome and dang quick!

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Lets see "heading for the hills"...Well, give me a few more days, say around the 4th or the 5th of November! I'll be up in between the hills, on my itty bitty isolated island! Unfortunately I can't stay there for any length of time...too much to do in Phoenix. I need to re-locate a LOT of things, to include 2 more 12 x 60 mobile homes!
    Then I'll be ready! ( I have a lot to store and to move 150 miles first!)

16. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

I added 4 more solar panels to my exsisting system yesterday, and will soon be adding my second wind generator as well. Then it will be back to buying and storing more food and other supplies. Since the snow will most likely start falling soon, and we get stuck for several days at a time, the food gets rotated quite often. It is starting to get colder all the time, and it will soon be freezing up here. Now, for about the next 4 months, it will be cold, wet, and covered with white stuff on and off. Now , how are you people that are going to head to the hills at the last minute going to survive up here or anywhere else like this ? How many of you even dread going outside in the morning to start your car and let it warm up ? Are you the same people that think you can survive in the cold wet and white hills ? Really ?

17. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

;)...Good point...

18. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Can't be much worse than Point Barrow Alaska... I'll just get my friendly eskimo guide Nanook and....

19. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

See that's the thing I too have seen those who say What I have in my BOB is plenty to live off the land. No it's not, not ever. the only person who could deal with that would be a hard core military guy who is an expert at adaptability, Lets run down those whom I consider adaptable:Navy Seals, Army Special Forces, Marine Recon. Those are the men and women whom I feel could survive with what they can carry on there back. They have the knowledge needed to survive. Even though the knowledge is there I even think 6 out of 10 of them would die out there due to various reasons.

Lets say you make it to an location where you feel you can build your little lean-to, and you get your fire built. Your sleepy, you go to sleep and a couple rattlesnakes slither there way into your bag unbenounced to you in your sleep you roll over and bam 2 bites. Son stick your head between your legs and kiss your sweet a$$ goodbye. You are done, You are going to meet the one who made you. So get it out of your head that you are John Freaking Rambo. You are not, Survival Out there is harder than day to day living,where you get off work, go to the gym. Then go grab something to eat then go to your fancy gun range with your 5.56 and your glock 9mm, put a couple hundred rounds through each. Then you go home and clean them, ant put them in your fancy lil gun safe, in your 200,000.00 dollar home. you check your gear stock all that other stuff you do. All I can say is I feel sorry for your butt.

Survival is more than just putting together the latest high dollar gear, with your high dollar backpacking food,and everything else you want to think you can carry in your high-dollar pickup.

That is not what survival is about, I'm not saying don't prepare, by all means prepare. but you better have a place to go to, I.E. Cabin to bugout to. and be stocked up there rather than your home, and then You need to be ready to defend your survival cabin. You can put holes into all the paper targets as you wish,but that does not mean jack in a real world survival situation, I mean blowing somebodies head off cause they are trying to relieve you of not only your stuff but your life to. nine times out of ten that person has killed before, Are you willing to do the same? can you kill someone if need be.

I think this is the one thing that needs to be discussed in a thread, as it may well just happen. Are you willing to do what it takes to survive? that is the question, but think long and hard before you answer.

20. beemerphill

beemerphill Monkey+++

Threads on "bugging-out" and "living off the land" are fun to read, and usually thought provoking. I do like them. But, most people would survive a lot longer, no matter what happens, by having good freinds and neighbors. No one, no matter what training and equipment,can survive by themselves. Your best bet will be to belong to your neighborhood and/or group. Be valuable and helpful, and everyone else will do their part to keep you around. If you can, supply some useful equipment for the group. Make sure that you have skills that will be an asset to you group.
    Most of us will never be forced to leave. Accidents like derailments and plant explosions are really not very common. A small kit to keep you going till it is safe to return home is easy to assemble, and not expensive. Most of us will never have to use it.
    Just my 2 cents.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. ED GEiN
  4. yeti695
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Brokor
  9. IndieMama
  10. Witch Doctor 01
  11. college survivalist