What does it cost to use a GMRS repeater?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by William Warren, Aug 7, 2021.

1. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I'm thinking about setting up a couple of GMRS radios for local comms with my family. To do that, though, I'm pretty sure I'd need to use a GMRS repeater - but my days of climbing towers are over, so I'll need to rent someone else's machine.

Here are the questions that come to mind:

1. What do repeater owners usually charge? I'm in North Carolina, if that makes any difference.
    2. How do I find out what repeaters are available? Is there a list?
    3. If you have GMRS, how much power does your radio put out?
    4. What kind of antenna is best for my car? For the house?
    All suggestions appreciated.

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

1- No charge, though many require permission.
    2-mygmrs.com
    3-maximum 40 watts
    4-business band 450-470 such as a Laird antenna. They also make a ground plane base antenna.

BTPost likes this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

MYGMRS.com is a good source for listed local repeaters as @Tempstar mentioned. You can usually email the owner for permission. A few charge, vast majority do not. You will also need a GMRS license if you don't already have one. The repeater owners will want a call sign before they give you permission.

For my vehicle, I use a thru-the-glass antenna and mount it on the rear window. It works well but you need an SWR meter / RF watt meter as you would with any antenna setup.

If you sell the vehicle, simply remove the adhesive and any sealant (RTV) with a single edge razor. No holes in the car body that way.

4. Esar145a

Esar145a New, but not very fresh...

Yep as above mentioned MYGMRS.com is a great reference. You would be best served if you have a call sign to log in to get the full info on repeaters in your area. Listed sites will have contact information and what individual repeaters consider proper and permitted usage. Most repeaters are fairly open to usage so long as you don't abuse or misuse it under it's given guidelines. Basically play nice and you will be welcome. Welcome to the small corner of the world known as GMRS.

5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I have a handy dandy 120' tower at the top of my mountain in East TN. I lease space on it to local internet company so we get high speed wireless in here. I'd be happy to provide space for a repeater if I knew someone interested. I offered space to the local sheriff dept guy for a repeater for their radios because I know they have a dead spot back over in here, but they were not interested.

Looking west toward a lot of East TN:
    [​IMG]

Looking east toward North Carolina. Mountains in the farthest distance are the TN/NC line.
    [​IMG]

Same view east, lower camera angle. My farm is the cleared area just left of center, up the mountain to the tower.
    [​IMG]

View down my pants leg.....ahahahaaaaa
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Dark Wolf and BTPost like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@TnAndy You might try the local Ham Club… They might be interested in a Remote High Site for a Ham Repeater…

7. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Local LEO's are great tenants: I know a guy who rents tower space in Maine, and every time his taxes go up, he raises the rent for the police department's antenna!

1. DKR
  2. bumpshadow
  3. hitchcock4
  4. DKR
  5. Bandit99
  6. BTPost
  7. DKR
  8. BenP
  9. Hanzo
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. ED GEiN