What ever happened to the Militias?

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Ardent Listener, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

A History Lesson

COURT RULES AGAINST BOB STEWART
    by Angel Shamaya - Executive Director, KeepAndBearArms.com a - Posted: 07.13.00
    After less than half an hour of arguments from both sides, U.S. Judge Lawrence O. Andersen ruled that Bob Stewart's Maadi-Griffin .50 Caliber Kit is a firearm, stating that "the preponderance of evidence shows that the kit can readily be made to fire a projectile." His ruling was largely based on U.S. vs. Smith, a case in which a non-firing machine gun was restored to a fully operational automatic weapon through welding and machining --in 8 hours.

"The .50 caliber 'Mardi Gras' rifle is a rifle," said Judge Andersen. He ordered Bob Stewart not to sell or possess the 'rifle' he's been manufacturing and selling for several years, stripping the Stewart family of their source of income and putting smiles on the faces of the BATF representatives in the room.
    (Bob Stewart created one of the earliest shoulder fired .50 BMG rifles and was selling them as an 80% kit that you finished yourself. No serial #, no paper trail. True “Liberty Teeth”. Of course the Feds could not have that. MM)

Just before today's arguments, the judge read into court record the indictment of Bob Stewart on one count of "possession of a firearm by a convicted felon" and on 5 counts of "possession of a machine gun." As was previously reported on both SierraTimes.com and WorldNetDaily.com, the Stewarts contend that the "evidence" was planted. The case goes to trial in the 9th circuit court of appeals on September 5, 2000, judge Roslyn O. Silver presiding. The 9th circuit is known to be stridently anti-gun/anti-self-defense. More of their cases are overruled by the Supreme Court than any other circuit.

Below are: statements from Bob Stewart after the judge's ruling, commentary on today's ruling, and a few action steps you can take to help.

STATEMENTS FROM BOB STEWART AFTER THE RULING

"The Judge screwed American citizens today, as I believe he was directed by his boss to do. He used a case that has no merit. Anyone can go to the hardware store and get the parts required to make a gun in 8 hours! This was a totally different judge than we've seen in our two previous hearings. I'm not surprised, but I am insulted. The judge completely ignored the guidelines of the BATF under Title 18, Section 921(A)(3). They also ignored the fact that the BATF has no jurisdiction until after an item crosses state lines. They are wrong, wrong, wrong. It's a travesty against the Second Amendment, and we need help to fight this in our trial.

"All kits being sold in America are now under fire. Judges like this extend the government's tentacles beyond where they belong. I love this country, and I love this government, but when they run as a rogue agency blatantly walking outside the bounds of what is legal and right, they have become the enemy. Andersen should be ashamed for selling out America to keep his job. Thank you, Mr. Andersen, for working for the evil people trying to enslave America. What happened today was predetermined, as evidenced by the fact that they cut off the shipping of our kits on Tuesday. We don't have a Bill of Rights any more, and we need to fix the system NOW."

COMMENTARY

When a federal agency is cutting new swatches of claimed territory, legal or physical, anything now seems to be possible. The BATF didn't take issue with Mr. Stewart for YEARS of the manufacturing and selling of his kits. If they had an issue, and if the BATF were truly a taxing agency of the Department of Treasury, a simple letter or phone call to address the issue would have been their first move to correct their perceived infraction of law.

The BATF conducted this entire operation in order to get the records of the 2,000+ citizens who've purchased the Maadi-Griffin kits. In the eyes of this farce of an agency, each of those citizens is a criminal who purchased a firearm that bears no serial number. Past customers of Bob Stewart are encouraged to take heed of the fact that the BATF has your personal information and is likely taking the position that you are in possession of a firearm with no serial number. And not just "a" firearm, but THE firearm target of the day. Expect to see the anti-freedom, anti-self-defense crowd to begin bleating for the outlawing of the .50 Caliber Rifle in short order; it's coming. Get one while you can, and get it unregistered if possible.

The BATF also conducted this operation in order to put Bob Stewart and thus Maadi-Griffin out of business permanently. Their intention is to lock him up in a federal prison for a long time, and that is exactly what they intend to do. (They did just that. He was convicted and sentenced to 15 years. He sits in a federal pen today, MM)He already served 16 months the last time the BATF stung him in highly questionable circumstances that never made it to trial--in a 'plea bargain' from the friendly, ever-so-helpful agency who set him up in the first place.

I was told by a very prominent, nationally-known attorney four days ago that I was crazy for defending Bob Stewart because he's a convicted felon. When I explained that his felony conviction was a setup and that he has never done anything violent, in the same breath where this attorney called himself "as pro Second Amendment as anybody," he had the audacity to suggest to me that any felon, under any circumstances, should not be allowed to own a gun, ever, including a rape victim who arms herself to avoid another rape and gets caught for carrying a gun to defend her own life in the pathetically anti-constitution state of Massachusetts. To that attorney I say, "YOU do not even UNDERSTAND the 2nd Amendment OR the right to LIFE itself. Go practice law in Britain."

KeepAndBearArms.com

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP BOB STEWART

There are several action steps we are asking people to take. Some of them involve money, but some of them simply involve a quick email--a couple of minutes of your time.

1) Join our organization if you have not already done so. We're offering a chance to win a fully operational Stainless Maadi-Griffin Model 89 rifle with each membership, and 20% of the proceeds are going to the Bob Stewart Legal Defense Fund. Authoriz.net, our merchant account provider, was down for most of yesterday and part of today. (165,000 of their customers couldn't conduct online transactions.) The system is back up and working perfectly. You can also join by mail. (This is an old article and the raffle is long over MM)

2) Contribute directly to the
    Bob Stewart Legal Defense Fund. No amount is too small or too large. (Bob is a proud man and does not want charity, he paints original oil paintings and sells them to raise funds for his ongoing legal expenses and to help support his family. MM)
    3) Ask SAF and FLDF to support Bob Stewart's defense. If you are a member of either organization, petition them as a member to use membership funds to help this man win his trial.

http://www.thefldf.org/
    Jack Gilbert, Chairman

www@saf.org

Send a simple message with a subject/title of
    SUPPORT BOB STEWART DEFENSE. This is how simple I mean:

"PLEASE support Bob Stewart's Defense by offering funds or legal assistance. A federal judge just ruled against him, and the case is going to trial in September. The case could have strong Second Amendment implications, and Mr. Stewart needs help. (www.MaadiGriffin.com) I know he'd be glad to get some support from you."

4) Spread this message far and wide and ask your gun owner friends to join the cause by doing any or all of the above.

This message was brought to you by KeepAndBearArms.com.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

oldman11 likes this.
  2. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Some of us are alive & well. Check out the links in my sig.

oldman11 likes this.
  3. yonder

Many/most of the gun shows actually forbid this now. That doesn't stop anyone. You will see some vendors selling tactical gear or whatever and will either be wearing a shirt or even selling shirts with the word "militia" or "cidg" on it. Ask some questions and you'll likely get some paperwork being kept under the table, or at least exchange email addresses with someone.

oldman11 likes this.
  4. yonder

After reading the rest of this thread, I have a few other thoughts on the subject. I need to be brief right now as I am just taking a break at work.

The militia leaders of the past made myriad mistakes that got us in the mess we are in today. Some continue to make the same mistakes, as well as some new ones.

First and foremost, hierarchical leadership, movement figureheads, etc. make it easy to tear organizations apart. Throw a guy like Charlie Puckett in jail, and now the rattlesnake has no head. The body withers and dies.

Once someone rises to that level of prominence, they often fall into the trap of working outside the law. They think they can get away with machining full auto sears for AR15's, or making explosive devices. Some of the laws we're talking about here are pretty stupid (like the full auto restrictions) but it is the law until SCOTUS can reconcile the conflicts these laws have with the 2nd Amendment. Hey with a guy like Alito on the bench today, anything is possible. But a case has to make it to SCOTUS first. The BATFE doesn't want to see this happen and will pull the plug on the case or aggressively bargain with the defendant, whatever it takes to keep SCOTUS from hearing it.

Setting up large hierarchical militia organizations not only makes for easy targets for the pheds, but it puts very few people in charge of (potentially) very many. Civilians abhor other folks arbitrarily telling them what to do. The leaderless cell model seems to work the best. I've been pretty much "out there" about my own activities. So far they still let me fly, and still let me buy guns without a delay. No problems getting a CCW permit.

The true militiaman should be allergic to power. If your group is growing too big, break it up. The movement needs to grow larger but the influence of any one person needs to grow smaller.

Are we cowards? Throughout the history of the militia, the officers of the regular army have lobbed this criticism at us (including George Washington, who was no fan of the militia and our likelihood to scoot as soon as things got tough). But our discretion serves us well. Those who turn and run away live to fight another day. I think even Sun Tzu would appreciate the preference a militiaman has for picking and chosing his battles, only chosing to fight when victory seems assured.

We need to stop being so hung up on guns. Guns are important. Guns are what allow We The People to shoot at invaders, tyrants, despots, traitors, etc. But what will keep us alive when and if we are activated is Everything Else. Fieldcraft, comms, survival skills, etc. Instead of eating up 5,000+ rounds of ammo a year sitting at a benchrest at the local firing range, we really ought to be out in the woods trying out our LBE, our tents, our tools. How light can you pack and still move through the woods undetected for three days? Can you set up a stealthy observation post overlooking an enemy stronghold and man it for a month without being detected? Can you pick out a high value target from 800 meters and have the patience to potentially wait weeks to get a sure shot on him?

Running around with a SAW and 400+ rounds of ammo is for the professional army. That's not us. That's one of the big mistakes most militia types make. They want to be GI Joe or Rambo. That's not what we're about. You want to know what we're about? Read about the exploits of Francis Marion. Then go watch The Patriot which was in part based on the life of Francis Marion in the American Revolution. Yes he had a couple of glorious blood & guts major melees in that film but the real beauty of his work was intercepting supply lines in the wilderness, taking out high value targets, and forcing the British to squander front line resources to defend their supply lines in the rear.

All of you should be paying attention to what is going on in Iraq, Lebanon, Cechyna, and so on. Don't be so dead set on emulating a professional army. A professional army has infinitely more resources at their disposal than you do. They have cooks, laundry service, intelligence organizations, armories, motor pools, so much more than any of us can hope for. We would be foolish to emulate them.

Zimmy and apache235 like this.
  5. Ardent Listener

Ardent Listener Monkey+++

Thanks for the reply Yonder.

Murfylang likes this.
  6. Ianstewart1126

Ianstewart1126 Neophyte Monkey

As much as bob believed he was in charge and going to warn the war against the government. He may seem like an inspiration to some. But he would have been stronger and a bigger inspiration if he wouldn have kept his promises. It’s been 19 years since I’ve been able to see my dad and as much as he lived his guns and his fight it’s a rude awakened that is his kids weren’t important enough to put his pride down and do it properly and
    Legally. Or if he would have
    Swallowed his pride and just humbly taken his sentence Originally he would have been home over ten years ago. He would have been a real man if he would have kept at least one promise.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree Lan.... Happy to have you here... Yea, the FEDs like to make "Examples" out of those who stand out from the crowd, and engage in questionable Activities... Sorry, that this has impacted your family so deeply...

8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

III percenter clubs are swelling and I have ran across a couple of groups that seem to be Texas wide that are positioning themselves to "assist in periods of need". I didn't get a bad vibe but they didn't seem like the Cajun Navy either.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Murfylang

Murfylang Gypsy chicken whisperer

Strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times, hard times create weak men. I dont know your situation but I will say this a man willing to stand and fight and die or go to prison for standing on his moral fortitude is a real man!

10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Who is the militia?, you ask. We are all the militia.. Every able-bodied adult in the Nation is a member of the militia, and as such can be called upon in time of need to defend the Nation. You will be expected to present yourself with weapon, ammunition, rations, and such equipment as necessary for service to State and/or Nation. We are the Unorganized Militia.
    As far as the militia movement goes it is dead. It died when the leaders started giving interviews, when they had membership rolls, websites, e-mails, organizational flow-charts. etc. A militia will only work in small cells, 1-3 guys, and it won't work if you try and tangle with regular army. You have to follow the example of the Swamp Fox, The Gray Ghost of the Confederacy, The Wizard of the Saddle and hit them where they aren't. Destroy their supply lines and infrastructure.

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I once was associated with a group of people years ago that spent time and money trying to do civic justice on a different level than what you would see on the news media. We actually tried to help. We had international resources and a community of well-established supporters. Our leader was a ghost, I never even knew for certain if he/she existed and it didn't really matter if it was a person or an ideal, what mattered was the cause was just and right. Some were simply disappeared, others were discredited and the group fell into paranoid silence. I still support the agenda and will until I die but the only reminder of our cause is the challenge coin in my pocket and a certain knowledge that all are monitored, watched, taxed, and controlled. Prey in darkness.

Ganado and Dont like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

But never live in fear.
    scoob.

Dont, Gator 45/70 and Seacowboys like this.
  13. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

there's good power in place now compared to the Obammy days - it'll be a matter of getting Ginsberg replaced and SCOTUS will take on the 2A issues ....
    important thing is to keep the whole issue on the down low and keep the DNC & Leftist from having ammo for the 2020 elections ...
    if the GOP can take back the House you'll see action that the House RINOs wouldn't allow and the current House wouldn't even talk about ...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

...what you saw from 2016 to 2018.
    the last three years have destroyed what hope I had for Republicans. They're truly as bad as democrats now. They're handed a winning hand and they drop their pants and s#!t on it. They WANT to lose. As I've said - We have not proven that we CANNOT govern ourselves, we have only demonstrated that we WILL not. The impossible opportunity has come and gone. There will not be another.

15. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I still have hope,don’t give up.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ginsberg is likely already dead, but it won't be announced until the next Democrat is elected President even if it takes until January 2005.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

They are both globalist, just different time tables..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

Speaking of pizza, here's some food for thought.

alt-market.com/articles/2797-what-is-the-best-method-of-rebellion-against-tyranny

19. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

that's because you look at the GOP as one big happy party - Trump was able to crap on the Bush Family early one - Romney got his - on & on >> the GOP took a right turn away from the traditional old power brokers due to the US voters - but they are still there - resisting to the very end like McCain ...
    if the House comes back Right - you can expect some differences than the previous 2016/18 version - definitely will be more Trump alignment than before ...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I want to believe that. I won't talk it down. But like Nov 2016, I'm pessimistic, I will go to sleep convinced it's over. And look what that brought - your point is proven.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7