What games do you play?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Nov 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Preppers should store entertainment. Tonight we had game night. The kids and I have been trying to turn off the electronics and spend time having quiet family fun, though game night is never quiet. I have the standard board games-

Monopoly, Scrabble, Yatzee and Life

Lately we have been going to the thrift shop and picking up different games.
    -Ruk-shuk: we do not follow the direction because it is hard to build the rock sculptures in 1 minute.
    -Apples to Apples: Great game to play with a few people. There is kids version or adult, great for starting conversations.
    -Puzzles: we love puzzles. It is wonderful to just spread a puzzle out on the dining room table. Something about a puzzle draws you in. We will sit for hours working on one.
    - Uno is the only card game we really enjoy. But we do have regular cards which usually get used for solitaire or rummy.

So what games do you have and enjoy?

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I play chicken on a daily basis; sometimes I win, sometimes I lose but the game goes on for high stakes. If I do play a game for entertainment, its Trivial Pursuit. Other than that, I don't play games.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Texas Hold-em anyone..... maybe a little poker anytime, name the game ;)

Other than that, love me a long game of Monopoly or Axis and Allies.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We play Monopoly frequently...or at least we did before our dining room table got cluttered with junk, mom is trying to clean it up in time for Thanksgiving. We just called it "beat my a$$" because I tended to lose in less than an hour, no matter what. Have decks of cards and a card game book, I'm not sure if we have Scattergories, we have bingo, trivial pursuit, something called Last Chance where you bet on the other players' chances of rolling the dice in 5 rolls the numbers on a card. Also have Life(I like it, mom doesn't), lots of jigsaw puzzles, craft materials, and I dunno what other games we have off the top of my head.

We also haven't played games together really since we got our laptops. I like my computer/video games, mom likes her games on her laptop. And there's also watching our animals be silly. Our youngest cat, since their brother and the only one of our other cats she bonded with disappeared, she's now playing with the dog. It's funny to watch her try and sneak attack him in the yard. She'll hunch up, her butt vibrates/shakes, then she runs at him, half jumps on him, then goes and runs up a tree a couple feet..

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If the kids were near by, Monopoly and Parcheesi. Teaches how to be a good winner and deal with huge setbacks. (But I need to find some bridge players.)

Now that BT mentions it, I've wasted a LOT of time moving pegs around a board.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Ganado, Seepalaces, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick & I play cribbage, once I taught her how, when we were first married. I was taught by my Father, as was my Brother. (The Engineer) My Bro & I play each February, when he comes to visit, for the Presidents Day weekend...

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I used to play dominos, chess and u-no! The family likes Mexican Train, apparently it's the hot new game in the country. I find it a bit tedious, but all games are a little tedious to me.

Seepalaces, RightHand and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Darts, canasta, scrabble, monopoly and a marble game my grandfather made from a square of 3/4" plywood 70 years ago.

Seepalaces, Sgt Nambu and Motomom34 like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Dungeons and Dragons ; and I dust off the Ouija Board occasionally when I have a yen to indulge in a bit of necromancy, but only when my star chart considers it auspicious.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

D&D, level 8 ORC. And we have a rousing game of RISK every so often.

11. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

no games I just love to READ books

Seepalaces, Brokor, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Canasta has always been one of my favorite, many variations of rummy including gin, cribbage, acey duecy or backgammon, poker, blackjack, trivial pursuit, dominoes,
    Actually I only play for fun now days. In the years in the military from ranks E-4 to the day I made E-7 I matched my military pay every 15 day period playing payday stakes ANYTHING. No I am not that good, but I could assess a table in short order and recognize the weak links. if a table was at least 1/2 weak links I would try to get a seat. There is a fool born every minute.

13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

In another lifetime, I'd play Monopoly, backgammon, chinese checkers, chess, Uno, and the occasional pinochle.
    No games in the last 25 years.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Cribbage is a game that never seems to get old. I could see that being a good one if SHTF. I could see poker being a problem though. It only works if there is something of value to wager with. A guy could lose all his ammo in one hand. Then what? You'd have kill the guy and get your ammo back. Bad thing. [afro]

15. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Chess is King, but also play Risk & many of it's variants with Zombie, and Tactical Nuclear Risk being some of my faves, checkers with it's many variants, dominoes, Scrabble, Monopoly, Sorry, poker, black jack, Craps, UNO, rummy, backgammon, Parcheesi, about anything really as I don't watch much TV and enjoy participating in live interactive entertainment with other people.

If you enjoy these games you should seek out a copy of - NEW RULES FOR CLASSIC GAMES by R. Wayne Schmittberger, it can help to add new dimensions to these great old games and is a mainstay of my survival library as being able to escape reality in a grid down or similar emergency will help improve morale within your group.

16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

We have more than a few decks of cards. Maybe because we lived in Las Vegas for so many years... Cards take little space, can be played almost anywhere and most cards games require some thinking and math to play.

There are literately a seemingly infinite number of games to be played with a simple deck of cards. Buy a book to go with, if needed.

Gin Rummy and Cribbage.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When my son was living with me, years ago, we played air soft battles and fencing, a friend teaches me some martial arts and ti chi.
    Living alone do a lot of air gun practice and sharpen my leather slap, shooting from the hip.
    I can't seem to out draw the mirror. Also knife, and ax throwing . Archery and spear throwing.
    So far as board games go I've got them all including several antiques .
    I have a collection of musical instruments as well ,in the event others have the desire to learn .

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I forgot one, Monoply Empire. Fun for me because you can finish an intense game in a half hour!

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oh yeah we have Parcheesi and Sorry, mom likes them. I asked her if while we're waiting for the turkey on Thursday to cook if we can play Monopoly. I tend to insist that we put Cat Ballou in the DVD player first, because I've decided the monopoly game pieces are characters from the movie :)

20. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

im playing Ark Survival Evolved right now.
    I have a private server up if any monkies would like to play.

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Seepalaces like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7