What gun is the gun for you

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bishop, Jun 20, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup, good all around gun for when I'm walking the place this time of year.

2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

A loaded one.

D2wing, Dunerunner, HK_User and 3 others like this.
  3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Handguns,
    Ruger mark lll
    Browning Buckmark
    Smith model 27 .357
    Smith model 57 .41 mag
    Rifle,Winchester hi-wall 45-70
    Ruger 10-22
    Shotgun,
    Mossberg 935 12 gauge
    Also I forgot my ruger .22hornet which is my go to gun.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    HK_User, Gator 45/70 and ochit like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The question in the OP is which gun do you shoot the best?

With one exception I've gotten rid of all my firearms that don't shoot better than I can. The sole exception is a M&P 9 and the problem is with me and not the pistol. So, I'm keeping it for now while I work on my technique. Interestingly I shoot it's much smaller brother, the M&P Shield, as well as I shoot any other pistol.

I shoot all long guns better than I shoot pistols. I prefer pistol grips on my long guns as they improve my control and piss off most of the lefties out here.

Now we are down to my answer and it's a hair splitting one since I split hairs every day at work. Technically a firearm has to have a smooth bore to be a gun, because if it has rifling it's more properly a rifle. My only smooth bore firearm is my Ket-Tec KSG shotgun, so I'll go with that.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Im good with every thing I own, so it's kind of a loaded question, after all, thats why own the arms I have! That said, hands down the FAL and the 1911 are my two most trusted, used, carried, shot, and generally loved, so they get the nod every time! For a .22 rifle, it's ether my Winchester mod 52 or my Anschutz mod 64, and for .22 pistols, ether the new Ruger MK-IV or my Hemerilli target master! They are so good, it's not even fair! Beyond all that, my work horse H&H .375 Weatherby or my Ruger Alaskan .338, or my Springfield 1903 A-4 stalking rifle get the job done each and every time they go afield, and for danger near or far, it's a Marlin XLR .45/70 custom!

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Star .380 for concealed carry.... Winchester model 12 or Remington 58 for trap and skeet, 1934 Unique Olympic grade .22 pistol for accuracy, parker Hale 1400 in .308 for distance and cheap ammo... I have others but at $69.00 per box I cant shoot them that often...

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All of them I own are the gun for me. If a modern gun is not accurate I trade it off for something else I want .
    The more accurate it is, more often I'll shoot it, and use it for hunting and defensive purposes.
    Vintage guns are fun to fondle and learn their mechanisms, but a few their age is too frail to shoot.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The 1911 (in .45 always) is just unbeatable for my use, and I am a bit of a snob that way. It's perfect, simple...only a little heavy.
    The Springfield XD9 is pretty amazing with the trigger job I did on it, and it's my "tacticool" wep of choice.
    The XDs in .45 is the best CC I've used, and I wouldn't expect anything less than this level of quality from Springfield.

Rifles, depends. Anything will do if I'm familiar with its ammunition and ballistics.

GrayGhost, Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

For me its an easy choice.
    Its my Hawken Rifle copy in .54 caliber.
    Walnut stock , Davis percussion lock , double set triggers , weight around 10 LBS
    36 inch Orion barrel , 1-72 twist , 80 grains of 2F .15 patch and a .530 round ball.
    That loading has helped win me many a rifle match and kept me and my family fed .
    Deer , Bear , Elk and grouse ( head shot ) have fallen to my use of this rifle.
    It is the one rifle that if I really need that one and only shot to count , that I reach for and use.
    Its also the rifle that I shoot the most...loading and firing it are almost "second nature" to me.
    Andy
    Hawken.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Excellent firearm. My T/C Hawkin .50 has taken deer and hogs here in Texas. While not deemed my first go-to rifle yet, it is my fall back for when cartridges and components for repeating arms are no longer available.

11. AndyinEverson

Thank you Zimmy.
    T/C Hawken rifles are a fine rifle...lots of guys use 'em here in my neck of the woods , both as hunting and rendezvous guns.
    Sounds like you and I own both cartridge and muzzleloading firearms....in my book that's a great way to be.
    Andy

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Under gunned here .45, but it was a rescue gun. Bent stock from sitting in a corner, took a while but it is now straight.

13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

My dream since childhood has been to own and be proficient with a LeMat from horseback.

It's on my bucket list. I've been good at refreshing the list.

Dunerunner, AndyinEverson and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nice Green River Skinner!! Oh, the rifle rocks, too. :D Did you build that beautiful nose stuffer?

Ura-Ki and AndyinEverson like this.
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

For me it is my Colt 1991A1 in bead blasted stainless. It was my first handgun purchase, but not my first firearm and without doubt the best fit for my grip. Better than the Taurus 24/7 Pro or the PT111 G2. For concealment in summer, it is the PT111...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. AndyinEverson

Thanks Dunerunner...
    No I did not build my rifle...a dear friend of my did.
    The skinner is a Christoper and Johnson ,from Sheffield England , circa 1890-1900.
    I won this knife at a rifle shoot...I did make the handle...its compressed cow horn.
    This knife still gets used as a camp knife , hunting knife and a kitchen knife.
    Andy

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. AndyinEverson

Not a gun ...but the knife in question in my first post here , in this thread has a new handle...
    Sorry for the thread drift...
    Andy
    DSC05780.

Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  18. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Very nice. My favorite gun at the moment is a Springfield trapdoor 45-70 rifle or the Springfield trapdoor 45-70 carbine. I shoot mostly blackpowder and 405 or 500 grain lead. Most people think 45-70 as a short range caliber,what little they know. I also have a 1885 hi-wall in 45-70 that I shoot smokeless ammo in. I believe you’ll fix right in with the other monkeys.

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. AndyinEverson

Thanks Old man 11
    Those Trapdoors are a nice rifle...
    Here is mine...from 1879....
    Andy
    DSC06576.

Dunerunner likes this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here is an Old School Cool fighting rifle from the greatest generation, and one of my favorites! bdc2ba4add54ab0dd1c8b18064fb0cb1.
    And a project/restoration in the mighty .404 Jeffries!
    35_winchester_v_1521624239.JPG
    And when things get sporty, my old war horse Marlin .45/70
    [​IMG]

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Bishop
  4. Bishop
    Thread

Air javelin

Just got this in and I am liking it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 18, 2021, 5 replies, in forum: Firearms
  5. Bishop