What happened to Separation of Church and State?

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by azrancher, Nov 29, 2016.

1. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

A Texas Republican announced over the weekend that he plans to resign his post as a member of the Electoral College rather than cast a ballot for US President-elect Donald Trump, a man he deems "not biblically qualified for office."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-ele...152847695.html

Rancher

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Geez, I don't know what to say about this guy except maybe - good riddance? :)

3. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

This has nothing to do with separation of church and state. It has to do with an individual and his understanding of what his religion requires of him...

Motomom34, chelloveck, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I admire his quixotic convictions (somewhat), though his reasoning makes no rational sense. In fact, the Texas Republican would seem to be ignorant of his own country's Constitution.
    There is no requirement for a candidate to be "biblically qualified" for (the) office (of POTUS). A POTUS could, potentially be an atheist, a satanist, a humanist, or a pastafarian as far as that is concerned. For all intents and purposes, Donald, might just as well be an atheist....certainly I doubt he'd score very highly in a PEW research quiz on Christianity, let alone world religions. :eek: U.S. Religious Knowledge Quiz

Interestingly, Art Sisneros, would be considered a "faithless elector". Faithless Electors - Fairvote

I agree with PAX that this is not a church / state separation issue.

In my opinion, The Electoral College, and the nation is better off without this doofus as an Electoral College member. (n)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Brokor, Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

since there is supposed to be seperation of church and state, I have to admire that the guy is resigning rather than voting how he wants too. Unlike that idiot woman in NC who went to jail instead of doing her job as county clerk. If your principles interfere with your job, you resign the job, especially as a public official.

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ganado likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey Chell, you left out "Mormons" ala Mitt Romney....

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. chelloveck

Well, a POTUS could potentially be a Mormon, but the odds are likely to be longish, but definitely shorter than an openly Satanist's chances.....On the bright side, if a Roman Catholic can be elected POTUS, an LDS candidate is not utterly out of the question.

Concerning Mittens; although some fundamentalist Christian evangelicals might doubt that Mormons are actually Christians, I think that Mittens probably knows more about actual Christian doctrine than the Doofus-In-Chief elect. Mittens lack of success in the presidential stakes probably has less to do with his faith alignment, than the fact that he IS Mittens.

Wild Trapper likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Mr Sisneros is breaking his pledge to the State of Texas. He should be ashamed. He uses filmy excuses. His whole statement as to why is selfish. He is a man that is acting like a child and trying to justify his actions, like a sore loser. He is one of those that is trying to promote the division and illness in this country. In our home if you do not want to do something but it is your duty, the saying is- suck it up, Buttercup.

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Just my not so unbiased opinion, we, in these United States, have never, in my lifetime, had a POTUS that was what I would call, Biblically qualified. We've had good and some not so good, and then we have obummer.

That said, I also know of no "biblical" qualification to be POTUS, didn't we, (not me), vote in a Muslim for the job - twice.

In some states this mr sisneros guy would be facing a fine for not voting the way his state voted. Maybe killary and soros are paying him off.

Sgt Nambu, Mountainman and Aeason like this.
  11. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

This jack-wipe was an electoral office voter and KNEW he would be voting for Hitlery or Donald. If Hitlery had won, would he still have resigned? If not, WHY NOT?! Is he afraid of death threats to himself or his family? Why not report them if he was? Oh, yeah, forgot, Obummer is NOT allowing the FBI to look into that either. As far as an open satanist being elected, Hitlery DID get the "popular (if dead) vote".

Mountainman, 3M-TA3 and Wild Trapper like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

\

Where did that idea come from? Sounds pretty undercreative, whoever dreamed it up.

chelloveck likes this.
  13. chelloveck

I guess it all depends upon which part of the cemetary "the departed" were voting from....Since when do the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and Pastafarian deceased suddenly become satanists merely because it is alleged that Democrats have engaged in some electoral jiggery pokery on Hillary's behalf? Your evidence that Hillary is openly a Satanist is?

14. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Actually 2 slates of electors are chosen, one by the Dems and one by the Reps...he is a Republican Elector, from the time Trump won the nomination, this guy knew he would be required to vote for him if he won the state. Had Hillary won, he wouldn't be voting at all.

Ganado and ghrit like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

its so irritating that the republican party peoplewon't get up behind Trump. I dont like alot about him but he is now our leader, time to man up and get over themselves.

16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Seems everybody these days wants their 15 minutes of fame... Sheesh, what a moralistic looser.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. chelloveck

Maybe its because Trump is not so much representing the Republican Party, but representing himself....Seems like an Independant candidate just used the Republican Party as a trojan horse, to get elected prez, in a cunning way that he may not have been able to do, had run under his own "Make America Great" colours as a genuine declared independant.

Any obligations to the Republican Party in my view, are probably as tenuous as his commitment as a Christian to Christianity. Why should the Republican Party support Trump any more than what he may offer as useful to them. I dare say that if in any conflict of interests between Trump and The Republican Party, the elephantines may not necessarily count on Trump's support, or compliance. That is Trump's strength, and his weakness. Trump may well face as hostile a Republican Party majority Congress and Senate, as Obama did, on some issues.

chimo and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chelloveck you could be right, and Trump was elected and ran as a Republican so they party needs to man up!

Wild Trapper and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. chelloveck

I think Trump is more of a [​IMG] than an [​IMG] :LOL:

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have been thinking quietly to my self that this may be exactly the why and how Thump won the office! He is NOT a politician, there for he is an unknown! He can swing from branch to branch as the need or mood strikes hem, and no one can really say or do any thing about it! Like Ganado says, it's probably Thumps greatest asset, but also his greatest "Challenge" Time will tell this tale, 4 years from now we will be a little better off, or a hell of a lot worse!!!

Sgt Nambu and Legion489 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7