What Have I Learned From Women?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I know that this thread will go to hell in a hand-basket pretty quick, but I was pondering the things that I have learned from women in my life that are important. My grandmother was our family matriarch and many of my most valuable lessons in life, I learned through her.
    I learned to stand up for myself and others, even knowing that I might take a beating. I learned the value of music. I learned food preparation and storage. She taught us drying, freezing, and canning. I learned the value of prayer from her, though my belief in Deity never developed, I still believe in prayer and devotion. She taught me the value of listening rather than speaking. And most importantly, she taught me to face my responsibilities and persist, against all obstacles. The women in my life have been a blessing and though I might be a bit slow sometimes, I learned a lot of truths from them, without which, I could not have survived this long.

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have learned more about myself from women during the course of my life, than from men. Not that I have learned nothing from men, but from women, pretty much all of the intuitive human relationship / communications stuff.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

One of the more important (and least often discussed) things that a man has to do is learn his limitations. Over the years, it is the ladies who have taught me most about my limitations. If I had to reduce it to one short sentence, I'd say that women often see in color where men (particularly myself) only see in black & white. It is by hanging with the ladies that my worst faults have been minimized, and my greatest strengths cultivated--at least to somewhere near the point of diminishing returns, give or take.

My mileage has definitely varied.

GOG, Georgia_Boy, Ganado and 5 others like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have learned from women to always look busy and at what points in a conversation to make it look like I'm listening to her during the Super Bowl.

5. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

I have learned from most of the women in my life to be more patience. Another thing is trusting my gut instinct more than I had before I meet my wife.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have learned the value of Yes Dear and Ok Dear and all women have a 3' long finger when they point out what needs done.

oldawg, chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have been some what disappointed in life concerning women.
    When I was young, most of the older women I knew were wise, and at least smart, we could have intelligent conversations, but it seems there are far fewer of them any more.
    I miss having long and thought out conversations the exchange of ideas and feelings with out gossip or whine .
    Much of my conversational skills have been atrophied after being punished for starting a conversation with some one that has an ax to grind. drama, drama, drama.
    Or they don't seem to have any interest in the news or technology or any thing other than broken relationship issues.
    One of the reasons I like it here and other boards I visit, is there are actually some very interesting people here, worth listening to.

Ganado likes this.
  8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have learned from a couple girl friends and especially my wife how to discern a little bit better when it is and when "It's not about the nail." I too often want/try to fix something.

AT

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    GOG, Ganado, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  9. Seacowboys

I have had a very fortunate life, always surrounded by quality people. This has been a matter of conscious choice and never chance. While I have certainly been in the company of lesser minded folks, mostly focused on the moment, I choose those that remain friends and associates carefully. I learned this from a woman. I have those that I am associated with by mutual indentured servitude, but I get paid for that and don't have to bring them home to play with my puppies. Other times, I have learned by the mistakes of others, touching a hot iron works just as well as reading about what a burn is, maybe a little more so, but seeing someone else raise a few blisters has it's advantages too. I had women teach me all about passive-aggressive behavior; not something I want to use, yet I can smell it coming and know how to avoid the consequences, for the most part. And that G-spot thing? Without a woman, you'll never know.

yeti695, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I have learned that as long as there is a woman around I can never get lost because she will always tell me where to go, and usually how to get there.

GOG, oldawg, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  11. Seacowboys

I sort of guessed this would take a slightly misogynistic direction eventually....yet I still feel I owe most of the characteristic I hold dear and essential, to the teachings of a woman. God Bless you all, let the flames begin.

Tikka and chelloveck like this.
  12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Learned how to hunt and fish from my sister she also made me tough and not to take any scrap of of anyone. IMG_0374.

GOG, Mountainman, tacmotusn and 6 others like this.
  13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I learned the value of keeping my mouth shut around women and just shaking my head in the correct direction. Yes ma'am, no ma'am, thank you ma'am, I'll do better ma'am. Now if I could just translate what I learned into what I actually do, I'd be a much happier man with fewer scars and bruises, maybe a few more of my real teeth....

tacmotusn, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I went from an uncivilized barbarian with no expectation of living past 25 to a housebroke barbarian with culture due to the influence of a woman. It took decades.

GOG, Ganado, chelloveck and 4 others like this.
  15. duane

duane Monkey+++

Old saying is that men make all the important decisions, should we go to war, what the UN should do, why the president is wrong, etc. Women make the minor decisions, what we are going to eat, where we are going to live, what we should wear, etc. We seem to have lost sight of the fact that for most of us older people, our mothers and grand mothers took care of us until we started school and established the patterns that we have followed for the rest of our lives. I think that for the most part women used to take a blank slate, a two year old, and influenced their behavior and civilized them. Most of us over the age of 60 reflect to the world what we learned from women and it doesn't seem to work as well when child raising is done by a day care center etc.

oldawg, tacmotusn and Seacowboys like this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Sometimes it's not important to have a solution to a problem... sometimes it's better to just listen and let them figure out the solution

Sometimes patience is better than action...

How to appreciate the little things

How to enjoy an evening stroll with someone you love...

How important it is to have someone who cares when you are incapacitated...

sometimes it's not about the words... its about the holding...

How someone can love and put up with you for 30 years....

17. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

your grandmother sounds as awesome as mine

18. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I am a blessed man. My wife spoils me rotten and I play catchup.
    GB

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

All I am and will ever be, I owe to my mother.

How happy I am, I owe to my wife.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Motomom34
  3. wideym
  4. Ganado
  5. Ganado
  6. Yard Dart
  7. RightHand
  8. john316
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary